[news.misc] BITNET

jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt) (05/03/89)

Is there a group which carries on discussions concerning the internet /
bitnet compatability/cross-communications/whatever?  I know I can
(and do) mail across, and belong to a few bitnet mailing lists, but there
seems to be a real shortage on discussion on this possibility.

Disclaimer:  "It's mine!  All mine!!!"
					- D. Duck

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) (05/12/89)

> Is there a group which carries on discussions concerning the internet /
> bitnet compatability/cross-communications/whatever?  I know I can
> (and do) mail across, and belong to a few bitnet mailing lists, but there
> seems to be a real shortage on discussion on this possibility.

comp.mail.misc

also

info-nets@think.com
It's more efficient to use LISTSERV@BITNIC for this list.
Do this to subscribe to the listserv redistribution of the info-nets
list (I do this even though I'm from the Internet, it's easier):
Mail listserv@bitnic.bitnet
subject:  (anything at all)
SUB INFONETS Your (real) Name

also

talk to LISTSERV@BITNIC.BITNET, it has lots of files, I haven't really
found what you're looking for (I've wanted it to refer people to it).

also

it's so easy it doesn't need much explanation.
INTERNET->BITNET:
USER@HOST.BITNET is similar to USER@HOST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
and USER%HOST.BITNET@UUNET.UU.NET, and perhaps
@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU:USER@HOST.BITNET.

BITNET->INTERNET:  you're on your own, ASK YOUR LOCAL POSTMASTER.

also

BITNET and CSNET are merging.  I'd expect things to be working better
a few years from now.

GA.JRG@forsythe.stanford.edu (June Genis) (05/12/89)

In article <25098@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>,
ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) writes:
>INTERNET->BITNET:
>USER@HOST.BITNET is similar to USER@HOST.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
>and USER%HOST.BITNET@UUNET.UU.NET, and perhaps
>@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU:USER@HOST.BITNET.
>
>BITNET->INTERNET:  you're on your own, ASK YOUR LOCAL POSTMASTER.

To mail from BITNET to the internet use user%host@INTERBIT.
INTERBIT will be a different host depending on where you are in the
network topology.  That's all taken care of in the routing tables
though.  It should be transparent to the user (except that aome
INTERBITS are running experimental code to do MXing while others
aren't so you can get erratic results for MX attached sites right
now).

/June

YBMCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (05/16/89)

In article <3115@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, GA.JRG@forsythe.stanford.edu (June Genis) says:

>In article <25098@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>,
>ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) writes:
>>
>>BITNET->INTERNET:  you're on your own, ASK YOUR LOCAL POSTMASTER.
>
>To mail from BITNET to the internet use user%host@INTERBIT.
>INTERBIT will be a different host depending on where you are in the
>network topology.  That's all taken care of in the routing tables
>though.  It should be transparent to the user (except that aome
>INTERBITS are running experimental code to do MXing while others
>aren't so you can get erratic results for MX attached sites right
>now).
>
>/June

Actually, that's close but won't work.  In the general case, just mail
to user@host and let the mailers take it from there.  If they are
configured properly, they will wrap it into a BSMTP envelope, and
send it to SMTP@INTERBIT - a fake userid on a fake node connected
to CUNYVM.  The mail will then be intercepted by a gateway machine
which will send it to the Internet, after the required header munging
to produce a reply'able address on the FROM: line.

INTERBIT doesn't exist - there only exists code in the gateway machines
to pass mail destined for SMTP@INTERBIT off to the Internet.

(All of the above is true for IBM VM machines running the Crosswell
mailer.  If not, you may need to do some of this yourself, if your
mailer doesn't take care of it.  However, mail to a userid other
than SMTP will be ignored if directed at INTERBIT, so I expect
that your method won't work - unless you've got a local mailer
that makes the correct transformations.)
-------

Ben Yalow - Postmaster
BITNET: YBMCU@CUNYVM         INTERNET: YBMCU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
City University of New York      555 W 57 St  NY, NY 10019
212-903-3623