[news.misc] Ads on the net...What if we had a "catalog" site?

gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) (09/14/88)

Here's an idea for general brainstorming:

What if there were a "catalog" site: someone who specifically accepted
submissions from all and sundry vendors/providers/retailers/etc.  This would
constitute a catalog of net accessable services, products, whatever.  It could
be set up as a database kind of deal, with key field searches based of different
catagories of products, services.

I think it would have to be done so that each organization using the service did
their own maintenance/updates, and care would have to be taken that competing
entities got even-handed access/display.

I'm a little hazy on how it would be accessed by people wanting to search the
database.  A complete transfer of the entire database could get out of hand,
but I don't know how a user could access a particular site and run a search
program remotely.

The idea here is, obviously, that _I_ do want to see advertisemnts on the net,
but I _don't_ want all the newsgroups to degenerate into a commerical.  I have
a machine (with limited freee space) that I'm in the process of bringing up that
I would be willing to try this out on _IF_ 1) it meets with net approval and
2) it can be done without tying up my dataline during the hours when I use it
for my profession  (1400-0000) 3)it doesn't require that I spend all my free
time administering it.

Also note that I prefer to hack hardware, not software, so I'm not likely to
write any incredibly spiffy software, but I would be happy to work with anyone
who thought they could.

Since this is offered as a discussion starter, lets use followups, not mail.
.

Still working on _natural_ intelligence.

gary@percival   (...!tektronix!percival!gary)

jim@fsc2086.UUCP (Jim O'Connor) (09/15/88)

In article <1363@percival.UUCP>, gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) writes:
> Here's an idea for general brainstorming:
>
> What if there were a "catalog" site: someone who specifically accepted
> submissions from all and sundry vendors/providers/retailers/etc.  This would
> constitute a catalog of net accessable services, products, whatever.  It could
> be set up as a database kind of deal, with key field searches based of different
> catagories of products, services.
>
> I'm a little hazy on how it would be accessed by people wanting to search the
> database.  A complete transfer of the entire database could get out of hand,
> but I don't know how a user could access a particular site and run a search
> program remotely.

I subscribe to the uunet service, and they have an archive service which
accepts requests for archive files via e-mail.  For instance, doing

$ echo send volume1/elm2/part14 from comp.sources.unix | mail uunet!netlib

will cause instructions to transfer that particular file to your machine.
(This may only work for uunet subscribers, so please don't try it.)

As I understand it, there is a program at uunet which gets all the mail
intended for "netlib", which then interprets the lines in the message as
requests (if possible), and then processes them.

Could something similar be used in this case?  For instance, use

$ echo search category.hardware for keys modem 2400 MNC | mail somesite!catalog

to request info.  Then the program that reads catalog's mail, could use the
"keys" to look up product info in whatever fashion is appropriate.  Once
found, the info could be mailed back to the requestor using e-mail.

As far as submitting info goes, a program could process

$ cat prod.annouce | mail somesite!catalog

where the first line of prod.annouce contained info about what category the
annoucement should go into, and perhaps some important key words to be
stored for fast look up (other keywords could be looked for using something
like grep).  The rest of the message would contain the announcement/advertise-
ment, and could be stored as a (possibly compressed) text file.

This would keep ads out of the news itself, but via the e-mail work, would
still pass the stuff through the network.  As long as the catalog site can
get e-mail from most everyone and send to most everyone, then equal access
should be maintained.  Some sites might object to adding an incentive to pass
more commercial info via e-mail, but since there already seems to be some
of that going on, it might not hurt anything.

Question to pose:  since having such a site might reduce the e-mail traffic at
  vendor's machines, and the overhead of answering the same requests over and
  over again, and get their product's name into the hands of possibly
  thousands of user's, would companies who wished to make info available through
  such a service, be interested in paying membership
  fees to support the costs of the catalog site?  Of course, for this type of
  system to work really well, requests for info from users would always be
  free of charge.

What other ideas are out there?
---
James B. O'Connor		+1 615 821 4090 x651
Filtration Sciences Corp.      UUCP:  uunet!fsc2086!jim
105 West 45th Street           or      jim@fsc2086.UUCP
Chattanooga, TN 37411