[news.misc] Usenet S/N ratio

jdiaz@hqsun1.oracle.com (Jean Marie Diaz) (02/22/89)

   From: rob@inmos.co.uk (Robin Pickering)

   [If the S/N ratio drops much farther] a proportion
   of existing networks/sites would either keel over and drop off the usenet
   entirely or would seriously restrict the number of newsgroups propogated
   (at present the only way of affecting S/N). This would be very detrimental
   to the usenet as a whole.

"Imminent death of the net predicted."  This is already happening, has been
for years.  Sys files are larger, some sites aren't here that might be
otherwise, but the net still exists.

				   AMBAR
ambar@oracle.com				 {uunet,pyramid}!oracle!ambar

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) (02/22/89)

## This would be very detrimental to the usenet as a whole.

# "Imminent death of the net predicted."  This is already happening, has been
# for years.  Sys files are larger, some sites aren't here that might be
# otherwise, but the net still exists.

For once, I don't think the first person I quoted was predicting the
imminent death of Usenet.  He was pointing out a fact I agree with:

This Network Sucks.  And It Has Gotten Worse Over Time.

Too many people, and they all want to contribute their two bits.  (Me, for
example.)  Jean, you're right -- some sites aren't here that might be other-
wise.  Someday one of those sites will be UMD or UCB, finally dropping out
because they can't deal with the drivel anymore and nobody who's left will
much care.

Uunet proved an interesting point -- people will _pay_ for this garbage.

But as time goes on, the people I want most to read, don't write.  They go
on and find something else to do with their entertainment time, since Usenet
leans more and more toward only being entertaining if you like to flame.

No, Usenet won't die.  Sometimes I think that's the problem, not a virtue.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

>   [If the S/N ratio drops much farther] a proportion
>   of existing networks/sites would either keel over and drop off the usenet
>   entirely or would seriously restrict the number of newsgroups propogated
>   (at present the only way of affecting S/N).

>"Imminent death of the net predicted.

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

As someone who has been around USENET for a while, let me just point out
that the imminent death of USENET has been predicted many, many times (I've
done it more times than I want to admit at this point).

When USENET volume hit a megabyte a month, the sky started falling
When USENET volume hit a megabyte a week, the net wasn't going to last
	another year.
When USENET volume hit a megabyte a day, it was a crisis that needed
	immediate attention.

The reality is that USENET is amazingly flexible and responsive to traffic.
It's been written off as dead more times than I can name. The funny thing
is, while us 'experts' have been ranting and raving about the death of the
net, the net just sort of goes on and proves us wrong.

It changes over time. But dead? The net is a *lot* more robust than anyone
wants to give it credit for.

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Signature quotes? We don't need no stinkin' signature quotes!

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (02/23/89)

From: rob@inmos.co.uk (Robin Pickering)

>[If the S/N ratio drops much farther] a proportion of existing
>networks/sites would either keel over and drop off the usenet entirely
>or would seriously restrict the number of newsgroups propogated (at
>present the only way of affecting S/N). This would be very detrimental
>to the usenet as a whole.

This is certainly a problem, and (obligatory "Death of Usenet" warning
:-) is bound to get worse as more PC's and Fido gateways get added to
the net.

I've long wanted a program that could filter out the chaff and just
give me the few kernels of wheat.  Perhaps some kind of program could
be written, which would after each message ask the user to rate it from
1 to 10.  Ultimately, it would figure out that user's criteria for
rating, and stop giving him the 1's, 3's, or whatever.  I would like
to be able to change the "squelch" value, raising it to 6 or 7 if
I'm busy and there's backed-up news, or dropping it to 2 or 3 if I'm
exceptionally bored.

A better approach would perhaps be to at least start off with some
explicit criteria.  Maybe the news-reader could have a "Why are you
bothering me with this CRAP?!" key, like rn's "K" key, which could
perhaps ask the user for what is wrong with this particular message,
and drop the 'usefulness rating' of any message matching those
criteria in the future.

Of course, if this works reliably, at some time in the future backbone
sites may start to run some such filter on the usenet traffic that
passes through them.  Hopefully this would be set low, to just filter
out the real zero-content messages.  I'm not entirely sure what I
think of this possibility.  But it beats dropping off the net entirely.
--
Mike Van Pelt                 Video 7              ...ames!vsi1!v7fs1!mvp
"... Local prohibitions cannot  block advances in military and commercial

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (02/24/89)

In article <240@v7fs1.UUCP> mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
: I've long wanted a program that could filter out the chaff and just
: give me the few kernels of wheat.

It's called a moderator. :-)

---
Bill