[news.misc] ACLU policies

dbell@maths.tcd.ie (Derek Bell) (04/30/89)

In article <3994@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:
>First, on ethical grounds -- Human rights are universal -- and second,
>on practical grounds.  As Ayn Rand put it, when The State wants to
>violate a right, it starts with the most socially unacceptable
>elements and violates their rights ... but then moves on to the
>rest of us.  If we can prevent politicians from repressing the
>leftwing crazies and the rightwing crazies, then the rest of us
>should be fairly safe!

		Hmm... Dou you mean _all_ leftwing crazies & rightwing crazies
shouldn't be repressed? And what would you think of as oppression, stopping
extremist acts (eg harassing ethnic minorities) or cracking down on (say)
racist propaganda??

>If we adopted the ACLU's drug legalization program, homes wouldn't
>be burglarized for drug money, because drugs wouldn't be a Mafia
>monopoly with monopoly prices.  Nor would we have pushers trying to
>hook our children.  When's the last time somebody broke into a house
>for booze money -- or hung around a school yard selling whiskey?

		What does the ACLU propose? Legalising all narcotics, or a
few? No restrictions or just allowing it on prescription to addicts on 'cold
turkey'? (If that's the phrase.) These drugs will still be addictive, and if
legalised with no restrictions, could cause much more problems that alcoholism
does now, IMHO.

--
**********************	'It reads: The Grail is in Castle AARRGH!'
* dbell@maths.tcd.ie *  'Oooooohhhhhhh!'

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/01/89)

#
# 		Hmm... Dou you mean _all_ leftwing crazies & rightwing crazies
# shouldn't be repressed? And what would you think of as oppression, stopping
# extremist acts (eg harassing ethnic minorities) or cracking down on (say)
# racist propaganda??

There is nothing you can say or write to an adult that is so offensive
or "dangerous" that it justifies putting someone in prison.  (This is
not to say that slander and libel laws go away -- there may well be
financial consequences to damaging someone's reputation -- but no
one goes to prison).

You can easily define those actions which are truly injurious to
another party (burning a cross on someone's lawn is definitely vandalism
and potentially arson, spray-painting Nazi symbols on a synagogue
is definitely vandalism, throwing rocks through the windows is
definitely assault), and those actions which are merely offensive
(yelling "nigger" or "capitalist" at someone).

# #If we adopted the ACLU's drug legalization program, homes wouldn't
# #be burglarized for drug money, because drugs wouldn't be a Mafia
# #monopoly with monopoly prices.  Nor would we have pushers trying to
# #hook our children.  When's the last time somebody broke into a house
# #for booze money -- or hung around a school yard selling whiskey?
#
# 		What does the ACLU propose? Legalising all narcotics, or a
# few? No restrictions or just allowing it on prescription to addicts on 'cold
# turkey'? (If that's the phrase.) These drugs will still be addictive, and if
# legalised with no restrictions, could cause much more problems that alcoholism
# does now, IMHO.
#
# #Jeff Daiell
# * dbell@maths.tcd.ie *  'Oooooohhhhhhh!'

It's hard to believe that ANY of the illegal drugs would significantly
increase in use after legalization -- for practical purposes, the
laws do nothing but benefit the dealers now.

Practical experiments with decriminalization of marijuana suggest
that everyone who is trashing themselves with crack now is everyone
who is interested in trashing themselves with crack under any circum-
stances.
--
Clayton E. Cramer                   {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
Governments that don't trust most people with weapons, deserve no trust.