[news.misc] Usenet: Is it 'dying'?

news@ivucsb.UUCP (News Administrator <news>) (09/06/88)

In article <21244@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
> The `Death of Usenet' has been announced annually for at least the
> past 6 years, usually during summer.  Interesting that it has been
> `dying' for longer than it was `alive.'

Just how long has USENET been alive, anyway?  I just got my system linked up
a month ago.

Has anyone written a history of USENET?  Could they post it or send it to
me email?

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/07/88)

news@ivucsb.UUCP writes:
   Just how long has USENET been alive, anyway?  I just got my system linked up
   a month ago.
   Has anyone written a history of USENET?  Could they post it or send it to
   me email?

Periodically (monthly? bi-weekly?), an article titled, "USENET
Software: History and Sources," is posted to news.announce.newusers.
It'll come around soon again.

--Karl

In article <16463@apple.Apple.COM>, fair@Apple.COM (Erik E. Fair) writes:
> Answer: No.

Dead on.

> USENET is so richly connected that it would take an act of Congress
> or a nuclear war to shut it down.  I stopped worrying about the death
> of the network in 1983 when USENET went over 500 sites.

Not to recommend that people defy Congress or anything, but I can't see
how Congress could possibly shut the net down without completely
ruining computer-computer communication in general.

> Have you sent in a UUCP map update to your regional coordinator
> recently?

Yes.  Has he posted it?  (How recent is *your* u.can.qc.1?  (Canadian
sites: no need to tell me; I got it too.))

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

chip@ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/19/88)

According to dave@onfcanim.UUCP (Dave Martindale):
>For three years (or perhaps more), a machine called "micomvax"
>provided the major newsfeed for the Montreal area.  [...]
>Two months ago, micomvax decided to get out of the news forwarding
>business.  [...]
>A couple of weeks after that, the administrators for many of the Montreal
>machines met in a bar downtown, and worked out a new distribution network.

This method of problem-solving may be more common -- and effective -- than
the net.doomsayers would have us believe.  For example, when AT&T bowed out
of the news forwarding business, much of Florida was stranded without a news
feed.  After one evening of head-bashing and mapmaking, we (Tampa Bay area)
sysadmins arrived at a scheme which is better than before (it includes
redundant feeds originating at uunet and gatech).  As a bonus, the tba
groups are now propagated faster.

>As long as there are enough people with the desire to support it, and
>some spare machine cycles and disk blocks, Usenet will remain connected.

Righto.
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.