[news.misc] REMOVAL OF RACIST JOKES

richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) (11/18/88)

I do not wish to spread this discussion to more than one newsgroup,
so I expect this will be all I have to say on the matter in news.misc.
Please follow this on soc.culture.jewish if you are interested.

answer the first three.  My ultimate goal -- to reply to question 4 --
is the elimination of racist jokes from rec.humor.funny.

I removed Mr. Wiener's quote to shorten it.

action which will result in the elimination of racist "humor" from
rec.humor.funny.

In answer to #8, this is irrelevant, would require a long and considered
account, and one that I am not going to give now.

To answer #9, the citation of the First Amendment is irrelevant.  The
point is that Brad Templeton clearly has a choice in whether to include
racist humor or not.  He receives a large volume of jokes, many of which
he rejects.  While (were he American) the First Amendment might
protect his inclusion of racist material, I believe that he should have
the good judgement to *choose* not to do so.

I have had more to say in soc.culture.jewish.  Just bear in mind that
racist jokes such as we have seen in rec.humor.funny have been used to
create stereotypes that have been the basis of persecution of races
and peoples.  That would seem to me to be enough reason not to propagate
such material.

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (11/18/88)

In article <8028@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D.
Richmond) writes:
>My ultimate goal -- to reply to question 4 --
>is the elimination of racist jokes from rec.humor.funny.

I'm afraid you are proceeding from a false premise.  Being Jewish is
not a matter concerning race.  Being Jewish, like being Hindu, is a
religious and cultural distinction.

But there's a more serious problem here than just your incorrect use of
a word.  While I sympathize with your desire not to have your cultural
heritage be made fun of, what you wish to achieve cannot in general be
achieved without eliminating humor altogether.  Things that are funny
are funny because something or somebody -- some culture, or some
profession, or some individual -- is made to look silly.

I think a better strategy would be for you to obtain "equal time" by
sending Brad jokes about other cultures and religions.  That way we
will all get to laugh at each other, and in doing so, perhaps we can
also laugh with each other at the human experience in general.  Being
sullen and rebellious won't achieve that, however.

(If you can't find anything funny to say about other cultures, then I
think we have diagnosed the problem :-)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (11/19/88)

Jonathon Richmond has said privately and publicly that he does not
want to get involved in any discussion of the "racist" jokes issue
outside of soc.culture.jewish.  This lends an interesting slant to
his claim that his goal is to remove all racist jokes from
rec.humor.funny, don'tcha think?

I am cross-posting this to soc.culture.jewish so that JEDR cannot
continue to hide his head in the sand and continue preaching to the
choir.

News.misc readers, PLEASE continue the cross-post.
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

kmw@sim.ardent.com (Ken Wallich) (11/19/88)

In article <8028@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> richmond@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan E. D. Richmond) writes:

>answer the first three.

Why not?  You make vague and threatening statements that imply you want to put
a gag on Brad by putting thumbscrews on his employers, and then simply refuse
to answer direct questions as to your intentions?

>My ultimate goal -- to reply to question 4 --
>is the elimination of racist jokes from rec.humor.funny.

Oh boy, here we go again.  Ok Mr. Richmond, who is going to be the arbitor of
what is considered 'racist' and what isn't?  Obviously, you don't think Brad
is doing a good job (the joke that seems to have sent you off was accidentaly
not 'rot13ed', but you don't want them encrypted, you want them ELIMINATED).
Perhaps *you* are the only person who can *censor* things appropriately?
Then what if you post something that offends me?  Then perhaps I can have
a gag put on you, and then I post something....

>action which will result in the elimination of racist "humor" from
>rec.humor.funny.

In other words make his employers put a gag on him so he won't publish anything
that could possibly offend *you*.  Sounds like suppression to me.

>[...] That would seem to me to be enough reason not to propagate
>such material.

I have found a few jokes in rec.humor.funny to be mildly offensive (I don't
offend easily, mind you), but I have seen no jokes in recent history (including
the one that seems to have set you off) that made *me* feel bad stereotypes
were being propagated.  Your narrow, reactionary point of view does more harm
to the image of Jewish folks than any joke can.  Fortunatly, I don't let
the opinions of one man color my perception of a group of people.

Ken Wallich
Ardent Computer Corp		kmw@ardent.com
Sunnyvale, California, USA      "chance is the fool's name for fate"

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (11/23/88)

Isaac Asimov is Jewish (I hope that's not news).  His "Asimov's
Treasury of Humor" includes the joke that started this all, and
about 500 other Jewish jokes - none are rot13.
Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions