[news.misc] The Picking of Noses

allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM (Allen Gwinn) (11/24/88)

In article <667@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> shore@ncifcrf.gov (Melinda Shore) writes:

Not that I don't think your article has some value, Melinda, but...

>[]
>You have the right to pick your nose in public, but the result is that
>those around you will be uncomfortable and you will look boorish.  Most
>people elect not to pick their noses in public.

Why do I have a feeling that this is going to start a discussion on public
nose-picking?  :-)     I would like to comment that many times (I feel it
to be the majority of times) when I pull up to a stop light in my car, if
I look over at the driver next to me, there is a good chance that he/she
(although I seem to notice this tendency less with women) will be picking
his/her nose.  Anybody else notice this?

>Melinda Shore                                    shore@ncifcrf.gov
>NCI Supercomputer Facility              ..!uunet!ncifcrf.gov!shore

Just remember... you can pick your friends... and you can pick your nose...
but you better not pick your friend's nose :-)

--
Allen Gwinn  ...sulaco!allen        Disclaimer: The facts stated are my own.
"...I will not waste time proving this." - Hank Bovis

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (11/24/88)

In article <366@sulaco.Sigma.COM> allen@sulaco.sigma.com (Allen Gwinn) writes:
>>You have the right to pick your nose in public, but the result is that
>>those around you will be uncomfortable and you will look boorish.  Most
>>people elect not to pick their noses in public.
>
>Why do I have a feeling that this is going to start a discussion on public
>nose-picking?

Hey. This is USENET. There'll probably be a discussion about who owns
the copyright to the snot.

--
             Never confuse fruit flies with french frys.
richard@gryphon.COM                              {backbone}!gryphon!richard

pace@spectra.COM (William B. Pace) (11/28/88)

In article <366@sulaco.Sigma.COM>, allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM (Allen Gwinn) writes:
> Why do I have a feeling that this is going to start a discussion on public
> nose-picking?  :-)     I would like to comment that many times (I feel it
> to be the majority of times) when I pull up to a stop light in my car, if
> I look over at the driver next to me, there is a good chance that he/she
> (although I seem to notice this tendency less with women) will be picking
> his/her nose.  Anybody else notice this?

Compared to the rest of the poor sports crying over the unfunny rec.humor
flaming, this is (dare I say it?) a breath of fresh air.  Personally, I
have noticed that my index finger perfectly fits my nostrils.  I wonder
if this is a universal trait.  Do people with big, fat, stubby fingers
have enlarged nostrils.  Do small-nosed people have small fingers?  Are we
born with noses that match our fingers or do they grow to match the size of
our fingers as we grow older?  If not, are big-fingered, small nostriled
people denied the joy of a good nose picking?

After all, a good job of nose-picking is like a good belch: it may be
socially unacceptable, but you sure feel better once it's done!

Bill Pace
"My employer disavows all knowledge of my actions"

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (11/29/88)

In article <366@sulaco.Sigma.COM> allen@sulaco.sigma.com (Allen Gwinn) writes:
>Just remember... you can pick your friends... and you can pick your nose...
>but you better not pick your friend's nose :-)

Just remember... you can pick your friends... and you can pick your nose...
but you can't wipe your friend on the back of a chair :-)

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();
MESARD@BBN.COM