Darren Croke.

From uucp Sun Jan  8 00:41 PST 1989
>From research.att.com!uucp%attunix%siriusb  Sat Jan  7 09:27:14 1989 remote from uunet
From: uunet!siriusb.att.com!attunix!uucp
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 89 09:27 EST
To: graphon!dc

***** UNDELIVERABLE MAIL sent to bills, being returned by sfbat!uucp *****
rmail: Error # 2 'Problem with mailfile' encountered on system sfbat

Date: 7 Jan 89 02:09:17 GMT
From: graphon!dc@uunet.uu.net  (Darren Croke)
Subject: Re: Memory utilisation in X11 systems
Sender: xpert-request@athena.mit.edu
To: xpert@athena.mit.edu

(posted Tue, Jan 3). I was disturbed to read the following comment.

> But writing a client which deals with resource exhaustion may well mean
> implementing the same thing twice - for example once using backing store
> (no redraw required on expose events) and once using explicit redraw if
> the backing store isn't available.  I cannot believe that such an application
> would achieve acceptable performance in both cases (else why bother with
> the backing store implementation) so effectively the application doesn't
> work unless sufficient backing store is available.  So much for portability.

The X11R3 protocol spec clearly states on page 33 that selecting
backing-store for a window informs the server that maintaining contents
would be beneficial.
         ----------
The spec goes on to say that "the server may stop maintaining contents
at any time", which, correct me if I'm wrong, means that your client
will receive expose events.

Hopefully writers of clients will cater for expose events even when
backing-store is advertised.  Failure to do this will result in clients
that won't run on most of the low end X terminals which don't have
virtual memory and obviously have a finite limit as to how much
backing-store they can maintain.

Darren Croke.

SECOND MAIL ITEM
From uucp Sun Jan  8 00:41 PST 1989
From: uunet!siriusb.att.com!attunix!uucp
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 89 09:27 EST
To: graphon!dc

remote execution	[uucp job sfbatN34de (1/7-9:27:39)]
	rmail bills
exited with status 2

	===== stderr was =====
rmail: Cannot append to /usr/mail/bills
rmail: Return to attunix!siriusb!siriusb!arpa!uunet.uu.net!uucp!graphon!dc