[news.misc] A SERIOUS DILEMMA FOR THE NET

To the members of Usenet:

Hello.  There has emerged, what we feel to be a huge problem.  For
a while now, the net has been plagued with postings from several
"people" at the Portal System (tm) in California.  The postings are
made from ambiguous accounts such as "Spartan", "Hijacker", "Argent",
"ANKH" etc, ad nauseum.  It is our opinion that the Site Administrator's
decision to let subscribers use these "handles" (and apparently change
them at will) encourages some of them to post irresponsibly, and perhaps
not use the best of judgement when doing it.  I offer as a "for instance"
the fairly recent incident of "jj@cup.portal.com" who posted a plea for
money across the entire net, cross-posting to most of the newsgroups.

This problem might be solved if the management at the Portal System would
simply replace or augment  the "XPortal-User-Id:" line with the (l)user's
real name.  This situation would perhaps force a poster to use more
discretion prior to posting, knowing that his or her *real* name would
be attached to the posting.

If the Site Administrators at the Portal System are still uncertain as
to whether or not they should implement such a thing, perhaps those of
us who feel this way could help them out by assembling as complete a
portfolio of these postings as possible.  Then, mail them to
'root@cup.portal.com' along with your comments as to why you feel
the postings are inappropriate.  This will aid their staff in resolving
the problem by presenting them with *complete* first-hand evidence.

I thank you, and Usenet thanks you. It's your net. Do it now.

--
                            Life is fishforks.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM (Miriam Nadel) (09/19/88)

To the members of Usenet:

Greetings.  There has emerged, what I feel to be a big problem.  For
a couple of weeks, the net has been plagued with postings from several
"entities" at the Portal System (tm) in California.  The postings are
made from ambiguous accounts such as "Spartan", "Hijacker", "Argent",
"Ankh" etc, ad nauseum.  It is my opinion that the Site Administrator's
decision to let subscribers use these "handles" (and apparently change
them at will) encourages some of them to post irresponsibly, and perhaps
not use the best of judgement when doing it.  I offer as a "for instance"
the fairly recent incident of "jj@cup.portal.com" who posted a plea for
money across the entire net, cross-posting to most of the newsgroups.

This problem might be solved if the management at the Portal System would
simply replace the "XPortal-User-Id:" line with the user's real name.  This
situation would perhaps force a poster to use more discretion prior to
posting, knowing that his or her *real* name would be attached to the
posting.

If the Site Administrators at the Portal System are still uncertain as
to whether or not they should implement such a thing, perhaps those of
us who feel this way could help them out by assembling as complete a
portfolio of these postings as possible.  Then, mail them to
'root@cup.portal.com' along with your comments as to why you feel
the postings are inappropriate.  This will aid their staff in resolving
the problem by presenting them with *complete* first-hand evidence.

Miriam Nadel
--
"I deny that I have ever given my opinion to anybody"   - George Bush

mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM    <any backbone site>!gryphon!mhnadel

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (09/20/88)

In article <7106@gryphon.CTS.COM> mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM (Miriam Nadel) writes:
}This problem might be solved if the management at the Portal System would
}simply replace the "XPortal-User-Id:" line with the user's real name.  This
}situation would perhaps force a poster to use more discretion prior to
}posting, knowing that his or her *real* name would be attached to the
}posting.

  This is, at best, a bit difficult to arrange and certainly an untenable
  net.precedent.  You may object to "Inquisitor" handles, but point of fact
  no one knows _anything_ about anybodys name around the net.  I suppose one
  could argue that "net pseudonyms" are to be verboten, but I'm not sure how
  one would enforce that or what penalty might be invoked.  There are the
  well-known ones (_hobbit comes to mind right away), plus the virtually
  useless ones ("From" field is "ajport@<someplace>", with the signature just
  saying "aj" -- so who IS that?) -- will we get to (or have to) vote on
  whether a particular net identity is "acceptable"?

  Perhaps it is enough simply to complain to the sysop and just require
  that sysops know who maps into the various net handles for postings from
  that site, and you can always contact the sys admin if you have a
  complaint.

  This _may_ have been posted by.... (if such a person actually exists at
  all):

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (09/20/88)

In article <7086@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>To the members of Usenet:
>
>Hello.  There has emerged, what we feel to be a huge problem.  For
>a while now, the net has been plagued with postings from several
>"people" at the Portal System (tm) in California.
>If the Site Administrators at the Portal System are still uncertain as
>to whether or not they should implement such a thing, perhaps those of
>us who feel this way could help them out by assembling as complete a
>portfolio of these postings as possible.

  This is unlikely to work, as it is these "people" who pay the bills for
Portal, not us. What we need to do is get their feeds to cut them off, so
we can get rid of this crap forever. I for one have *never* seen anything
useful come out of portal. As far as I can see, it is a company that is making
lots of money off USENET while causing serious damage to it (or allowing their
users to do so, which amounts to the same thing).
  Unfortunately, Portal's main feed appears to be uunet, and there isn't
anything in the UUNET policy (as I understand it) that would permit them
to refuse service to anyone willing to pay for it, even should we be able
to convince them that it is a desireable thing to do. So it would seem that,
as long as we have UUNET, the continued existence of things like Portal is
an unfortunate side effect.

--Greg

mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM (Miriam Nadel) (09/21/88)

In article <29839@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>In article <7106@gryphon.CTS.COM> mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM (Miriam Nadel) writes:
>}This problem might be solved if the management at the Portal System would
>}simply replace the "XPortal-User-Id:" line with the user's real name.  This
>}situation would perhaps force a poster to use more discretion prior to
>}posting, knowing that his or her *real* name would be attached to the
>}posting.
>
>  This is, at best, a bit difficult to arrange and certainly an untenable
>  net.precedent.  You may object to "Inquisitor" handles, but point of fact
>  no one knows _anything_ about anybodys name around the net.  I suppose one
>  could argue that "net pseudonyms" are to be verboten, but I'm not sure how
>  one would enforce that or what penalty might be invoked.  There are the
>  well-known ones (_hobbit comes to mind right away), plus the virtually
>  useless ones ("From" field is "ajport@<someplace>", with the signature just
>  saying "aj" -- so who IS that?) -- will we get to (or have to) vote on
>  whether a particular net identity is "acceptable"?

This is not terribly difficult to arrange - there is already a line on every
posting from Portal which says "XPortal-User-Id:" followed by a sequence of
numbers, which indicate which Portaloid has posted that particular piece of
drivel.  (I admit to having seen a very rare posting from Portal which is
not complete drivel, but such postings have always had a real name attached
instead of a handle.)

Admittedly, we do not know if someone is using their real name.  But, in the
case of business and university machines, one can track a users affiliation.
In addition, the username in the from field won't change, while the name
associated with it may, while one needs to waste time with a cryptic bunch of
numbers to determine that killer@cup.portal.com is the same dweeb as
wasser@cup.portal.com, for example.  Other public access sites and private
sites do not permit one to avoid taking responsibility for one's postings in
the same manner.  In addition, Portal's legendary Usenet interface apparently
permits one to post without knowing anything about Unix, editors, etc. making
it far more accessible to people who cannot be bothered to understand what
they're using than other public access sites.

Note that we have not taken the extreme step of requesting that Portal be
removed from the net.  We are merely asking that their users be forced to
take responsibility for their actions.  I am tired of users who have
excessively long signatures.  I am tired of users who can't be bothered to
use e-mail instead of posting.  I am tired of users who don't know how to
edit out 240 lines of previous responses before adding a one word reply or
nothing at all (except the 16 line signature, including how to reach them
by carrier pigeon.)  Portal users are certainly not the only people to
abuse the net in this manner but, when there are a large number of users
at a given site who refuse to practice good netiquette, one can only hold
the site responsible.  In addition, Portal users - and management - have
repeatedly violated the strictures on commercial use of the net.

Miriam Nadel
--

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (09/21/88)

In article <29839@bbn.COM> you write:
|>  This is, at best, a bit difficult to arrange and certainly an untenable
|>  net.precedent.  You may object to "Inquisitor" handles, but point of fact
|>  no one knows _anything_ about anybodys name around the net.
|>  Bernie .. cosell@bbn.com

Its not really the handles they are objecting to, its the lack of
responsibility that these users are using when posting articles to the
net (the alt net in particular).  I have to back-up these folks on this
point -- I don't always agree with Richard & Oleg, but in this particular
case, I think they have struck a note with many of us.

+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Gil Kloepfer, Jr.                  | Net-Address:                           |
| ICUS Software Systems              | {boulder,talcott}!icus!limbic!gil      |
| P.O. Box 1                         | Voice-net: (516) 968-6860              |
| Islip Terrace, New York  11752     | Internet: gil@icus.islp.ny.us          |
+------------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) (09/21/88)

In article <7106@gryphon.CTS.COM> mhnadel@gryphon.CTS.COM (Miriam Nadel) writes:
>Greetings.  There has emerged, what I feel to be a big problem.  For
>a couple of weeks, the net has been plagued with postings from several
>"entities" at the Portal System (tm) in California.  The postings are

{Details of problem and suggested remedy deleted}

The other option is for whoever is providing them a newsfeed to (briefly)
interrupt the service.  That ought to 1)get their attention and 2)stifle any
further outbursts of the "_we_ are the dominent force on the net" variety.

I'd hate to see anyone lose a feed permanently, but it is one way to stop the
deluge of trash.

I wonder how long those people would continue paying to mail garbage to each
other?

Still working on _natural_ intelligence.

gary@percival   (...!tektronix!percival!gary)

sac@well.UUCP (Steve Cisler) (09/21/88)

I recently read an article in MacWeek on the number of
scanned photographs on commercial systems (CompuServe, GEnie,
Portal) and while most services said it was not illegal or
a problem, Phil Sih of Portal claimed that Portal is a COMMON CARRIER.
Now that is an interesting defense; it is consistent, even if it
is wrong. I think that he would use that same argument about the
posting of the real id of all his Dr. Cracker type of subscribers.
Since Portal relies so heavily on Usenet for value, I think the
peer pressure of other system administrators will be very
influential.
Steve Cisler
Connect: Libraries & Telecommunications
Box 992, Cupertino, CA 95015

Phillip_M_Dampier@cup.portal.com (09/22/88)

A reminder:

jj.cup.portal.com was immediately removed from Portal once the messages from
him started.  I would also point out that JJ did not only use the facilities
of Portal to post his "College Fund" messages.

I would like to see the blatant stereotyping of all Portal users as teenagers
who are irresponsible stopped.  You people are allowing a few bad apples to
influence your views in general on Portal users.

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (09/22/88)

In article <718@ncar.ucar.edu>, woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) writes:
> In article <7086@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>   This is unlikely to work, as it is these "people" who pay the bills for
> Portal, not us. What we need to do is get their feeds to cut them off, so
> we can get rid of this crap forever. I for one have *never* seen anything
> useful come out of portal.

Well, you haven't been looking then, Patrick_Townson posts some very
interesting and valuable stuff from Portal and there are others.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

rfarris@serene.CTS.COM (Rick Farris) (09/24/88)

In article <9337@cup.portal.com> Phillip_M_Dampier@cup.portal.com writes:

>I would like to see the blatant stereotyping of all Portal users as teenagers
>who are irresponsible stopped.  You people are allowing a few bad apples to
>influence your views in general on Portal users.

I don't suppose it occured to you that the "you people" you're speaking of
are adults, and know exactly what they're doing?

There's this problem, see; on a system with (reputedly) 15,000 users, a
small minority of them are causing trouble for people on the net.  Now everyone
knows (contrary to your opinion above) that it's only a small minority, but
the problem is; How do you get the attention of someone who can do something
about it?

The people who are the targets of the irresponsibility are not paying
customers of Portal.  The people that are paying customers (you) don't seem
to care about the actions of their fellow portalets.  Indeed, they probably
don't even feel a kinship for them.

So how do you apply pressure to the powers that be at Portal?  One way is
to make things so darn hard on every other Portal user, that *they* turn to
the Portal management and say things like "Why don't you do something about
the Portal users who are abusing Usenet?".  Now we've got paying customers
complaining, and *that* works.

Simple, neh?
                      _______________________________
Rick Farris          |     rfarris@serene.cts.com    |   Voice  (619) 259-6793
POB M                |    ...!uunet!serene!rfarris   |   BBS          259-7757
Del Mar, CA 92014    |_______________________________|   serene.UUCP  259-3704

In article <799@ontenv.UUCP>, soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) writes:
> Well, you haven't been looking then, Patrick_Townson posts some very
> interesting and valuable stuff from Portal and there are others.

I second this. I've been quite impressed with Patrick Townson's
messages, considering where he's forced to post from. At least provide
a lifeboat for the good Portal People before stripping them out of the
net (either by cutting of their feeds or installing one of those
obnoxious programs people have been writing to censor Portal).
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/25/88)

	[ this article is cross-posted to news.admin and news.misc ]
	[ but follow-ups are directed to news.misc, exclusively ]

recent articles from such sites as "serene" and "gryphon" may have caught
your attention also, enough to make me curious to want to learn what sites
*.CTS.COM are all about.  Am I mistaken in the impression that there are some
kind of commercial time-sharing/BBS type of machines, possibly competing
with PORTAL in some ways?  Please send me Email and I'll summarize and either
post or mail what I learn, depending on the number of requests I get.

I post this in the hope that readers will add to the sparse info I can find
in the maps and at NIC while at the same time indicating what I know already...
also to benefit those who may not have ready. easy access to this info...

   Here is the information I found in the SRI-NIC database and UUCP-maps:

werner> telnet sri-nic.arpa
 SRI-NIC, TOPS-20 Monitor 6.1(7341)-4
@whois cts.com

Whois: cts.com
Crash TimeSharing (CTS-DOM)
   1274 Vista Del Monte
   El Cajon, CA 92020-6830

   Domain Name: CTS.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Blue, Bill  (BB167)  bblue@CRASH.CTS.COM
      (619) 444-7004

   Domain servers in listed order:

   RUTGERS.EDU                  128.6.4.7
   AOS.BRL.MIL                  128.20.1.2, 192.5.25.82
   HARVARD.HARVARD.EDU          10.0.0.9, 128.103.1.1

   No known hosts under this secondary domain.

@whois host crash.cts.com
No match for host "crash.cts.com".

		and the information in the maps:

UUCP mail information for host gryphon (#USENET lines show USENET news links):
#Name			gryphon
#System-CPU-OS		SCO Xenix SV
#Organization		TE Technology
#Contact		Gregory M. Laskin
#Electronic-Address	greg@gryphon.CTS.COM
#Telephone		+1 213 513-1100
#Telephone		+1 213 372-1294
#Postal-Address		1165 E. 230th St., Carson, CA 90745
#Latitude-Longitude	33 54 N / 118 18 W
#Remarks		gryphon is located in Redondo Beach, CA.
#Remarks		gryphon has 2400 baud and Telebit Trailblazer + available.
#Written-by		greg@gryphon.CTS.COM Fri Aug 26 18:58:03 PDT 1988
#USENET	elroy desint aztec pande
#USENET	mejac cadovax crash lakesys ddsw1 pnet02 lll-winken
#USENET	marque ksala vector anb02
#
pnet02 = pnet02.cts.com
gryphon =gryphon.cts.com
gryphon pnet02(LOCAL)
pnet02	PNET(DIRECT)
gryphon		amy(POLLED),	  anb02(DIRECT),   aztec(DIRECT),
....etc....

UUCP mail information for host serene (#USENET lines show USENET news links):
#Name			serene
#System-CPU-OS		Fast AT clone; Xenix 286 2.2.2
#Organization		RF Engineering
#Contact		Rick Farris
#Electronic-Address	!serene!rfarris
#Telephone		(619) 259-6793 (voice)
#Postal-Address		POB M, Del Mar, CA 92014
#Latitude-Longitude	33 5', 117 41'
#Remarks		Unix and MS-Dos C programming.	GPIB Device drivers.
#Written-by		serene!rfarris (Rick Farris); Sat Aug 13 11:00:41 PDT 1988
#
serene	bang(DIRECT), btree(DIRECT), crash(DEMAND), del(DEMAND), ncr-sd(DEMAND)

UUCP mail information for host bang (#USENET lines show USENET news links):
#Name			bang
#System-CPU-OS		AT Clone, Xenix 2.2
#Organization		Internet Communications Co.
#Contact		Bret Marquis
#Electronic-Address	{hplabs!hp-sdd, crash, sdcsvax}!bang!bam
#Telephone		619/452-2110
#Postal-Address		P.O. Box 12051, La Jolla, CA 92037
#Latitude-Longitude	32 44 N / 117 11 W city
#Remarks		Host for public access P-Net, +1 619 450 0052
#Written-by		crash!bblue (Bill Blue);
#USENET
#
bang	crash(DEMAND), chem(DEMAND), ucsd(DEMAND), blia(DAILY),
	gryphon(DAILY/2), serene(DEMAND), pnet08(LOCAL), datel(DIRECT)
bang = bigbang
bang = bang.cts.com

UUCP mail information for host crash (#USENET lines show USENET news links):
#Name			.cts.com, crash
#F	nosc.mil
#Organization		Crash TimeSharing
#System-CPU-OS		Symmetric s/375, BSD 4.2/3
#Contact		Bill Blue
#Electronic-Address	bblue@crash.cts.com
#Telephone		+1 619 444 7004
#Postal-Address		1274 Vista Del Monte, El Cajon, CA  92020-6830
#Latitude-Longitude	32 47 N / 116 56 W
#USENET	ncr-sd telesoft (full)
#USENET	cacilj sdsu vixie stag gryphon pnet01 rush xroads jack elgar (partials)
#Remarks		registered
#Remarks		gateway to P-Net and ProLine networks
#Remarks		Host to public access P-Net, +1 619 444 7006
#Written-by		crash!bblue (Bill Blue); Sun Aug 28 09:21:40 PDT 1988
#
	< long list of PNET-sites deleted >   .... Pnet =?= PUBLIC access net?

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

greg@gryphon.CTS.COM (Greg Laskin) (09/26/88)

[ heavily edited quotation]

In article <3168@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes
(somewhat ingenuously):

> ... "serene" and "gryphon" ...
>Am I mistaken in the impression that there are some
>kind of commercial time-sharing/BBS type of machines, possibly competing
>with PORTAL in some ways?

Yes, you are.

>I post this in the hope that readers will add to the sparse info I can find
>in the maps and at NIC while at the same time indicating what I know already...
>also to benefit those who may not have ready. easy access to this info...

*.CTS.COM should resolve to an MX pointing to NOSC.MIL.  The map entries
you posted are absoulutely accurate.  Bill Blue at crash.cts.com is
the So. California map coordinator.  email to an Email contact (or
postmaster) at any .CTS.COM site would have gotten you all the information
you want about .CTS.COM.

>UUCP mail information for host gryphon (#USENET lines show USENET news links):
>#Name			gryphon
>#USENET	elroy desint aztec pande
>#USENET	mejac cadovax crash lakesys ddsw1 pnet02 lll-winken
>#USENET	marque ksala vector anb02
>gryphon		amy(POLLED),	  anb02(DIRECT),   aztec(DIRECT),
>....etc....

Werner omits 30 or so of gryphon's connections and 70 or so of crash's
connections (I didn't count them - just a guess).

gryphon.cts.com is sitting on my desk.  It has 3 dial-up lines.  Nobody
pays anything to use it.  There are about 40 gryphon users who use
gryphon by my largesse.  I pay all the bills.

gryphon really feeds news to all those sites in the map entry.  There
are full and partial feeds.

gryphon also supports a pnet node (pnet02).  Pnet (People Net) is a
Multi-threaded conferencing system.  Pnet sites with usenet connections
can make usenet available to pnet users.  Here, at gryphon, the 180 pnet
users have access to a limited set of usenet groups, and posting
privileges are controlled.  pnets also are networked together (not
over usenet or by email - they talk pnet to pnet protocols) and
maintain the conference threads and references across all the systems
in the pnet network.  No pnet users here pay anything to use the system
either.

crash.cts.com is a major news and mail machine in San Diego, operated
by Bill Blue (just like the map entry says).  It is also the gateway
machine for pnet (Bill wrote pnet), so all the pnet sites are in the
.CTS.COM domain. I think Bill accepts donations, but they are not required.

I don't know much about the policies of the other .CTS.COM domains but
I believe that none of them are commercial in any sense.

What else would you like to know?  Feel free to send me mail.
If you're on Internet and your mailer can't deal with gryphon.CTS.COM
try gyphon!greg@nosc.mil or crash!gryphon!greg@nosc.mil.  Some
Internet (especially BITNET sites) have better luck with gryphon.uucp.
--
Greg Laskin  greg@gryphon.CTS.COM    <any backbone site>!gryphon!greg