[news.misc] The Cincinnatus Society of Pinheads

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (10/18/88)

[I'm directing followups to news.misc.  I don't know if it's the best
 choice, but it'll do.  This isn't a flame against anyone on USENET.]

Last January, I posted an article to sci.{astro,physics}.  I thought it
was a rather nice article, answering (perhaps) someone's questions about
what Stephen Hawking was saying about black holes and quantum mechanics
and God in some news article.

Recently, a friend on Usenet informed me that this very article was pub-
lished in THE CINCINNATUS SOCIETY JOURNAL #2 (Feb-Apr 88), and he mailed
me a photocopy of this issue.  I got it this afternoon, and I was totally
flabbergasted.

This journal is the official rantzine for the Cincinnatus Society, "a
group of individuals choosing to communicate amicably with one another
about topics of interest to persons who have achieved the level of in-
telligence of at least the top one-tenth of one percent of the general
United States population."

AAARGH!  I *HATE* these Hi-IQ societies, starting with MENSA and work-
ing your way down (or "up", as the members would say).  And there I am,
with a Macintosh picture of Einstein and a giant quotation to help the
reader along, sandwiched between Cincinnatus Society Pinhead #1 babbling
about IQ and intelligence and Cincinnatus Society Pinhead #2, babbling
about IQ and women, with *ABSOLUTELY* *NO* *INDICATION* that this article
and its author have *ABSOLUTELY* *NO* *CONNECTION* with their Pinhead
Society of Mutual Admiration, other than someone downloaded the article
to their BBS.  (The number is (818) 985-4123, "courtesy of Mr Richard
A Weatherwax" in case someone wants to check these high-IQ morons out.)

So my questions are: what can or might I do?  The very idea that I would
be associated with one of these societies, especially one whose members
"choose to communicate amicably", is so goddam fucking repulsive that I
cannot find any words to truly express my disgust.  Nor do I have any
idea of what control I might hold over my articles once I've posted them.

For all I know, Pinheads #1,2's articles might also have been stolen; I
notice though that I was the only contributor without a street address.
It did mention "Berkeley CA": this is precisely what they could figure
out from my signature.

To give an example of how pinheaded this society is, let me quote a
few excerpts from the "Society News" column:

	When we have a somewhat more conventional organization,
	we can think about higher things, such as, for example,
	the unification of the various High-IQ groups...

	In any event, the Cincinnatus Society will have a key
	leadership role in reforming the various Hi-IQ Societies'
	Constitutions and in demonstrating a higher standard of
	editing and appearance in their publications.  To that
	end, I've donated a letter-quality daisy wheel printer
	to Mr Patrick Hill, Editor of Prometheus, ...

BARF!  And guess what book was reviewed this issue (in the space of
two short paragraphs)?  THE NORTON ANTHOLOGY OF WORLD MASTERPIECES.
Pretty goddam intellectual, aren't they?  And they've got a list of
*vocabulary* words--56 this issue out of nearly a thousand that they
threaten to cover.  Gol-lee.  Obscure stuff like "farcical, laity,
sloe-eyed, vitiate, debauch, aggregate, digress, libretto, twit,
disconcert".  We're talking pinhead-profound.

All quotations are Copyright (C) 1987 by the Cincinnatus Society, and
are reprinted without any permission.  Up their collective arses.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.  THESE PINHEADS REALLY EXIST, AND REALLY PUBLISHED
MY ARTICLE WITH NO INDICATION THAT THEY JUST PICKED IT SOMEWHERE OUT
OF THE AETHER, AND I AM READY TO VOMIT.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (10/19/88)

	Pinheads 1, Weemba 0 .... (-:

		Look, ma, someone "decooled" Weemba ....   ((-:

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) (10/20/88)

In article <15638@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
>Last January, I posted an article to sci.{astro,physics}...
> [gruesome little tale of sicko IQ snobs ripping off said article,
>  reprinting it without attribution in their pathetic newsletter]

>...AAARGH!  I *HATE* these Hi-IQ societies, starting with MENSA and work-
>ing your way down (or "up", as the members would say)...

>So my questions are: what can or might I do?...

Much as Matt hates to be told he's right :-), I must agree with him on
this one.  Nothing betrays pseudo-intellectualism like the sick
obsession with standardized test scores these IQ societies evince.
What these poor "gifted" victim-brats don't realize is that the
inclination to brag about your IQ reveals a character flaw whose
damaging impact in your life is sure to outweigh the boost of
"intelligence" over the long haul.  As an undergraduate flirtation
it is something to be outgrown; past that it's sociopathic.

Unfortunately I believe anything you post here is in the public domain
unless you take the trouble to (C) Copyright your remarks every time.
That doesn't mean you can't harass and jawbone these Stanford-Benet
Cubscouts into publishing a disclaimer next time.
--
Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff
	"None of your toys	CIS: 76556,2536	       MCI: TNEFF

ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (10/20/88)

In article <5665@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP writes:
>I would like to propose the formation of the newsgroup talk.elite,

Apologies for posting this in news.misc.  I meant it to appear in
alt.flame when I followed up to weemba's article.  Drat.

	-r.

todd@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd/Dr. Nethack) (10/20/88)

In article <15638@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

>Last January, I posted an article to sci.{astro,physics}.  I thought it
>was a rather nice article, answering (perhaps) someone's questions about
>what Stephen Hawking was saying about black holes and quantum mechanics
>and God in some news article.

I still have an original hard copy in my files complete with mailer times,
dates, etc..

>This journal is the official rantzine for the Cincinnatus Society, "a
>group of individuals choosing to communicate amicably with one another
>about topics of interest to persons who have achieved the level of in-
>telligence of at least the top one-tenth of one percent of the general
>United States population."

In the fine art of plagarism!

>AAARGH!  I *HATE* these Hi-IQ societies, starting with MENSA and work-
>ing your way down (or "up", as the members would say).

The "up" is in reference to where their heads go! ;-)

>with a Macintosh picture of Einstein and a giant quotation to help the
>reader along,

You must admit Matthew, that is kinda funny.. the weemba placed into such
a "Popluar Mechanics" frame of reference.

>So my questions are: what can or might I do?

SUE THE BASTARDS!!

1) The Geekazoid that made off with the article
2) The Publisher
3) The Society (maybe you can put them out of buisness) --we can only hope.

>	When we have a somewhat more conventional organization,
>	we can think about higher things, such as, for example,
>	the unification of the various High-IQ groups...

And the stealing of articles too brilliant to be their own.

Go get 'em weemba!! You need any help?  :-)

     --nethack
--
todd@jupiter.nmt.edu / nmtsun!todd  Dr. Nethack: Box 3693 c/s Socorro, Nm. 87801

cs78404@thor.UUCP (Student of Dr. Sanders) (10/20/88)

From article <15638@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, by weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student):

> THIS IS NOT A JOKE.  THESE PINHEADS REALLY EXIST, AND REALLY PUBLISHED
> MY ARTICLE WITH NO INDICATION THAT THEY JUST PICKED IT SOMEWHERE OUT
> OF THE AETHER, AND I AM READY TO VOMIT.
>
> ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

Sue 'em!  It's the American way...

						DEMON
			--Driver of the fabled TURBO

Paktor@cup.portal.com (David L Paktor) (10/20/88)

In article    <1120.3.1248.1 The Cincinnatus Society of Pinheads>
              <10/18/88 00:52 weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu
                                   (Obnoxious Math Grad Student)>

    Matthew P Wiener warns us about:  THE CINCINNATUS SOCIETY

Now, my knowledge of history is *real* vague on this one, but, wasn't
    Cincinnatus some sort of heavy-handed autocrat with delusions of
    elitism and superiority, sometime in ancient Rome?

In any case, Matthew writes:

>   THE CINCINNATUS SOCIETY JOURNAL
>             ... is the official rantzine for the Cincinnatus Society, "a
>   group of individuals choosing to communicate amicably with one another
>   about topics of interest to persons who have achieved the level of in-
                                                 ^^^^^^^^
>   telligence of at least the top one-tenth of one percent of the general
>   United States population."

Seems the stats are not completely in on this one yet, but the general con-
    sensus seems to be that a high I.Q. is not something that someone can
    *achieve* -- in the sense that they have worked at it -- but can only
    be said to *attain*, i.e., yes they have gotten there, but, rather than
    by dint of effort, they have done so by the random throw of the dice of
    heridity and genetics.  In other words, it's a quality one is born with,
    like one's height or hair color.  But I digress...

Matthew further quotes this publication:

>           When we have a somewhat more conventional organization,
>           we can think about higher things, such as, for example,
>           the unification of the various High-IQ groups...
>
>           In any event, the Cincinnatus Society will have a key
>           leadership role in reforming the various Hi-IQ Societies'
>           Constitutions ...

Yikes!  Sounds like these folks are interested in more than "communicating
    amicably":  sounds like they are looking to TAKE OVER!  And RULE!

~~~~Shudder~~~~!  Shades of the Forbin Project!  But!  The quote continues:

>                     ... and in demonstrating a higher standard of
>           editing and appearance in their publications.  To that
>           end, I've donated a letter-quality daisy wheel printer
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>           to Mr Patrick Hill, Editor of Prometheus, ...

Whew!  Sounds like they are still a long ways away from building Collossus!

But if these people are harmless, it isn't by intention...

>   All quotations are Copyright (C) 1987 by the Cincinnatus Society, and
>   are reprinted without any permission.  Up their collective arses.

>   ucbvax!garnet!weemba    Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

I have no intention of paying long-distance charges to amuse myself with
    the drivel on their BBS.  I was thinking about asking where a member
    of the laity could get hold of this farcical publication -- I can always
    use a good laugh -- but the seriousness of their pretentiousness would
    probably vitiate their funniness...

Perhaps I might spend some time concocting a scheme to disconcert this
    aggregation of twits, but I'd rather debauch myself with some sloe-eyed
    damsel.  Or some sloe gin, for that matter...

Oops!  I left out "libretto"!

David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  === Mister Systems ===    |  Imray Klaatu Na'Arawak:
      David L Paktor        |    Macro provaal barada, l'upden sol impiclit.
                            |      Ya vo taray axel
  Paktor@cup.Portal.com     |          b'gletio barengi degas...

hwt@leibniz.UUCP (Henry Troup) (10/20/88)

Clearly, these people think that being 'smart' relieves them of the
obligation to be honest.  I sympathize with you - imitation may be the
sincerest form of flatter, but plagiarism ... ?
--
Henry Troup
Bell Northern Research - not their opinions, however

utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-di!leibniz!hwt

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (10/20/88)

From article <356@thor.wright.EDU>, by cs78404@thor.UUCP (Student of Dr. Sanders):
" Sue 'em!  It's the American way...

Not practical.  The source of the problem is these excessively
brilliant postings, which should be toned down a bit.
		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (10/20/88)

In article <7068@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> In article <15638@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
> >...AAARGH!  I *HATE* these Hi-IQ societies, starting with MENSA and work-
> >ing your way down (or "up", as the members would say)...
>
> >So my questions are: what can or might I do?...
>
> Much as Matt hates to be told he's right :-), I must agree with him on
> this one.  Nothing betrays pseudo-intellectualism like the sick
> obsession with standardized test scores these IQ societies evince.
> What these poor "gifted" victim-brats don't realize is that the
> inclination to brag about your IQ reveals a character flaw whose
> damaging impact in your life is sure to outweigh the boost of
> "intelligence" over the long haul.  As an undergraduate flirtation
> it is something to be outgrown; past that it's sociopathic.
>
> Tom Neff			UUCP: ...!cmcl2!phri!dasys1!tneff

I was a member of Mensa for a year (trying to meet young women --
THAT was a waste), and overall, the members weren't "obsessed" with
IQ scores -- most of them had joined Mensa for the same reason I had.
In the Los Angeles area, where I was living at the time, the members
were disproportionately computer programmers and engineers (showing
what a brilliant occupation we have :-)).  There were a few semi-
weird (and one TRULY weird) person in Mensa that fits Mr. Neff's
description, but they were exceptional.  (These crazies were also
the ones truly COMMITTED to Mensa).

I have no experience with the even higher pretension societies.

--
Clayton E. Cramer
..!ames!pyramid!kontron!optilin!cramer

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (10/21/88)

I think Copyright law should be included in the "things to learn before
you're allowed access to Usenet" file....

In article <7068@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> In article <15638@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
> >Last January, I posted an article to sci.{astro,physics}...
> > [gruesome little tale of sicko IQ snobs ripping off said article,
> >  reprinting it without attribution in their pathetic newsletter]
>
> Unfortunately I believe anything you post here is in the public domain
> unless you take the trouble to (C) Copyright your remarks every time.

Bzzt.  Under the most recent Copyright laws, anything you produce is
protected the instant you create it.  You can retro-copyright works,
however, you aren't as protected by the laws as you would be if you
had Copyrighted it to begin with.

Thus, I could write a review, post it to Usenet w/o a Copyright notice,
and if somebody reprinted it without my permission, sue them.  My chances
of winning more than the barest minimum of damages are low, though, since
I didn't copyright it to begin with.  I can still win damages, it's just
a hell of a lot harder.

Rule:  If you really care about it, Copyright it.  All it takes is putting
"Copyright <date> <your name here>" in the work, on the work, or as a part
of the work.  (On the back of a painting is legal, for instance.)  If you
don't care about it that much, don't bother.  It's still protected, but
you can't win as much.

(Thx. to my Media Law, Media Ethics, and Communications Law professors
for beating this into my head. :-)

--
"Imitation is the sincerest form of Television." - Mighty Mouse (and R. Bakshi)
J. Eric Townsend                  smail: 511 Parker #2, Houston, Tx, 77007

nj@eris.berkeley.edu (gypsy's darling fascist bully boy) (10/21/88)

In article <391@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:

>Rule:  If you really care about it, Copyright it.  All it takes is putting
>"Copyright <date> <your name here>" in the work, on the work, or as a part
>of the work.  (On the back of a painting is legal, for instance.)  If you
>don't care about it that much, don't bother.  It's still protected, but
>you can't win as much.

will they be likely to nitpick on capitalization of the "C" (i noticed
your making a point of that)?

i'd assume it would also be safest to use your real name, but how about
easily identifiable pseudonyms?

nj

ockerbloom-john@CS.YALE.EDU (John A. Ockerbloom) (10/21/88)

In article <391@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>In article <7068@dasys1.UUCP>, tneff@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>> Unfortunately I believe anything you post here is in the public domain
>> unless you take the trouble to (C) Copyright your remarks every time.
>
>Rule:  If you really care about it, Copyright it.  All it takes is putting
>"Copyright <date> <your name here>" in the work, on the work, or as a part
>of the work.  (On the back of a painting is legal, for instance.)  If you
>don't care about it that much, don't bother.  It's still protected, but
>you can't win as much.

Also, from what I remember, you can indicate a copyright notice by
the word "Copyright", the abbreviation "Copr."  or the C-within-a-circle
symbol (not available in ASCII).  The C within parentheses "(C)", however,
does NOT cut it.  Or at least so claimed a Library of Congress publication
I got a few years back.  If the law has changed since then, someone
should correct me.

John Ockerbloom

ockerbloom@cs.yale.EDU              ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!ockerbloom
ocker@yalecs.BITNET                 Box 5323 Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520

mcb@eris.berkeley.edu (Michael C. Berch) (10/21/88)

In article <391@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
> I think Copyright law should be included in the "things to learn before
> you're allowed access to Usenet" file....

Agreed, and I would suggest that Mr. Townsend be among the first to go
back to school on the subject.  I do not generally bother to criticize
people who are not lawyers when they make incorrect assertions about
legal matters, for the same reason that my own babblings about (say)
medicine or chemistry must elicit sadly amused grins from physicians and
chemists.  But considering the above, here we go again...

> [Tom Neff:]
> > Unfortunately I believe anything you post here is in the public domain
> > unless you take the trouble to (C) Copyright your remarks every time.
>
> Bzzt.  Under the most recent Copyright laws, anything you produce is
> protected the instant you create it.  You can retro-copyright works,
> however, you aren't as protected by the laws as you would be if you
> had Copyrighted it to begin with.

Bzzt bzzt.  Mr. Neff is quite correct, with the trivial exception of
the present legal bogosity over the use of "(C)" vs. a real live
copyright symbol.  There is no such thing, under U.S. copyright law,
as "retro-copyrighting" anything.  There is a code section (Sec. 401)
that mandates the inclusion of notice of copyright on "...all publicly
distributed copies from which the work can be visually perceived,
either directly or with the aid of a machine or device."  What this
means, people, is that if you publish (in the legal sense, which in
this case would include the colloquial sense) without a copyright
notice, you have -- subject to the discussion below -- lost your copyright
protection.

But what about Section 405, which excuses omission in some cases?

Section 405 excuses omission in three cases, the only interesting one
for the purposes of this discussion being Sec. 405(a)(2), which says
that the omission does not invalidate the copyright in a work if

	"registration for the work has been made before or is made
	within five years after the publication without notice, and a
	reasonable effort is made to add notice to all copies or
	phonorecords that are distributed to the public in the United
	States after the omission has been discovered..."

There are two important points here.  First of all, the practicability
of adding -- or attempting to add -- notice to all copies of a Usenet
article is seriously suspect.  And "adding notice" means exactly that
(there are some cases on this); it does NOT mean sending letters to
people saying, "Oh, by the way, that book I shipped you a while back
was copyrighted".  It means getting one's hands on the copies
(literally or figuratively) and adding a copyright notice in the
appropriate manner (printed, electronic, etc.).

Much more importantly, the section refers to acts "after the omission
has been discovered." This means, most emphatically, that only
inadvertant omissions are excused, not omissions due to ignorance of
the requirement of notice.  There is at least one leading case on this,
dealing with, if I remember correctly, photographs transferred onto
T-shirts.  So posting a Usenet article without copyright notice, and
then deciding later that it might be nice to "retro-copyright" it, does
not wash.

Jordan Breslow, who is an attorney, recently explored the issue of
omitted notice (in the context of copyrighted software) in a Usenet
article posted to misc.legal and news.software.b.  The message-ID
was <1930@vaxwaller.UUCP> and it is about 10 days old, so may still be
available on your system.  Read it.  (If it's expired, I think you
might be able to get a copy from vaxwaller!lisa.)

Michael C. Berch
Member of the California Bar
mcb@eris.berkeley.edu / mcb@tis.llnl.gov / ucbvax!eris!mcb

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (10/21/88)

In article <15798@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mcb@eris (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>There are two important points here.  First of all, the practicability
>of adding -- or attempting to add -- notice to all copies of a Usenet
>article is seriously suspect.  And "adding notice" means exactly that
>(there are some cases on this); it does NOT mean sending letters to
>people saying, "Oh, by the way, that book I shipped you a while back
>was copyrighted".  It means getting one's hands on the copies
>(literally or figuratively) and adding a copyright notice in the
>appropriate manner (printed, electronic, etc.).

Hmmmmmm....

So what happens if I were to repost my article with a Supersedes: header
and a copyright notice?  The theory is that this hunts out for all exist-
ing copies on USENET and replaces them.  Not that I think any are left.

This ignores, for the sake of argument, the "inadvertant omissions" clause.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (10/21/88)

In article <15800@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
(
(So what happens if I were to repost my article with a Supersedes: header
(and a copyright notice?  The theory is that this hunts out for all exist-
(ing copies on USENET and replaces them.  Not that I think any are left.

Mr. Berch's article stated that notification to holders of copies was
insufficient, that notice had to be imprinted on each copy.  I think
'supersedes' falls more under the former category, especially as it
would have no effect on legally printed copies of the article, or
archived or backup copies.  Sorry.

	/JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

harper@oravax.UUCP (Doug Harper) (10/21/88)

In article <10206@cup.portal.com>, Paktor@cup.portal.com (David L Paktor)
writes:

> Now, my knowledge of history is *real* vague on this one, but, wasn't
>     Cincinnatus some sort of heavy-handed autocrat with delusions of
>     elitism and superiority, sometime in ancient Rome?

This is not a flame:  Mr. Paktor has stated that his recollection is
vague, and I respect that.  I merely wish to defend the good name of
Cincinnatus.

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519? - ?439 BC) was a Roman
citizen-soldier "famed for the simplicity and austerity of his ways"
(trans. from Nouveau Petit Larousse, 1972).  The Senate twice took the
extraordinary step of making him dictator, risking the Republic to save
Rome from dire military threats.  Both times, he resigned the office
after discharging his duty, returning to his farm (The American Peoples
Encyclopedia, 1962).

Legend has it that he was offered the kingship and, a true republican,
declined it.  George Washington is said to have taken inspiration from
Cincinnatus in arguing that the United States should become a republic,
not a kingdom.

Perhaps Mr. Paktor is thinking of Lucius Cornelius Cinna, a ruthless
general of the late Republic, killed in a mutiny of his own men in 84
BC.  Had he lived a year longer, he would have been the father-in-law
of Julius Caesar.

Disclaimers:  I am speaking only for myself, and take full
responsibility for the views I have expressed.  The translation from
the French is mine, as is any of defect of it.

--
Doug Harper
Odyssey Research Associates | oravax!harper@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu       ARPA

bamst3@cisunx.UUCP (Brian A. Mermon) (10/21/88)

In article <1307@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, todd@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Todd/Dr. Nethack) writes:

> In article <15638@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:

> >Last January, I posted an article to sci.{astro,physics}.  I thought it
> >was a rather nice article, answering (perhaps) someone's questions about
> >what Stephen Hawking was saying about black holes and quantum mechanics
> >and God in some news article.

> SUE THE BASTARDS!!

> Go get 'em weemba!! You need any help?  :-)

Yea, go get 'em!

I'll bet that you could get the same lawyer that Mark Ethan Smith uses.

Nail the bastards to the wall!

BAM!

mercer@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (10/22/88)

In article <10206@cup.portal.com> Paktor@cup.portal.com (David L Paktor) writes:

>Now, my knowledge of history is *real* vague on this one, but, wasn't
>    Cincinnatus some sort of heavy-handed autocrat with delusions of
>    elitism and superiority, sometime in ancient Rome?

Cincinnattus was a model of Roman virtue and humility.  In the republic,
the excutive was split between two consuls.  However,  in time of war,
a single executive with !temporary! extraordinary powers could be
appointed,  called the dictator (unlike current holders of the term,
they were historically virtuous men).

Cincinnatus was appointed dictator.  After winning his war,  the people
were so pleased with his rule that they insisted he remain.  Instead,
the humble Cincinnatus asked only a small boon from the people,  as much
land to farm as he could plow around in a single day.  Far from an
elitist,  I would say.

Dan Mercer
NCR Comten

erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) (10/22/88)

Two things:  First off, I confused *registering* a copyright with
"including copyright notice".  My apologies for the pointer-to-noun
faults in my brain.

However, (this is point 2).
In article <15798@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mcb@eris.berkeley.edu (Michael C. Berch) writes:
> Section 405 excuses omission in three cases, the only interesting one
> for the purposes of this discussion being Sec. 405(a)(2), which says
> that the omission does not invalidate the copyright in a work if
> 	"registration for the work has been made before or is made
> 	within five years after the publication without notice, and a
> 	reasonable effort is made to add notice to all copies or
> 	phonorecords that are distributed to the public in the United
> 	States after the omission has been discovered..."

1.  In the first place, how can Usenet posting be considered publishing?

2.  It would be rather easy to post a duplicate of the original message,
with a copyright, that would replace all existing copies of the message
(if any still exist).  It would seem that weemba, the originator of
the articles in question, could cancle the original article, and repost
the article, with a copyright, and be protected under the law.  (This is
where I get the term "retro-copyright".  Maybe it's the wrong word to use.)

> There are two important points here.  First of all, the practicability
> of adding -- or attempting to add -- notice to all copies of a Usenet
> article is seriously suspect.

Destroying all the originals you can, and replacing them with copyrighted
versions wouldn't count under the law?

[...]
>  So posting a Usenet article without copyright notice, and
> then deciding later that it might be nice to "retro-copyright" it, does
> not wash.

Again, this assumes that posting on Usenet falls under the legal definition
of "publishing", does it not?  Since "mail" is copyrighted, couldn't we
just consider these messages "mass-mailings"?  Or, should we all add
a C-notice in our .sig, leaving the rights to duplicate w/in the domain
of Usenet open to all?

Oh well, sorry if I mislead anybody by confusing registering with
including copyright notices.  [Hits self in head with large metal
object, causing great pain and humor to those around him.]
--

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (10/22/88)

In article <31186@bbn.COM>, levin@bbn (Joel B Levin) writes:

>Mr. Berch's article stated that notification to holders of copies was
>insufficient, that notice had to be imprinted on each copy.  I think
>'supersedes' falls more under the former category, especially as it
>would have no effect on legally printed copies of the article, or
>archived or backup copies.  Sorry.

Am I to post presuming that people are going to be archiving and backing
up all my articles?  Hell, if I believed that, I *would* be a gung-ho
rah-rah member of the Cincinnatus Society!

The existence of legally printed copies (that I cannot get at) from
versions with missing copyrights is irrelevant in the hypothetical
situation that I'm considering.  Or at least, that's the thrust I
get from Jordan Breslow's <1930@vaxwaller.UUCP>, which Michael Berch
referred us all to.

Consider: I can legally photocopy for private use an article out of a
magazine that had an omitted copyright notice, and which the publisher
then makes a quick attempt to rectify.  USENET is different, yes.  What
I'm asking: just how different?  I know, I know, nobody knows.  But I
think this sort of stuff is worth thinking about--and can we push for
legislation that defined the legal gray zone we live in?  Ugh...

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) (10/23/88)

In article <15638@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) writes:
| Last January, I posted an article to sci.{astro,physics}.  I thought it
| was a rather nice article, answering (perhaps) someone's questions about
| what Stephen Hawking was saying about black holes and quantum mechanics
| and God in some news article.
|
| Recently, a friend on Usenet informed me that this very article was pub-
| lished in THE CINCINNATUS SOCIETY JOURNAL #2 (Feb-Apr 88), and he mailed
| me a photocopy of this issue.  I got it this afternoon, and I was totally
| flabbergasted.
|
| This journal is the official rantzine for the Cincinnatus Society, "a
| group of individuals choosing to communicate amicably with one another
| about topics of interest to persons who have achieved the level of in-
| telligence of at least the top one-tenth of one percent of the general
| United States population."
|
| AAARGH!  I *HATE* these Hi-IQ societies, starting with MENSA and work-
| ing your way down (or "up", as the members would say).  [...]
|
| THIS IS NOT A JOKE.  THESE PINHEADS REALLY EXIST, AND REALLY PUBLISHED
| MY ARTICLE WITH NO INDICATION THAT THEY JUST PICKED IT SOMEWHERE OUT
| OF THE AETHER, AND I AM READY TO VOMIT.
|
| ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720

The first protection that comes to mind is to copyright EVERYTHING you
post.  This is pretty simple, really, just put a copyright notice on it.
For instance, make your .signature look something like this:

	Copyright 1988 Wesley R. Peters.  Permission is granted to
	distribute this work in its entirety as long as it is not
	modified in any way, and this copyright remains intact.
	No rights other than those expressed here are granted.

As a matter of fact, I have just edited my .sig to include this very
paragraph.  I have had a couple of bad experiences with being quoted out
of context on the net, but never anything like what happened to Mr.
Wiener.

Do we have any lawyers around here?  I would like to think there is some
legal action MPW can take against these pinheads for publishing his
writing without his consent.

mcb@eris.berkeley.edu (Michael C. Berch) (10/26/88)

In article <31186@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
> In article <15800@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu writes:
> > So what happens if I were to repost my article with a Supersedes: header
> > and a copyright notice?  The theory is that this hunts out for all exist-
> > ing copies on USENET and replaces them.  Not that I think any are left.
>
> Mr. Berch's article stated that notification to holders of copies was
> insufficient, that notice had to be imprinted on each copy.  I think
> 'supersedes' falls more under the former category, especially as it
> would have no effect on legally printed copies of the article, or
> archived or backup copies.  Sorry.

Not so fast, there, gentlemen.  I think a good argument could be made
for both sides of the issue here.  The "Supersedes:" control message
is the nearest thing to hunting down and affixing notice, and it might
jst do the trick.  On the other hand, it might not.  No one can speak
authoritatively about this; it is an open question of law.  A judge
might look at the "Supersedes:" mechanism and say "Gee, looks good to
me -- it's the appropriate method of adding notice to a machine-readable
copy of somthing in a text database", or might say, "No -- the code
section means what it says, and a program or person would have to
actually modify each instantiation of the article in each text
database."  Who knows?

The points Mr. Levin raises (withe respect to legally-made copies prior to
the notice being "added" (if "superseded" is "added"), though, I think
can be answered by reference to the remainder of Section 405 of the
Code (effect of omission of notice on subsequent infringement), and is
discussed very nicely in Jordan Breslow's article.

Michael C. Berch

In article <396@flatline.UUCP> erict@flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
> In article <15798@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mcb@eris.berkeley.edu
> (Michael C. Berch) writes:
> > Section 405 excuses omission in three cases, the only interesting one
> > for the purposes of this discussion being Sec. 405(a)(2), which says
> > that the omission does not invalidate the copyright in a work if
> > 	"registration for the work has been made before or is made
> > 	within five years after the publication without notice, and a
> > 	reasonable effort is made to add notice to all copies or
> > 	phonorecords that are distributed to the public in the United
> > 	States after the omission has been discovered..."
>
> 1.  In the first place, how can Usenet posting be considered publishing?

[See discussion below...]

> 2.  It would be rather easy to post a duplicate of the original message,
> with a copyright, that would replace all existing copies of the message
> (if any still exist).  It would seem that weemba, the originator of
> the articles in question, could cancle the original article, and repost
> the article, with a copyright, and be protected under the law.  (This is
> where I get the term "retro-copyright".  Maybe it's the wrong word to use.)

This is an open question as to whether it would be sufficient to meet
the test of Section 405.  Personally, I don't think so, but there are
really no experts as to this.  But, in any event, it would not subject
the copiers of the version that was previously posted without notice
to any penalty for infringement (see the remainder of Section 405 for
this), and more importantly, if they never received actual notice of
the new version, presumably thery could continue to recopy the
original without penalty.  But this is still the weaker leg of the two.

> >  So posting a Usenet article without copyright notice, and
> > then deciding later that it might be nice to "retro-copyright" it, does
> > not wash.
>
> Again, this assumes that posting on Usenet falls under the legal definition
> of "publishing", does it not?  Since "mail" is copyrighted, couldn't we
> just consider these messages "mass-mailings"?  Or, should we all add
> a C-notice in our .sig, leaving the rights to duplicate w/in the domain
> of Usenet open to all?

There should be little if any question as to whether posting something
to Usenet, except possibly to an in-house local newsgroup, constitutes
"publishing" for the purpose of copyright law (or defamation law, for
that matter, either).  Since no court has, to my knowledge, ruled on
*any* matter involving Usenet per se, it remains a technically open
question, but not a particularly debatable one.

And, by the way, "mass-mailings" are publication as well; the statement
"mail is copyrighted" is inaccurate; the only reason mail is protected
even without copyright notice is because it is unpublished, and it is
considered unpublished *only* where it is intended to be a private
communication (that is, the sender knows who the recipients are, it is
sent under cover (physical or electronic envelope) and is not intended
for public inspection).  A "mass"-mailing is no different than any
other form of public distribution of copies, even if the list of
recipients is a smaller set than the general public.

"Publication" is defined in Section 101 as "the distribution of copies
... of a work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or
by rental, lease, or lending.  The offering to distribute copies ... to
a group of persons for purposes of further distribution, public
performance, or public display, constitutes publication. ..."  There is
some jusrisprudence to indicate that electronic publication, though it
may not involve the physical transfer of media embodying the work, is a
form of publication rather than public performance (which in itself
does NOT constitute publication).  So I do not consider the matter
seriously in doubt.

Michael C. Berch
mcb@eris.berkeley.edu / mcb@tis.llnl.gov / ucbvax!eris!mcb