[news.misc] Request to be added to Herr Uhrig's kill file

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/24/88)

In article <5132@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1 (Tom Neff) writes:
>								    Kill files
>obviously have their place to handle uninteresting topics, but using them
>to *blinker* oneself from views or attitudes one dislikes is the height of
>net.folly.

I have zero objection to being in anyone's KILL file.  In fact, I encour-
age it.  I use them extensively.  It's the only way to read Usenet.  And
Werner is not "hiding" from anything--he merely has better things to do
with his reading time.  Werner and I exchanged a little e-mail on the
topic--he wanted me to stop.  I got mail from others asking me to continue.

Werner voted YES on c.w, btw.

>	     If Herr Uhrig has an enemies list, I demand inclusion.

It's not an enemies list.  It's merely a boredom list.  Although I find
it strange that he didn't put "women" in his KILL file.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: newsgroups and Usenet itself
are driven by reader *interest*.  Not by what they *ought* to be inter-
ested in.  Not by what "society" says the correct topic *ought* to be.
Only by what the readers are actually interested in.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

tjw@cisunx.UUCP (TJ Wood WA3VQJ) (06/25/88)

In article <11311@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

>I have zero objection to being in anyone's KILL file.  In fact, I encour-
>age it.  I use them extensively.  It's the only way to read Usenet.  And

I agree.  Proper use of KILL files can even make soc.men and soc.women
interesting.  The invention of KILL files is the neatest thing since
"sliced bread".  I have only 1 word in my KILL file for this group and
I've missed almost all of this net.rarebit stuff.  With 2 words, I'll
miss it all.

Terry

--
(UUCP)     {decwrl!allegra,bellcore,cadre,psuvax1}!pitt!cisunx!cisvms!tjw
(BITNET)   TJW@PITTVMS