[news.misc] Cayman on the net

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (05/21/89)

In article <2895@cayman.COM> chris@cayman.COM (Chris North, Technical Support)
writes:
>  I was under the same impression as you and my posting was only in
>response to a number of requests asking for our address.  If the conscensus
>is that this announcement was inappropriate, then I apologize and I will
>certainly not let it happen again.

I don't know that there is a net consensus.  There was one about six or
seven years ago, and I haven't heard of a turnabout, but it may have
drifted to the other side by now.  I am redirecting discussion to
news.misc to determine whether there is now a consensus against paying
for other's commercial technical support e-mail.

To summarize for news.misc readers:  A company has stated its intent to
provide technical support over the network.  The last time I heard this
discussed, there was a very strong consensus against it; this was with
respect to Wollongong making a similar announcement in the early
1980's.  Many people expressed the unwillingness to pay for forwarding
these commercial messages.  In the light on the greatly increased
traffic, this may have changed, and I solicit comments from system
administrators in particular.  I personally think e-mail support is a
good idea, and I feel the earlier reluctance may have had more to do
with a lack of respect for the quality of Wollongong's products than
with a general policy.  In any case, this matter needs to be clarified.

>  I think one point to note however is that the net would not be paying
>for my company's tech support.  The person who is benefitting
>is the person who would have been making the long distance phone call to me.

Yes, people would be paying to forward support messages to you, and no
doubt from you as well.  This was what people objected to before.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Every institution I've ever been associated with has tried to screw me."

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (05/21/89)

There are many companies performing tech support over the various nets.
SCO is one of the most obvious examples, and a well liked one, I think.

There never has been any sort of concensus against commercial use of the
net in any of its forms.  Quite the opposite, it's all over the place.

Consider the top ten groups:

  1 65000 rec.humor.funny	- Evil capitalist group  :-)
  2 58000 news.announce.conferences	- you pay to put these in CACM
  3 57000 news.announce.important
  4 51000 alt.sex
  5 50000 comp.sys.ibm.pc	- half the postings are requests for
				  information people need in their work.
  6 49000 misc.jobs.offered	- Help wanted ads are a big industry
  7 45000 comp.sources.unix
  8 43000 news.announce.newusers
  9 41000 comp.sys.mac		- lots of messages for commercial benefit
 10 40000 misc.forsale		- how much more commercial can you get?

 This answers the question well.  Almost all of us regularly use the
 net, either overtly or quietly, for our commercial purposes.  If there
 has been any concensus, it's "No commercial ABuse," not "No commercial use."

 If it benefits the other folks on the net, and not just you, then it's ok.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (05/22/89)

In the case of product tech support via netmail, we should defer to
the anarchy of the net rather than try to impose rules. If I am a leaf
site who happens to use XYZroff and I mail one question to the vendor
every couple of months, my feed sites would have to be insane tyrants
to care. If on the other hand I am XYZroff Corp. and am receiving and
answering twenty requests per day, then *my* mail feed site had better
be feeling generous -- or be compensated for its trouble. And so on up
to the "backbone" at which point the traffic scatters.

Unless Rick objects, a simple solution would be to "request" that any
commercial operation wanting to use the net for tech support subscribe
to UUNET directly. That way you're paying the most oppressed part for
his services, and dealing straight from the "backbone" net-wide.
--
Tom Neff				UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."	Internet: tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

bob@monster.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/22/89)

If a company wants to provide mail access to itself, it should become
a UUNET subscriber so that they are paying the bill for the largest
flow choke point.

If it wants to provide absolutely secure, absolutely reliable mail
access to itself (as "absolutely" as you can get :-), and to throw in
file transfers for maintenance and updates as well, it should set up
direct UUCP links with its customers.  We've done this with a vendor
because they needed to be able to get kernel cores from our system and
give us new kernel object modules, by dialing us from California.  It
was very useful.

If a vendor wants to provide an electronic customer support forum,
they should get themselves (and their customers) a "biz.all" feed and
establish their own newsgroup there.  That's why the "biz"
distribution arose.  Again, if they want to be as assured as possible
that the flow of biz.all news is reliable, they should establish a
direct feed with each customer for just this distribution (or perhaps
even just their own group in that distribution).

It's anarchistic capitalism at its best: You want it, you pay for it.

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (05/23/89)

In article <7382@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>To summarize for news.misc readers:  A company has stated its intent to
>provide technical support over the network.  The last time I heard this
>discussed, there was a very strong consensus against it; this was with
>respect to Wollongong making a similar announcement in the early
>1980's.  Many people expressed the unwillingness to pay for forwarding
>these commercial messages.  In the light on the greatly increased
>traffic, this may have changed, and I solicit comments from system
>administrators in particular.  I personally think e-mail support is a
>good idea, and I feel the earlier reluctance may have had more to do
>with a lack of respect for the quality of Wollongong's products than
>with a general policy.  In any case, this matter needs to be clarified.

The last time this made the rounds, a new top level distribution
was creates: biz. It's purpose was to carry commercial traffic from
vendors, be it advertising, product support, whatever. Only sites
explicitly requesting a particular subset of biz would receive
the postings.

One solution would be to create biz.comp.caymen. This group could
be sent to those customer sites wanting to exchange product support
information. Customer sites could get it "direct from the source" or
make arrangements amongst themselves for distribution.

As far as support via email is concerned, my feeling has always been
that if you're only sending a couple of messages a week, don't worry
about it, unless you're sending large files back and forth. Otherwise,
set up a direct link with the other site. In our case, we maintain
general email links with alberta, decwrl, and ncc. However we also
have direct links with attcan, attvcr, cedm01, lsuc, and sq for
support related mail. Given the volume of mail we exchange with the
latter group of sites (not much) I don't think any of our mainstream
feeds would complain about us routing through them instead, however
there is another overriding reason we went with direct links to our
vendors: security. In many cases, we are exchanging proprietary
information with them that would be much too vulnerable to outside
scrutiny if we routed through "third party" nodes.

Many people will argue that it's too expensive to set up a direct
mail link with a vendor who may be located across the country somwhere.
I disagree with this. If you consider the amount of time you spend making
a voice call (going through switchboards, listening to elevator music,
explaining the problem, etc) vs the amount of time it takes to transmit
an electronic document describing your problem, you'll find your phone
bills will be less if you concentrate on using email. Of course this
argument presumes you have trained your vendor to respond as quickly
to email as to voice calls.--
Lyndon Nerenberg / Computing Services / Athabasca University
{alberta,decwrl,ncc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA