[news.misc] duplicate news articles

dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) (05/21/89)

To forestall lots of people posting questions wondering what is going
on:  If you are seeing lots of duplicate news articles, it is probably
because root@unix.SRI.COM is reposting articles with new message-IDs.
I have sent a message to root@unix.SRI.COM saying this, so let's hope
the problem will be fixed soon.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (05/21/89)

I got mail from Susan Cole (cole@unix.sri.com), who says that the dups
were the result of a one-time mistake involving a large number of
articles.  It is not an ongoing problem.  I'm sure she'll post an
explanation soon. (I have one, but I'll leave it to her)

Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
61 Tenafly Road          that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

cole@unix.SRI.COM (Susan E. Cole) (05/22/89)

In article <7345@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>To forestall lots of people posting questions wondering what is going
>on:  If you are seeing lots of duplicate news articles, it is probably
>because root@unix.SRI.COM is reposting articles with new message-IDs.
>I have sent a message to root@unix.SRI.COM saying this, so let's hope
>the problem will be fixed soon.
>--
>Rahul Dhesi <dhesi@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
>UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

Too true ... I did this by using recnews to repost a bunch of articles
locally when (I am told) I should have use inews -p.  I do apologize.
I understand that attempting to cancel these would only make traffic
problems worse, so I haven't.

- Susan (the guilty party)
--
- Susan Cole

USENET:  ...!hplabs!sri-unix!cole
ARPA:    cole@unix.sri.com

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (05/22/89)

In article <32018@sri-unix.SRI.COM> cole@unix.SRI.COM (Susan E. Cole) writes:
SC> I understand that attempting to cancel these would only make traffic
SC> problems worse, so I haven't.

Okay, if you didn't, then who sent out 900 control message from
sri-unix cancelling sri-unix message-ids?  Not that it really affects
me or anything, but now I'm curious.  I thought it was you.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))