[news.misc] This months tirade

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (11/29/88)

In article <1101@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>In article <8980@gryphon.COM> byte@gryphon.COM (Byte Felinus) writes:
>

>>1. Why?
>
>It's called politeness and consideration for the feelings of
>others.

Define politeness and consideration for the feelings of others.

>>2. How does one determine what jokes "other ethnic groups" find
>>   offensive?  Who is the authoratative spokesperson for an ethnic
>>   group?
>
>No one person can be the authority.  I think it just depends on how
>many people complain.  If the number is significant, maybe the joke
>really is offensive.

Define a significant number.

greg@gryphon.COM (Greg Laskin) (11/29/88)

In article <9061@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <1101@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Nancy M Gould) writes:
>>In article <8980@gryphon.COM> byte@gryphon.COM (Byte Felinus) writes:
>>>1. Why?
>>It's called politeness and consideration for the feelings of
>>others.
>Define politeness and consideration for the feelings of others.

The definition is not
particularly important.  I wouldn't intentionally offend Nancy were
I a guest in her home (and I probably would not continue to be welcome
in her home were I to intentionally offend her there).  However,
this is a public place where the situation is a bit different.
Satire and humor is a protected form (in the U.S.) of expression.
The Supreme Court recently ruled (in a case involving Larry Flynt
and Hustler Magazine and a very raunchy cartoon casting aspersions
upon the sexual habits of a famous person) essentially that the
more outrageous the expression, the more protected it was (in the
context of what is a libelous statement).  The point here is that
we can all agree that a particular joke may have offended you and
that it may be inconsiderate and impolite to do so, but in a
public forum, there is simply no guarantee or requirement that
people be considerate or polite.

There are various rules, regulations and laws extant that taken
collectively define civilized behavior.  In our rather secular
society, none of the rules proscribe impoliteness in the general
case.  (There may be some local regulations that come into
play on a site by site basis.  Some sites might have disciplined
a user for posting the now infamous joke, but that is a local
matter.)

>>>2. How does one determine what jokes "other ethnic groups" find
>>>   offensive?  Who is the authoratative spokesperson for an ethnic
>>>   group?
>>
>>No one person can be the authority.  I think it just depends on how
>>many people complain.  If the number is significant, maybe the joke
>>really is offensive.
>
>Define a significant number.

This is a more interesting question.  On this network, it is
possible for a few offended persons to stir up lots of traffic.
I've counted maybe 10 "offended" posters and maybe 20
"unoffended" posters.  Since the sample is self-selecting,
it's difficult to ascribe any significance to the numbers.
How then would you suggest that we determine whether a
"significant" number of people have complained.

During the few years that I've been on this network, there have been
a few instances of real racism, sexism, homophobia, and general
unfriendliness.  The reaction of the Usenet community to these
events have demonstrated that the community is quite capable of
recognizing and dealing with such real lapses of good taste.
In this case, the propriety of the events that have generated
all of the traffic on this subject, seem to me to be well within
the accepted boundaries of the normal differences of opinion
that occur here.

--
Greg Laskin  greg@gryphon.COM    <routing site>!gryphon!greg
	     gryphon!greg@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov