[news.misc] Commercial Information Providers on USENET

fair@APPLE.COM (Erik E. Fair) (02/19/89)

There has been some discussion of whether commercial information
providers (e.g. BIX, CompuServe, The Source, GEnie, the WELL, Portal
Communications Corp.) should be "allowed" on USENET, and to what extent
they should participate (the double quotes around "allowed" are there
because, realistically, there is little we can do to change whatever
level of participation they choose in our network, so long as they can
find at least one site to talk to). This article is my "take" on the
question.

There are a number of ways for these organizations to participate:

1. As a mail-only site. They would exchange Email between their
	subscribers and any other reachable address out in the Matrix
	(the world computer network consisting of the Internet, BITNET,
	the UUCP network, and the FidoNET [and probably some I forgot]).

2. Installing netnews alongside whatever forums, conferences, or
	whatever-term-you-like that they already have, but without any
	kind of cross linking or gatewaying. This is what exists on the
	WELL in Sausalito, California; their subscribers may partake of
	both the local conferences, and netnews, but the material that
	the users post in the local conferencing system stays on the
	WELL (and the stuff they post in netnews goes out to where ever
	it goes).

3. Doing a full blown gateway between their local conferencing system
	and netnews (or throwing away the local conferencing system in
	favor of basing it on netnews).

Participating in the existing worldnet presents a variety of problems
to these organizations, depending upon how they view themselves. If
they go whole hog and their services exactly match the USENET, then
they should worry about the potential for erosion of their subscriber
base, and how they might continue to differentiate their service (and
justify its cost) from what the typical netnews reader has at his
disposal on a UNIX system. The first three areas that come to my mind
for doing that are:

1. Extra information services that are only available on the
	particular system (not transmitted to USENET for reasons of
	copyright or contractual restriction, e.g. UPI news wire, or a
	moderation service [i.e. you can read netnews raw, or someone
	else's interpretation of what is most interesting]).

2. Superior user interfaces which have capabilities that netnews and/or
	our mail system don't have, perhaps including better
	information presentation, multi-media documents,
	sorting/filing/filtering tools, etc.

3. Strictly interactive services (e.g. games, simulations, and
	real-time conferencing).

It is interesting to note that a number of small information services
now exist within USENET and are basically profitable: UUNET, Portal
Communications Corp. (netnews from outside their system seems to be the
largest portion of the information that they offer, and they are doing
just fine), and the WELL (which, as noted above, has its own local
conferencing system that has not suffered from co-existence with
netnews; netnews was there at the start of the service about four years
ago, and it has been more of a draw than a subscriber base erosion causer).

It should be fairly clear why the larger information services are
beginning to show interest in joining us - if you believe Brian Reid's
arbitron numbers, the USENET is about equal in size of the biggest
information service in the U.S.: CompuServe, at 400,000 subscribers.
I believe that USENET is now large enough, and generates enough useful
information that a smaller information service must offer netnews to
their subscribers, in order to compete effectively with the bigger
services.

In my opinion, the move by various information services to join USENET
is a good thing, if they really do go all the way. I despair when I see
lists of hundreds of bulletin board systems, some or all of which might
have some interesting bit of information on them that I'll never see,
because I don't have time to dial up and examine each one on a daily
basis. USENET brings information to me (and to all of you, too), rather
than forcing me to go to the information, and that's how worldnet ought
to work.

I'm glad to see that BIX is thinking of joining us, and I hope they
decide to participate fully. Welcome to the wider world!

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (02/19/89)

While I don't see anything wrong with the participation of commercial
online services in usenet, as long as it is done in cooperation, I don't
think full bidirectional feeds would be desirable from our end.

This is because all the online services I have seen (Compuserve, Genie,
Bix, Delphi, The Source(long ago)) still have vestiges of their BBS
related roots.

In particular, their forums/sigs/round tables/conferences/groups all
are full of messages like this:

	From: JOE		to: FRED
	Subject: 2gs

	Thanks Fred, I will look into it.

ie. personal replies and mail messages.  This comes from the fact that
the earliest BBS systems didn't even have EMAIL, and this was how you
replied to somebody.  This is encouraged today by the fact that most
of the services still implement the concept of an open message "to"
somebody.  On usenet, messages are all "to all" and people get flamed
when they violate this rule too much.  (Not that usenet is perfect.)

Anyway, any link with the online services would have to make sure these
messages didn't get through.  One could start simply by only taking
messages that are "to: all", but the reply facilities on these services
make that true only of original messages.  No followups would come through.
(Maybe that's a good idea.)

I think the best idea is moderated gateways, that allow the best from
each network to flow.  If RHF ever expands to other nets, this is how
I would set it up.

Let's face it.  Most groups are quite big enough -- we don't need more
random input in them.  Expanding them without editing serves little
purpose.  (I often think a good idea for USENET would be to split into
regions where the groups are of a manageable size, and have only moderated
groups cross regions.)
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

fair@Apple.COM (Erik E. Fair) (02/19/89)

Brad, I am in favor of full, unmoderated exchange with any and all
other information sources that we can reach. I realize fully that this
attitude means that we will drown in information (and drivel, for
whatever your personal definition of drivel is) if we do nothing.

However, I also believe that there are a variety of techniques, which,
when added/applied to our software, will make it possible to comb the
oceans of information that USENET generates, with a minimum of effort,
and a maximum of effect. The problem will present itself to us sooner
or later, and I'd rather have it solved sooner. If I can cause good
solutions to appear sooner by making the problem more apparent to more
people, so much the better (and there's neat new information for me to
look at in the mean time).

I also realize that there will be a period of culture shock for any
other network joining the wider world. I expect that the FidoNET
community is undergoing this culture shock right now, as their network
gets more widely gatewayed to USENET (if you didn't know, there is now
a package available to transparently gateway both Email and netnews
to/from FidoNET's Fidomail and Echomail, such that the Fido looks like
just another UUCP node to the USENET site). This is a normal part of
(dare I say it?) "growing up" in the worldnet.

	Erik E. Fair	apple!fair	fair@apple.com

rob@inmos.co.uk (Robin Pickering) (02/20/89)

In article <26033@apple.Apple.COM> fair@Apple.COM (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>                                         I realize fully that this
>attitude means that we will drown in information (and drivel, for
>whatever your personal definition of drivel is) if we do nothing.
>
>However, I also believe that there are a variety of techniques, which,
>when added/applied to our software, will make it possible to comb the
>oceans of information that USENET generates, with a minimum of effort,
>and a maximum of effect.

It is worth remembering that there are more issues associated with the
overloading of usenet that just the inconvenience of combing out useful
information from it. It may not seem that way to sites on high bandwidth
networks like the internet or who are a local trailblazer call away from
their newsfeed, but even these transport methods have a *finite* capacity.
This doesn't even take into consideration the local storage capacity problems
many sites have with news.

I am not against the importing of as much information as possible to the
usenet but S/N ratio's must be taken into account. If for example the
amount of [information | drivel] doubled as a result of these proposals
and the actual useful information content increased by 10%, a proportion
of existing networks/sites would either keel over and drop off the usenet
entirely or would seriously restrict the number of newsgroups propogated
(at present the only way of affecting S/N). This would be very detrimental
to the usenet as a whole.

 Rob Pickering, Software Development Group, Inmos
JANET:    ROB@UK.CO.INMOS      | ARPA: rob%uk.co.inmos@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
UUCP:     rob@inmos.co.uk (...uunet!mcvax!ukc!inmos!rob)
(... opinions expressed are my own ...)