[news.misc] "mod.announce.newusers"--where is it?

dana@ism780c.isc.com (Dana Jordan) (11/16/88)

Can anyone tell me how to get hold of this (netiquette) document?
The system advised me (when I first tried to post a message to the net)
to return to the top prompt of "rn" and type "g mod.announce.newusers".
When I did so, the reply was that this group did not exist.

What did I do wrong; or, more importantly, what can I do to access this file?

thx, one and all...

...dana

karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/16/88)

You're suffering from an out-of-date rn help file.  The proper
newsgroup name is news.announce.newusers.

--Karl

dana@ism780c.isc.com (Dana Jordan) (11/18/88)

In article <KARL.88Nov15225347@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@dinosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>You're suffering from an out-of-date rn help file.  The proper
>newsgroup name is news.announce.newusers.
>
>--Karl

Thanx to you and several others who sent me this response to my request for
info re this "netiquette" help file.  I still don't know, however, how to get
around the fact that, when I (originally) tried to read "news.announce.newusers"the system responded by saying there were 0 files unread.  I (stubbornly) tried
to read them anyway (since nothing else had worked), but of course there were
no articles to read.

I can only assume that, if the file was there when I first got onto the system
a few weeks ago, I scrolled thru it.  (I was new to "rn" and thought of it like
e-mail, where I customarily scroll thru files and save them to read in detail
later when I have more time.)  If this is what I (as a greenhorn re "rn") did,
then of course the system regarded me as having "read" the article and then
may have made it go away in conventional fashion.

All this begs the question, then (at least for rn novices like me), as to how
you regain access to an article that is intended to be read by future users.
Is there no way to "grab" it again, even if I've already "read" it?

Anyway, I assume none of this has created a major crisis because I've been
sending replies out over the net and no one has yet threatened to send Hal
or Sal after me or my little terminal pal.

thanx again, guyz--

...dana

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (11/21/88)

In article <19170@ism780c.isc.com> dana@ism780c.UUCP (Dana Jordan) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how to get hold of this (netiquette) document?

The group mod.announce.newusers is now called news.announce.newusers.
A lot of net documents are posted there recently (and are reposted in
an updated form every month).

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/22/88)

dana@ism780c.isc.com (Dana Jordan) writes:
   I still don't
   know, however, how to get around the fact that, when I (originally)
   tried to read "news.announce.newusers"the system responded by
   saying there were 0 files unread.  I (stubbornly) tried to read
   them anyway (since nothing else had worked), but of course there
   were no articles to read.

The netiquette documents are re-posted on a monthly basis.  Wait a
week or so, they'll show up by then.  Make sure you stay subscribed to
news.announce.newusers.

   All this begs the question, then (at least for rn novices like me),
   as to how you regain access to an article that is intended to be
   read by future users.  Is there no way to "grab" it again, even if
   I've already "read" it?

When all else fails:
	cd /usr/spool/news/news/announce/newusers
	more *
But more generally, rn allows you to jump to arbitrary articles (if
they're still in-spool) via either the `j' command or via marking the
relevant articles as `unread,' so that they will be re-offered to you.
Again, this depends on them still being around, which they might not
be.  And again, the world won't fall apart if they're not, because
they'll come back next month.

--Karl