[net.records] Yes and progressive rock

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (12/05/83)

From: Ed Featherston  HL01-1/P06  225-5241 <roll::featherston>

 Begin Forwarded Message:

Newsgroup : net.records
>From : ORPHAN::BLICKSTEIN
Subject: Yes and progressive rock

I just realized that if you substituted Keith Emerson for Geof Downes in
Asia you'd have Howe, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, which has already been mentioned
in this digest was almost a reality.   That would be a fantastic collaboration.
Anyone want to start a campaign?

Re: Yes aint yes without "Howe, Bruford & Wakeman".  I think that until
the last two albums, the band survived personnel changes quite well although
I agree the trend has been downward.  In particular, I think Patrick Moraz
really revitalized the band on Relayer, they were getting a bit boring and
I think that Moraz started to lead them in new exciting directions that they
ultimately didn't take when they lost him.

Of all the solo albums (Olias/Anderson,Beginnings/Howe,etc) I think that
Morazs "i" was by far the most interesting.  In fact, I think it gets the
creativity award of the decade.  It takes about 5 or 6 listens to begin to
appreciate, but it's worth it.  It's not always just music.  There are many
percussive passages, and synthesizer "noise" passages, and while it's not
the first album like that, I think its one of the only like it with any
real musical "soul".

	Dave Blickstein

		Mail address : ...decvax!decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein

 End Forwarded Message