[news.misc] Freedom of stupidity, was

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (04/10/89)

In article <8176@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:

>Do as you wish with the feed you offer your users, but don't you DARE tamper
>with what is entrusted to you to pass to the backbone, or from the backbone
>to some other site.

My, how officious.

If your feed is doing this, get a new feed. Or take it to stupid
peoples court.

--
       ``Parents who have children, have children who have children''
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (04/11/89)

In article <14508@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>My, how officious.

>If your feed is doing this, get a new feed. Or take it to stupid
>peoples court.

It is not a matter of being officious at all. It is a matter of common
courtesy that if you choose to pass a news group, you pass it intact. If
the news group by and large offends your delicacies or whatever, then you
discontinue receiving/forwarding the group.

There is no trouble with the chinet feed at all -- in either direction --
that I know of. But I don't post messages to be read exclusively on chinet
or on its immediate neighbors. Suppose I want someone on the other side of
the continent to read it.

Am I now expected to re-write some map to work my way around a bozo at
some site who may or may not feel like passing my message to his neighbors?

Your quick and dirty solution, 'get a new feed' to some extent nullifies
what Usenet is about, doesn't it?

--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / ptownson@bu-cs.bu.edu / US Mail: 60690-1570

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (04/13/89)

In article <8197@chinet.chi.il.us>, patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
> In article <14508@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> >If your feed is doing this, get a new feed. Or take it to stupid
> >peoples court.
> Your quick and dirty solution, 'get a new feed' to some extent nullifies
> what Usenet is about, doesn't it?

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...  Where oh where are you?  If ever the Judge were needed,
it is now.

"Get a new feed" is exactly what USENET is all about.

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu