[news.misc] Breaking Usenet up into subnets

Unnecessary. It's already split up... on subject lines. Geographical areas
are of less and less relevence as time goes on.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
People have opinions. Companies have policy. And typos are my own business.

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (02/21/89)

In article <3146@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Geographical areas
>are of less and less relevence as time goes on.

I have to disagree. About 18 Toronto-area sites post their news/mail
stats each day to tor.news.stats. It helps point out local backlogs
to/from one's uucp neighbours. The number of sites posting to this
group (and thus its traffic) has been growing steaily, just as the
number of sites in the area has been growing.

Local groups here have included discussions of area radio stations,
restaurants, singles gatherings, club meetings and so on. Newsgroup
creation is a far less formal procedure than on Usenet as a whole,
and the groups are mostly devoid of flame wars because many of the
posters have met face-to-face.

Would YOU have any interest in seeing Toronto UUCP stats? Or discussions
of our radio stations? Or Atlanta's or Stockholm's, for that matter?

I feel more comfortable about the distribution of such limited-value postings,
knowing that nobody has to pay long-distance charges for their transmission.
That doesn't make them less relevant than mainstram groups.
---

 Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
     evan@telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504
You can lead a herring to water, but you have to walk really fast or he'll die

In article <717@telly.UUCP>, evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
> In article <3146@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >Geographical areas are of less and less relevence as time goes on.

> I have to disagree. About 18 Toronto-area sites post their news/mail
> stats each day to tor.news.stats... [ more about local area groups ]

True, but that's not what's being discussed.

The suggestion was that usenet be split into (say) east coast, west coast,
and central divisions, with only moderated groups going from one division
to the other. I think this is a bad idea, because *for the majority of the
groups* geographical area is not relevant. You don't have a tor.sys.amiga,
do you?

Besides, we get fed from the east coast but we're in the central region...
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
People have opinions. Companies have policy. And typos are my own business.

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (02/24/89)

Of course geography is (largely) irrelevant.  The point is, so is everything
else, except some mystical criterion you might call "only the best people."

Since we can't really enforce such a criterion, all the other criteria
are just about the same, and geography was suggested because it's the
easiest to work with.

Let's face it.  Sometimes having too wide a membership spoils a group.
How many of you participate in small local groups and find them far
more enjoyable than similar large net groups?  They are more
manageable and understandable.  And they are quieter.   Of course
you don't get every opinion but you sometimes don't want every
opinion.

Certainly in areas like politics, religion and many others, this is
the case.  After all, these are (according to worldwide polls 8-))
the most popular discussion topics in the world, yet their netwide
groups have relatively low readership compared to other things.
After all, who has time for the netwide political groups?
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

In article <2814@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> Of course geography is (largely) irrelevant.  The point is, so is everything
> else, except some mystical criterion you might call "only the best people."

> Since we can't really enforce such a criterion, all the other criteria
> are just about the same, and geography was suggested because it's the
> easiest to work with.

But it isn't. As I pointed out we get a lot of stuff from the east coast,
uunet to be precise, and we're certainly not in their geographical area.
If people started trying to implement this, I for one would just tell
uunet to feed us the rest regardless.

And certainly a comp.lang.c with dmr@alice's postings never getting out of
the northeast US wouldn't be the same. A comp.sys.amiga missing the CATS
people. A rec.arts.sf-lovers without Chuq.

What a poor net it would leave.

evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) (02/25/89)

In article <3174@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <717@telly.UUCP>, evan@telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

>> >Geographical areas are of less and less relevence as time goes on.

>> I have to disagree. [reasons...]

>True, but that's not what's being discussed.

>The suggestion was that usenet be split into (say) east coast, west coast,
>and central divisions, with only moderated groups going from one division
>to the other. I think this is a bad idea, because *for the majority of the
>groups* geographical area is not relevant.

Sorry. Didn't see the original proposal.

I read your original posting as saying that local groups weren't
relevant anywhere. I bristled with the thought of internationally
posted Amiga-for-sale ads or nightclub assessments.

Never mind :-).

--

pell@isy.liu.se (P{r Emanuelsson) (02/27/89)

Peter da Silva wrote:
>The suggestion was that usenet be split into (say) east coast, west coast,
>and central divisions, with only moderated groups going from one division
>to the other. I think this is a bad idea, because *for the majority of the
>groups* geographical area is not relevant. You don't have a tor.sys.amiga,
>do you?

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if they had. In Sweden we have the following
*.sys.* groups:

swnet.sys.amiga
swnet.sys.dec
swnet.sys.dnix
swnet.sys.hp
swnet.sys.ibm.pc
swnet.sys.mac
swnet.sys.ncr
swnet.sys.sun

Granted, they don't show much traffic compared to their USENET counterparts,
but I feel it's the way it should be. Breaking USENET up in geographical
divisions could be a remedy for the low signal/noise ration, provided
that the competence exists in all the divisions. E.g. if I have some
SUN questions I always post to swnet.sys.sun instead of comp.sys.sun.
The SUN competence is very high in Sweden and virtually no noise exists
in the group.
The moderated groups could provide USENET-wide communications, filtering
the noise to an acceptable level. I think the idea has some merits.

Probably no action or "split" is needed. I see USENET moving away from
world-wide communications to smaller geographical areas. It will
happen by itself, I think.

    /Pell
--
"Don't think; let the machine do it for you!"
                                   -- E. C. Berkeley