[news.misc] net abbreviations

james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) (05/06/89)

   Could someone please tell me what IMHO stands for ?
--- James

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/06/89)

In article <3877@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:
<
<   Could someone please tell me what IMHO stands for ?

I don't feel so foolish now, since I too asked once :-)

In My Humble Opinion
--
	        harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!brown

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (05/06/89)

In article <1877@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
}In article <3877@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:
}<
}<   Could someone please tell me what IMHO stands for ?
}
}I don't feel so foolish now, since I too asked once :-)

You should both feel foolish, and go direct to news.announce.newusers.  Do not
pass go, do not post any more dumb questions, do not make someone else pay a
$200 phone bill.  That's what that group is for, and the "most asked questions"
posting is about... Hell, you could even find out about the line eater without
having to post to ask!

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

dce@Solbourne.COM (David Elliott) (05/06/89)

In article <3877@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:
>   Could someone please tell me what IMHO stands for ?

"I Make Houses Oscillate"

This began as a kind of secret identifier so that we "larger than
average" net users could recognize each other.

--
David Elliott		dce@Solbourne.COM
			...!{boulder,nbires,sun}!stan!dce

brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) (05/07/89)

In article <39585@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
<In article <1877@astroatc.UUCP> brown@astroatc.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
<}In article <3877@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:
<}<
<}<   Could someone please tell me what IMHO stands for ?
<}
<}I don't feel so foolish now, since I too asked once :-)
<
<You should both feel foolish, and go direct to news.announce.newusers.  Do not
<pass go, do not post any more dumb questions, do not make someone else pay a
<$200 phone bill.  That's what that group is for, and the "most asked questions"
<posting is about... Hell, you could even find out about the line eater without
<having to post to ask!

Now why would a person like mw who has been on the net for over five years
read news.announce.newusers?  Maybe I should as a refresher course :-)
--

ngc@gtephx.UUCP (Chris Ng) (05/10/89)

In article <3877@utastro.UUCP>, james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:

>    Could someone please tell me what IMHO stands for ?

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

--
Chris Ng
UUCP   ...!asuvax!gtephx!ngc

james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) (05/11/89)

   Still no one has answered my second question : How do I read the articles in
news.announce.newusers ? When I do 'readnews news.announce.newusers' I get
'No news.' I also tried using -x with the same result.
   --- James McCartney

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (05/12/89)

james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:
   How do I read the articles in news.announce.newusers ? When I do
   'readnews news.announce.newusers' I get 'No news.'

The articles in n.a.a get re-posted every few weeks, probably under
cron control via Gene Spafford.  Wait a week or two, they'll come back
around again.

--Karl

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (05/12/89)

In article <3897@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:

>   Still no one has answered my second question : How do I read the articles in
>news.announce.newusers ? When I do 'readnews news.announce.newusers' I get
>'No news.' I also tried using -x with the same result.

1.  This is interesting.  I haven't seen a posting that asks two
questions, of which this would be the second question.  And the
quoted one is the last one in the newsgroup for us here.  Anyway:

2.  The articles in news.announce.newusers are posted periodically,
but only about once in two months.  If your news system deletes
articles more quickly than that, then for a while your system doesn't
have them.  Try again in a week and/or two and/or....

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp@relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for

jeffery@jsheese.FIDONET.ORG (Jeff Sheese) (05/14/89)

In an article of <12 May 89 09:19:15 GMT>, diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet
(Norman Diamond) writes:

 >--
 >Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab
 >(diamond%csl.sony.co.jp@relay.cs.net)
 >  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for
 >  If they're also your opinions,   |  re-implementing the wheel, when car
 >  you're infringing my copyright.  |  manufacturers are praised for it?

The only reason I'm replying to the above message is to test a new software
feature.  Until today my news editor did not support the References line.  I
made a few configuration changes.

Could someone test the validity of all the header lines starting with
'Reply-to'?  If those header lines are valid, please send e-mail.  If they
don't work, don't send mail.  Please do not respond to this message in this
newsgroup.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jeff Sheese - via FidoNet node 1:109/116
UUCP: ...!netsys!jsheese!jeffery

spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) (05/15/89)

In article <3897@utastro.UUCP> james@utastro.UUCP (James McCartney) writes:

>   Still no one has answered my second question : How do I read the articles in
>news.announce.newusers ? When I do 'readnews news.announce.newusers' I get
>'No news.' I also tried using -x with the same result.

Muts be your site admin expires news without paying any heed to the
"Expires" header line.  I post the stuff to news.announce.newusers
every 4 to 6 weeks (depending on amount of change and my workload).
Each article as an expiration of 90 days on it, and the articles were
last posted in early April.  They will get posted again in another
week or so.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

diamond@diamond.csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) (05/16/89)

>>When I do 'readnews news.announce.newusers' I get 'No news.'

>Must be your site admin expires news without paying any heed to the
>"Expires" header line.

Gee, an astrology department incorrectly predicts when a piece of news
should expire?  Hope that'll teach you.
Oh what's that?  An *astronomy* department.  Oh in that case, they
ought to be able to make the prediction.  Get after your system
administrator about that one.