[news.misc] USENET and Internet

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (11/30/88)

>| >On the other hand -- on the Internet, commercial activity is explicitly
>| >against the rules and CAN get you in trouble. Add that to the large number
>| >of Internet-based NNTP links and Brad's all-too-true statement above about
>| >it happening all the time, and ask yourself if USENET is violating Internet
>| >rules....

>| Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand.

>What does it matter if USENET violates Internet rules? Or are we to follow
>other networks in complying with Internet rules because it is easier
>than not complying?

Here's the (potential) problem. A large amount of USENET data is slogged
from place to place via NNTP over the Internet. Because of that, it's
reasonable to assume that the Internet would require that data to conform to
it's rules -- which, in a number of cases, it doesn't.

That being taken as true, it then can be assumed that if the Internet
chooses to notice (I'm sure they already know. Whether they choose to
recognize NNTP links officially is up to them and politics), they can
require that the sites passing NNTP data from place to place either limit
said data to to conforming material (practically speaking, impossible) or
turn off the links.

You could turn off the NNTP links without killing USENET, but it would
significantly impact connectivity and possibly segment some regions.

That's why you have to worry about Internet restrictions. You're not on the
net, but the data you're reading here very likely spent at least part of
it's time borrowing Internet bandwidth, and is therefore subject to Internet
rules and regulations. I think.

>Brad specifically asked that those messages not be gatewayed onto
>the Internet. And I'm *sure* the Automatic Gatewaying Software
>complied. 8^)

You can actually do that, if what you're doing is gatewaying to a mailing
list (as I do with comp.sys.mac.hypercard). NNTP links are different.
They're just like the uucp links from site to site, but use the Internet
instead. Faster and cheaper.

>We're always running into this "not allowed on the Internet" argument
>and I would really like someone to intelligently define to me why
>I should care.                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It basically comes down to this. It's practically speaking impossible
for a USENET message to propogate without propogating through the
Internet at some point or another. This means that every message you
read or post was on the Internet at some time -- which implies that
even though you and your machine aren't on the Internet or accrue it's
benefits, the message was and did, and is subject to the Internet
regulations. It's not *your* responsibility, though -- it's the
responsibility of the sites that are on the Internet who use NNTP. Of
course, if they're told to shut down, you'll be affected as well.

That's why you should care.

Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

I come not to bury Caesar, but to praise him. For Brutus is an honorable
man. So are they all, all honorable men.

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (11/30/88)

In article <79319@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

| Here's the (potential) problem. A large amount of USENET data is slogged
| from place to place via NNTP over the Internet. Because of that, it's
| reasonable to assume that the Internet would require that data to conform to
| it's rules -- which, in a number of cases, it doesn't.

[rather complete expansion of this argument deleted]

Well, I asked for intelligent arguments, and I got them. Don't you
get a nice feeling when you have a mailbox full of intelligent mail?

I had not realised the extent to which nntp had replaced the traditional
backbone. Thats what can happen when you're off the net for a year or
so.

Chuq's article, and most of the letters, recalled to me a year ago
when article propogation was much slower.

So is this what happened to Stargate? People jumped on the free
lunch of Internet, thus giving up the cheap lunch of Stargate.

I think it's a pity it happened, but I agree, since "There Ain't No
Such Thing As A Free Lunch", the *cost* of submitting to the
strictures of the Internet must be accepted.

jim

--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim OR domain: jim@eda.com
#define disclaimer	"I do not speak for my employer"

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (12/01/88)

I think Chuq means the ARPANET - the network paid for by the DCA.

The Internet includes lots of people beyond this.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

In article <2424@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I think Chuq means the ARPANET - the network paid for by the DCA.
>
>The Internet includes lots of people beyond this.

Well, if we need to be that precise, then let's get it right.  What he
probably means is the Defense Data Network (DDN).  The DDN is made up
of two physical networks, Arpanet and Milnet.  Arpanet is for research
institutions doing work for DARPA, Milnet is for actual US military
installations.

The DDN came into being when we switched from NCP to TCP/IP in 1983.
Before then the entire network was called Arpanet.  The intent of the
distinction was that networking research could continue on the
Arpanet, while Milnet would be a stable network for production sites.
For example, the switch to domain style names and use of name servers
has been much faster on the Arpanet than Milnet, and a change to the
PSN (the processors that connect hosts to the two networks) software
that has been running on the Arpanet for a year is just now being run
in test mode on Milnet.  Also, the gateways between the Arpanet and
Milnet were envisioned as only passing mail through, rather than
allowing full connectivity; as far as I know, this has not yet been
done.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com