[news.misc] Jokes v. Intelectual/Religious writings

cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) (12/03/88)

In article <445@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> In article <1086@etive.ed.ac.uk> jcb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Julian Bradfield) writes:
> =
> =Just out of idle curiosity, what is this inherent difference between
> =jokes and "religious and intellectual works" that makes it OK to
> =suppress one and not the other?
>
> Julian,
> 	I doubt that anything I could say would impress you.  If you
> don't understand the difference between "religious and intellectual
> works" on the one hand and "jokes" on the other, I'm afraid I can't help you.

(I hope I got the people matched with what they said, if not, sorry +C)

I think that this is a very good question that Julian raised... Pete,
your answer not only does not address the question, but states that
you cannot see a difference, nor demonstrate such a difference, but,
a priori, there is a difference, and that it must be taken on faith, etc.

Just to toss a monkey wrench into the discussion, there is a cult out in
california called the Church of the Devine Prankster...

+C

--
Cory (the last person to escape alive from riverside) Kempf
UUCP: encore.com!gloom!cory