[news.misc] _Boston Herald_ article on JEDR/Templeton case

sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth Gordon) (12/05/88)

The _Boston Herald_ of 12/4/88, page 2, contains an article on the
JEDR/Templeton case.  JEDR, who has decided not to post to the net for a
while, would like you all to know that it contains errors, and given
some of the things it says, I agree.

JEDR's comments:

1) The word "legal" in para. 2 should be "legitimate."

2) Para. 3: "Richmond... [is getting help from FBI et al. to] get a
computer network called USENET either censored or off the air."  He
didn't call for either.  "USENET has many valuable aspects & must be
differentiated from one small part of it," he says (here, now, sitting
next to me).  He did not use the word "censorship" at any time.

3) Para. 8: "he turned on his computer on Nov. 8..." Wrong; he did not
say that the "six million" joke, referred to in this paragraph, appeared
on Nov. 8.

4) Numerous factual errors.

JEDR is trying to clear this up with Herald management.

My own comment: I am firmly astride the fence on this issue (were I
Templeton, I wouldn't post racist jokes, but I suppose he has every
right to), but I know JEDR personally, and I will vouch for his
integrity.  If he says he was misquoted, I believe him.

The article also refers to his actions as "a one-man campaign."  What
are Nancy Gould and David Makowsky, chopped liver?  Furthermore,
mightn't the original print article, in the Kitchener _Waterloo-Record,_
have been prompted by a *Canadian,* not by the eevil Spirit of Richmond
that doth corrode the grand anarchic traditions of the net?

Furthermore, the _Boston Herald_ is (or, until very recently, was) owned
by Rupert Murdoch, whose reputation for journalistic integrity, or lack
thereof, is well-known.

Whatever JEDR has done in the past, the story is clearly now on the
wire, and how far it spreads is out of his control.

JEDR's current position, I believe, is: he doesn't want to deprive
anyone of their Constitutional rights, but Templeton et al. should use
better judgement, like the editor of a newspaper would, to exclude
overtly racist comments.

Flames on Grand Issues of Free Speech and All That Bullshit go in
/dev/null.  Please.  I doubt much of this "debate" has convinced anyone
of anything.

--
"Some people get results, I get consequences." --Jimmy Durante
: bloom-beacon!athena.mit.edu!sethg / standard disclaimer

In article <8304@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth
Gordon) writes:
>JEDR's current position, I believe, is: he doesn't want to deprive
>anyone of their Constitutional rights, but Templeton et al. should use
>better judgement, like the editor of a newspaper would, to exclude
>overtly racist comments.

It's too late for this!  No matter how justified Jonathan Richmond's
complaints and flames were, he's managed to bring the Real World(tm)
(That (tm) is also (tm), but I forget by whom :-) into it.  You
yourself said that it is "out of his control," and how true that is.
I think that we are about to see quite a few sites being forced to
leave the 'net at least temporarily.

To have that happen as a result of a few people being offended by a
joke and making a big enough stink about it to bring in outsiders who
won't understand the intricacies of the Usenet and who will instead
simply take the sites in their control off of the 'net is a real
shame.

I think most of us knew from the start that Jonathan Richmond and the
people who argued on his side of this issue would not be able to get
Brad Templeton out of r.h.f.  On the other hand, many of us also knew
from the start that this would probably be the result.  Perhaps JEDR
et al could have been just a bit less eager and a bit more rational?

  Jonathan Kamens
  MIT Project Athena

ockerbloom-john@CS.YALE.EDU (John A. Ockerbloom) (12/05/88)

In article <8304@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth Gordon) writes:
>The _Boston Herald_ of 12/4/88, page 2, contains an article on the
>JEDR/Templeton case.  JEDR, who has decided not to post to the net for a
>while, would like you all to know that it contains errors, and given
>some of the things it says, I agree....
>
>Whatever JEDR has done in the past, the story is clearly now on the
>wire, and how far it spreads is out of his control...

Interesting.  Just a few weeks ago the press was reporting on the
virus that had infected this Net, and now it seems we've infected
them with one as well... :-)

John Ockerbloom
ockerbloom@cs.yale.EDU              ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!ockerbloom
ocker@yalecs.BITNET                 Box 5323 Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520

oliver@unc.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (12/06/88)

In article <8304@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth Gordon) writes:

>... but I know JEDR personally, and I will vouch for his
>integrity.

What does this prove?   Haldeman vouched for Colson...

>Whatever JEDR has done in the past, the story is clearly now on the
>wire, and how far it spreads is out of his control.

Right.  Reminds me of a homicide case I worked on once where the
defendant claimed he just fired the gun -- where the bullet went
was not his responsibility.

>Flames on Grand Issues of Free Speech and All That Bullshit go in
>/dev/null.

Yeah, I guess "Free Speech and All That Bullshit" pretty much
sums up the difference in our perspectives.

Bill Oliver

mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) (12/07/88)

In article <8304@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth Gordon) writes:
>The _Boston Herald_ of 12/4/88, page 2, contains an article on the
>JEDR/Templeton case.  JEDR, who has decided not to post to the net for a
>while, would like you all to know that it contains errors...

He is not "deciding not to post" by having somebody else post his thoughts
for him.  All he is doing is the equivalent of casting a remark over his
sholder as he slams the door on the way out.  I would hope that he either
says what he has to say himself, and stays around for the discussion,
or doesn't say anything.

> I know JEDR personally, and I will vouch for his integrity.

In the face of his behaviour, this will take a LOT of vouching for.
Remember the "would you hire Morris" quiz?  I'll bet this guy would
fare much worse in that poll.

>The article also refers to his actions as "a one-man campaign."  What
>are Nancy Gould and David Makowsky, chopped liver?

They are people who have engaged in debate against great odds, for which
I think they have earned a lot of respect (if not much agreement).  JEDR
on the other hand has apparently tried to HARM the people he disagrees
with, out of an attitude of moral superiority.  This is beneath contempt.

>Furthermore, the _Boston Herald_ is (or, until very recently, was) owned
>by Rupert Murdoch, whose reputation for journalistic integrity, or lack
>thereof, is well-known.

Consider that statement, then consider that the Herald is the one that ran
the story.  I wonder if JEDR even tried to contact the Boston Globe, the
major newpaper in Boston.

>JEDR's current position, I believe, is: he doesn't want to deprive
>anyone of their Constitutional rights...

Which he is proving in a very strange way.  The Herald article says that
Richmond is a native of London, England.  Is he making this gracious
gesture, of not depriving people of their US Constitutional rights, as a
US citizen?

>Flames on Grand Issues of Free Speech and All That Bullshit go in
>/dev/null.

Whether you associate them that way in your mind is your own business.
I don't.

>: Seth Gordon / MIT Brnch., PO Box 53, Cambridge, MA 02139

-mm-
--
Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129     BIX: mmallett

dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) (12/07/88)

In article <8304@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth Gordon) writes:
| Furthermore, the _Boston Herald_ is (or, until very recently, was) owned
| by Rupert Murdoch, whose reputation for journalistic integrity, or lack
| thereof, is well-known.

Oh Chr*st!  That explains _everything_!  Mr Murdoch is well known to us
Aussies (from whence he came, to our perpetual shame) and he's also giving
the Poms a hard time too.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU),  Alcatel-STC Australia,  dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET,  ...munnari!stcns3.stc.oz.AU!dave

greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) (12/08/88)

In article <414@zinn.MV.COM> mem@zinn.MV.COM (Mark E. Mallett) writes:
>In article <8304@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth Gordon) writes:
>>JEDR's current position, I believe, is: he doesn't want to deprive
>>anyone of their Constitutional rights...
>
>Which he is proving in a very strange way.  The Herald article says that
>Richmond is a native of London, England.  Is he making this gracious
			 ^^^^^^
>gesture, of not depriving people of their US Constitutional rights, as a
>US citizen?

Actually, (if I recall correctly) the article simply said that he is from
London.  This could also refer to London, Canada which is quite near to
Waterloo (100km or so?), which is where Brad Templeton (and University of
Waterloo) is based.  In any case, his wish to not deprive anyone (including
Canadians such as Brad) of their [American] constitutional right is absurd.

>>: Seth Gordon / MIT Brnch., PO Box 53, Cambridge, MA 02139
>Mark E. Mallett  Zinn Computer Co/ PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103

Greg Yachuk		Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA	(415) 322-4100
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy		why yes, I DID choose that login myself

greyham@ausonics.OZ (Greyham Stoney) (12/12/88)

Hey, I gotta say, all this r.h.f. business is really good for a laugh from
where I sit (down in .oz); (Almost as good as the MES business!!! that was a
laugh - so go ahead, sue me; I live 10000km away, and you probably can't
afford the air-fare anyhow); but I just gotta follow-up this one....

in article <8304@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, sethg@athena.mit.edu (Seth Gordon) says:
> Furthermore, the _Boston Herald_ is (or, until very recently, was) owned
> by Rupert Murdoch, whose reputation for journalistic integrity, or lack
> thereof, is well-known.

Yeah - believe him!. The guy owns the vast majority of the print media here in
Oz; if we want to read anyones opinion, we have to read his!.

But really, if his bozo's have mis-represented you, why did you trust them?.
(any Aussie could tell you you can't trust those guys..... :-)

								Greyham.
--
# Greyham Stoney:      (disclaimer not necessary: I'm obviously irresponsible)
# greyham@ausonics.oz - Ausonics Pty Ltd, Lane Cove.  /* Official Sponsor */