[news.misc] KILL and reply-KILL and super-KILL

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (10/30/88)

This complaint is from talk.politics.misc, but it's an old one:

In article <2074@lll-lcc.llnl.gov>, drp@lll-lcc (David Preston) writes:
>I think most of us would agree that there is a small subset of posters
>to this group whose postings go beyond mere differences in viewpoint
>and ideology and are, in fact, offensive.  We may not agree to the
>exact composition of this subset, but that is irrelevant.  On most news
>systems it is easy to simply filter out the postings of selected
>posters, but it is more difficult or time consuming to filter out
>offensive postings, simply put the posters name in the subject heading,
>so that automatic filters will catch it.

A simple solution I'd like to see would be a standardized In-reply-to
header, allowing KILL files to deal with this quite simply.  I'm also
thinking of a more general solution for Gnews I call super-KILL, where
so-and-so's articles trigger brand new KILLs based on their Message-IDs.

I have, in the past, killed off whole sites to KILL based on Message-IDs.
This is obviously not the correct thing to do.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720