[news.misc] How many days do YOU keep news on the system?

brianop@salem1.UUCP (Brian McBee) (12/03/88)

I'm doing an informal poll to see how much news is kept on all those sites
out there.  Write me and tell me how many days worth of news you generally
keep on your system, and/or how many megabytes you dedicate to news storage.
If anyone's interested, I will post the results.  Thank you.

What the eye beholds           CI$: 72406.1363
And the heart covets           PLINK: Brianop
Let the hand boldly sieze!     UUCP: ...tektronix!tessi!agora!salem1!brianop

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (12/07/88)

brianop@salem1.UUCP (Brian McBee) writes:
   I'm doing an informal poll to see how much news is kept on all those sites
   out there.

I asked essentially the same question about a year ago, and got lots
of interesting responses.  Space dedication varies mighty wildly from
place to place.  Here, we use an entire Eagle drive, and expire weekly
on a 6-week basis, on Saturday early AM:

[200] [10:43am] tut:/dino0/karl# df /usr/spool/news
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/iop/pdisk03h     386942  326442   60500    84%    /usr/spool/news

--Karl

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (12/08/88)

In article <KARL.88Dec6110554@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>Here, we use an entire Eagle drive, and expire weekly
>on a 6-week basis, on Saturday early AM:

>[200] [10:43am] tut:/dino0/karl# df /usr/spool/news

>/dev/iop/pdisk03h     386942  326442   60500    84%    /usr/spool/news

That's fairly incredible!:-)

When I arrived here, news was kept in a recycled nd partition (Sun 3/180).
If you don't know what nd partitions are, be very glad.  This one was around
20 meg, and loved to run out of space.  When it ran out of space, news would
go on creating 0 length files, taking up all the inodes.  Then when I
got rid of the junked messages that were taking all the space, I still
didn't have any inodes and had to find down the tree and nuke 0 length files.
I solved our problems incrementally:  I changed news feeds, from a very
clumpy (no news for 5 days, then WHAM!) 1200 baud feed to a very uniform
TrailBlazer feed.  I changed the feed's sys entry for us to list only
the groups we wanted, with a couple of wildcards like news.*.  Voila!
No more junking.  I also repartitioned our disks in a sane manner --
10 partitions on a disk with 2 meg free in each are nowhere *near*
as useful as 1 partition with 20 meg.  So I made as few partitions as
I could get away with with SunOS 3.2's idea of being a server and without
concentrating activity on one disk, and ended up with a big partition
where I put all of /usr/spool (including news), /usr/local stuff, and
other stuff that used to be recycled nd partitions (yuck).  So now it
stands with plenty of room and plenty of inodes to go around:

<=>5<=>df /muppet
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/xy0d             217871  150599   45484    77%    /muppet
<=>6<=>df -i /muppet
Filesystem             iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted on
/dev/xy0d              17134   46354    27%   /muppet

News used to be expired every night on a 7/21 day basis;
I only yesterday changed that to 10/21 to reflect our newfound
happiness.  We get a moderate number of groups, and our /usr/spool/news
adds up to about 18 meg right now.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)