[news.misc] CTS garbage

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (09/20/88)

What d'you guys do?  Pass this around by mail and then say, "Gee, lets swamp
net.all on Monday?"  This is seriously obnoxious.

Ya know... seems to me that far more trash comes out of gryphon.CTS.COM than
any other site, including Portal.  If I remember correctly, they are always
one of the Top 25 posting sites, with most of that to alt.flame, talk.bizarre,
etc.  Maybe it's time to remove CTS from the net?
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1@ames.arc.nasa.gov

allen@sulaco.UUCP (Allen Gwinn) (09/20/88)

In article <1014@vsi1.UUCP>, lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:

> Ya know... seems to me that far more trash comes out of gryphon.CTS.COM than
> any other site, including Portal.  If I remember correctly, they are always
> one of the Top 25 posting sites, with most of that to alt.flame, talk.bizarre,
> etc.  Maybe it's time to remove CTS from the net?

At least on gryphon, everyone uses their own name (just like you do).  They
don't hide behind pseudos the way the Portalets do.  As for the comment
about "more trash" coming out of gryphon than Portalet, you obviously
haven't been keeping up with current events... either that or they
better delay the launch of the space shuttle again until someone double
checks your work :-)
--
Allen Gwinn  ...sulaco!allen        Disclaimer: The facts stated are my own.
"At the source of every error blamed on a computer you will find at least two

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (09/20/88)

-
-Ya know... seems to me that far more trash comes out of gryphon.CTS.COM than
-any other site, including Portal.  If I remember correctly, they are always
-one of the Top 25 posting sites, with most of that to alt.flame, talk.bizarre,
-etc.  Maybe it's time to remove CTS from the net?

The difference between CTS and Portal (one of the multitudes of them, anyway)
is that the Gryphon users post to appropriate groups.  They may be posting
to alt.flame, and talk.bizarre, but they are not cross-posting it excessively.

In addition, you'll note a real name associated with each login/posting.
Something you will not always find from those who post from Portal.

(Another comment I have about this article can be found in alt.flame, and will
 not be cross-posted.)

--
David Bedno (aka The Cat in the Hat) Now appearing at: davidbe@sco.COM -OR-
...!{uunet,decvax!microsoft,ucbvax!ucscc}!sco!davidbe -OR-

"They used to say that pot leads to heroin.  Now we know it just leads to TV."

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (09/21/88)

In article <271@sulaco.UUCP> allen@sulaco.UUCP (Allen Gwinn) writes:
>At least on gryphon, everyone uses their own name (just like you do).  They
>don't hide behind pseudos the way the Portalets do.  As for the comment
>about "more trash" coming out of gryphon than Portalet, you obviously
>haven't been keeping up with current events... either that or they
>better delay the launch of the space shuttle again until someone double
>checks your work :-)

First: I'd like to thank the kind people at CTS for flooding my mailbox with
replies of practically zero content.  I do apologize for not flaming the
Texas cabal, apparently the originators of this trash.

Second: Sorry Allen, I don't work at ames.  They just happen to be the
backbone and internet site we talk to, so I show them in my signature.

Third: From the last Top 25 by site:

         No. of      % of
Rank Articles Kbytes Total  Site
   3   437     430.6  1.1%  cup.PORTAL.COM (Portal Communications Company)
			      5% alt.flame
  11   229     248.7  0.6%  gryphon.CTS.COM (Crash TimeSharing)
			      20% alt.flame 14% talk.bizarre 13% soc.singles
			      7% alt.aquaria

While Portal posts more, CTS's garbage content appears to be higher.  In
addition, from the Top 25 by user:

         No. of       % of
Rank Articles KBytes Total   User
  14   108     108.2  0.3%   richard@gryphon.CTS.COM  (Richard Sexton)
			       31% talk.bizarre 20% alt.flame 16% alt.aquaria
			       7% alt.config
  19    85      88.5  0.2%   oleg@gryphon.CTS.COM  (Oleg Kiselev)
			       26% alt.flame 22% soc.singles 12% talk.abortion
			       12% talk.politics.soviet 9% alt.sex 6% talk.politics.misc

196.7 out of CTS's 248.7 total from these two alone.  And _all_ to trash
groups.  Portal doesn't have anyone in the top 25.

I've seen a lot of very informative postings from Portal in comp groups.
Since I don't read the trash groups, I don't know (or care) what they post
there.  It does bother me when alt.flame slops into the news.all groups, and
the biggest offenders here are Richard, Oleg, and several Texas posters.  In
defense of the Texas posters, I have seen useful information from them.  The
useful information from Portal, too, pays its way on the net as far as I'm
concerned.
--
Larry Blair   ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1@ames.arc.nasa.gov

oleg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (09/21/88)

In article <1018@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>  14   108     108.2  0.3%   richard@gryphon.CTS.COM  (Richard Sexton)
>			       31% talk.bizarre 20% alt.flame 16% alt.aquaria
>			       7% alt.config
>  19    85      88.5  0.2%   oleg@gryphon.CTS.COM  (Oleg Kiselev)
>			       26% alt.flame 22% soc.singles 12% talk.abortion
>			       12% talk.politics.soviet 9% alt.sex 6% talk.politics.misc
>
>196.7 out of CTS's 248.7 total from these two alone.  And _all_ to trash
>groups.  Portal doesn't have anyone in the top 25.

I see you included alt.aquaria, alt.config and talk.politics.soviet in your
list of "trash" groups.  Especially with the readers of the former two groups
you have completely lost your credibility.

I suggest you go suck on your big toe now, Larry.  It will take a while
before people take you seriously.
--
Oleg Kiselev            "No regrets, no apologies" -- Ronald Reagan
(213)337-5230           ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.cts.com

davidbe@sco.COM (The Cat in the Hat) (09/22/88)

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) said:
-
-I've seen a lot of very informative postings from Portal in comp groups.
-Since I don't read the trash groups, I don't know (or care) what they post
-there.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  I resent your use of the term
"trash groups" to describe any group which is not purely 100% technical
in content.  And if you don't read them, how can you know that what is
being posted in there is trash?

Newsgroups exist for a number of reasons.  Just because you don't read a
particular group, you seem to label it trash.  I could call comp.sys.mac
a trash group, because none of the articles there have any relevance for
me.  So don't call a group "trash" because it has no relevance for you.

<I'm trying to be polite, so while I would normally insult you here,  >
<I will refrain from doing so.					      >

And, just for your information, I've seen a informative postings from Gryphon
also.  And the mass of informative Portal postings come from a) two people
(that I can think of off-hand) and b) those two people use their real name,
and not a "handle".

Please, think before you post next time.