[net.unix-wizards] kernal question

hurf@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Hurf Sheldon) (09/16/86)

	system: uvaxII, ultrix1.2,

	We are having difficulty getting 8bit output through a dhv11 to
	a HP laserjet. I have found a note from the net (rick@nyit.UUCP)
        concerning a fix to dh.c which I have done. My problem now is
	what to do with it. I can't seem to find the dh.o binary in my
	/sys/BINARY.mvax (there is dhu.o & dz.o) - do I recall correctly
	that the dz driver also drives the dh on a uvax? - anyway dh.c
	is entered in the files.mvax list - if i put my dh.c in /sys/vaxuba
	will I create confusion? Seems to me that would be the case.
     Hurf Sheldon			Arpa.css: Hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies
     369 Upson Hall			phone: 607 255 7267
     Cornell University
     Ithaca, N.Y. 14853

In article <1027@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU>
hurf@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Hurf Sheldon) writes:
>system: uvaxII, ultrix1.2,
>We are having difficulty getting 8bit output through a dhv11 to
>a HP laserjet. I have found a note ... concerning a fix to dh.c ....

A DH is not a DHV; the drivers are no doubt completely different.
To get eight bit output, set LITOUT mode:

	int set = LLITOUT;

	/* what is the `official' type for the third arg to ioctl? */
	/* I think it has changed several times now... */
	if (ioctl(fd, TIOCLBIS, &set))
		/* gripe */

The driver bugs, which certainly *should* be fixed in Ultrix 1.2,
may be surmounted by re-asserting the baud rate:

	struct sgttyb sg;

	if (ioctl(fd, TIOCGETP, &sg) || ioctl(fd, TIOCSETP, &sg))
		/* gripe */
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris