[news.misc] Do ethnic jokes CAUSE bigotry?

berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) (12/05/88)

Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?

Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.

There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
moderate posts.

Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.

Dan

olsen@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Jim Olsen) (12/05/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?  Sadly, the answer appears be a definite
>yes.  A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.

Dan is jumping to conclusions.  Many people, including me, are angry with
JEDR and others for their attempts at censorship.  Their complaints to the
newspapers may destroy much of Usenet as we know it.  Some people, in their
anger and frustration, sent messages containing ethnic slurs to some of those
concerned.  (I do not condone this action.)

We do not know if the senders of these messages were truly racist, or
merely used racial slurs calculated to upset the recipients.  And even if
the senders were racist, we have no evidence that jokes had an effect on
their racism.

>Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
>agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.

Since Usenet has no official corporate existence, it can have no official
agents.  I think the jokes discourage bigotry, by laughing at it.

Before one starts to censor jokes, it would be nice to have evidence that
the jokes cause the bad effects you claim.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (12/05/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
>
>Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.
>
>There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
>jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.
>
>Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
>agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.

Two possible responses:

1) Please keep excerpts from _World Weekly News_ in talk.rumours where
they belong.

2) The jokes in r.h.f. caused all the flowers in my yard to die. Of course
   I can't prove this either.

--
"If nothing else, the election means no more Ontario plonk" - Mordecai Richler
richard@dogmeat.gryphon.COM          dogmeat.gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

mayville@tybalt.caltech.edu (Kevin J. Mayville) (12/05/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
>
>Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.
>
>There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
>jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.
>
>Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
>agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.

Yup.  The people that sent the hate-mail to Nancy were obviously outstanding
citizens, model members of their communities, until they were exposed
to the criminally bigoted newsgroup, rec.humor.funny.  Their minds, against
their will, were being poisoned by Brad's steady litany of hate.  Slowly,
their charitable contributions dwindled, they dropped out of the Big Brother
program, until finally, after reading the joke in question, they caved in
and lost their tattered shreads of humanity.

Kindly get real........

Kevin
mayville@tybalt.caltech.edu

"She's beautiful, popular, and obviously going through some
emotional shoot-out to consent to date....the human tater-tot.
What did you do, Keith, threaten her life?"

carlo@electro.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (12/05/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
                 ^^^^^

>Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.
>
>There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
>jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.

Wouldn't it be far more likely to believe that the person(s) who sent the
E-mail slurs were bigoted to begin with rather than inspired into bigotry
by any joke posted by Brad?

Think back to your first or second year Statistics courses and review the
difference between causation and correlation ...

--

Carlo Sgro                              NET POLICE WARNING:  .signatures that
watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo            are too long will be trunc

shore@ncifcrf.gov (Melinda Shore) (12/05/88)

[]
The Washington Post had editorial this past Sunday on the recent
rise in acceptability of anti-Semitic (specifically "JAP") jokes, and
the "coincidental" increase in the number of racial and anti-Jewish
incidents on college campuses.  There was also an article about a week
ago concerning some frat members at Northern Illinois University who
where suspended after performing a humorous skit in blackface.  The
university has a history of students involved in white supremacist
organizations, including publication of white supremacist literature
and rallies on campus.

I don't think racist jokes cause racism, in general.  What I don't
doubt for a second is that toleration of racist jokes puts a stamp of
approval on racism, and that caring communities should tolerate
neither.
--
Melinda Shore                                    shore@ncifcrf.gov
NCI Supercomputer Facility              ..!uunet!ncifcrf.gov!shore

ask@cbnews.ATT.COM (Arthur S. Kamlet) (12/06/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?

>Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.

>There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
>jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.

>Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
>agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.

Well said.

But prepare to have the world disagree that the anti-semitic slurs
were amti-semitic slurs.
--
Art Kamlet  ask@cbrmb.att.com  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus

adams3@cisunx.UUCP (Larry Adams) (12/06/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
>
>Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.
>
>A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.
>
>Dan

umm, i don't agree.  discussion of two particular ethnic jokes lead to
a heated discussion about racism, and two individuals sent remarks
which were interpreted as racist & bigoted.

notice how this was phrased, however.  there were "a number" of remarks
(although i suppose that two may be considered a number), they were
"anti-semitic slurs" (i feel they fall under the category of harassment
rather than anti-semitism), and they were in reply to a "rather
moderate post".
all in the eye of the beholder, i suppose.

	larry adams
	standard disclaimers apply

jlc@wucfua.wustl.edu (Roving UIUC CS Grad Student) (12/06/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
>
>Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.
>
>There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
>jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.

I haven't noticed any anti-semitic slurs ON THE NET (although there certainly
appear to have been some via E-Mail, unfortunately).

However, I'd agree that the "racist" joke has provoked some bigoted responses,
largely on the part of those protesting it. More than once I've seen
the "white male == bigot" assertion made (and, thankfully, challenged).
To that extent I'd agree that ethnic jokes have caused some display of
bigotry. "Caused" is much too strong a word --- I strongly suspect that the
bigoted attitudes, both of the anonymous E-Mailers and the anti-White male
bigots on the net, were there before The Joke was posted and all this
discussion erupted.

>Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
>agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.

An "official agent of usenet"? USENET *HAS* no "official agents" --- it's
an anarchy. The closest you could come to an "official agent" are the
highly unofficial net.gods --- those that have been around a long time
and have authority due to expertise. There is, simply, nothing and no one
that can be pointed at and called USENET.

And "no benefit whatever"? I think there may have been a definite benefit:
those who actually believe in the ethnic stereotypes have been informed by
the majority of those on the net that WE DO NOT. And those that believe that
ethnic jokes actually do perpetuate ethnic stereotypes have, hopefully, seen
that their view is also not shared by most of those on the net.

>Dan

| John L. Coolidge   Internet:jlc@wucfua.wustl.edu    UUCP:jlc@wucfua.uucp |
| "My other account is in Illinois"        I just read news here...        |
| With the exception of included material: All above opinions are mine.    |
| Licensing terms available. Copyright (c) 1988 John L. Coolidge. Copying  |
| allowed if and only if attributed. All other rights reserved.            |

clong@topaz.rutgers.edu (Chris Long) (12/06/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu>, Dan Berleant writes:

> Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
> Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.

No.  I can see it now, "Hey Sally, check this joke out."  "Gee, I
guess Jews must be stingy!"  Spare me, please.  If anything, said
jokes have exactly the opposite effect.  Wanna agrue this 'til you're
blue in the face?  I'm game.

> There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
> jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
> moderate posts.

"A number of anti-semitic slurs ..."  I believe this "number" was
a whopping 2; and it must be painfully obvious to all expect the
completely brain-dead that they were sent out by an immature twit
(who may or may not be an anti-Semite) who was looking for attention
- the comments were apparently chosen for maximum shock value.

> Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
> agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.

I consider laughter to be a benefit; do you disagree?
--
Chris (Munson)-Long

"The proofs are so obvious that they can be left to the reader."
Lars V. Ahlfors, _Complex Analysis_

flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (12/07/88)

In article <679@fcs280s.ncifcrf.gov> shore@ncifcrf.gov (Melinda Shore) writes:
>[]
>I don't think racist jokes cause racism, in general.  What I don't
>doubt for a second is that toleration of racist jokes puts a stamp of
>approval on racism, and that caring communities should tolerate
>neither.

One bit of data: in England [where racist jokes are illegal] racist comments
are far more common acceptable among the upper class than they are in the
States, where they are not.  Can't say much about the other classes, but
racist graffitti is more common in the parts of England I've seen than
in America.
From: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
Portal,MacNet: FlashsMom

oliver@unc.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (12/07/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu> berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
>Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
>
>Sadly, the answer appears be a definite yes.
>
>There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
>jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
>moderate posts.
>
>Promoting ethnic jokes in rec.humor.funny (by the moderator, an official
>agent of usenet) has no benefit whatever, and promotes bigotry as well.
>
>Dan

Now, if you review the postings to the net on this subject, the only
ethnic slurs that were actually posted as articles in fact came from
those who objected to the jokes.

The "number" anti-semetic slurs you refer to apparently come from one,
maybe two people who have access to the net, and were e-mail messages,
not postings.  Are you claiming that these one or two people were not
anti-semitic before this started? Heh.  I'd like to see your reasoning
on this.

Bill Oliver

shani@TAURUS.BITNET (12/11/88)

In article <4204@cs.utexas.edu>, berleant@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Berleant) writes:
> Do ethnic jokes cause bigotry?
> There have been examples right here in the current discussion of ethnic
> jokes. A number of anti-semitic slurs were sent in reaction to rather
> moderate posts.
>
> Dan

You see class? this is a VERY GOOD example of misusing logic! Dan is adding
assumption into his conclusion path...

Now realy Dan, who said those anti-semitic slures has anything to do with
the joke that started it all? who said they have anything to do with the
argument at all?

Now realy people, stop reguaring racism as a rational response to events.
It's not. Racisim is a kind of idiocy and should be treated as such.

O.S.