[news.misc] Net problems -- Brad pro and con

jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Jamie Andrews) (06/13/89)

In article <3305@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>The reason we're seeing a lot of proposals like Geoff's and Brad's at
>this time is because there's a demand for it.  The net has simply
>become too large.  A better response to these proposals is to come up
>with competing proposals that would be free.

     Too bad... it used to be that the response to that demand
would be to work within Usenet for a better Usenet.  Brad has
been doing some of this as well; I very much support his ideas
about article classification, although I don't think it's quite
the panacea that he seems to think.

     In fact, I think his article classification ideas are great.
I think we *can* develop news software (Pnews scripts, etc.) and
netiquette guidelines that encourage users to classify their
articles meaningfully.  I think we *can* develop news software
that allows news readers to filter out unwanted articles.
I think these ideas may lead to a different, and better, way of
reading and posting news than the present rn/Pnews.  I'm sorry I
didn't get into that particular debate when it was going a few
weeks ago, to express my support for Brad.

     Conversely, I think Brad's other activities are constantly
stretching the boundaries of netiquette.  I find particularly
repellent his proposal to exploit the wide availability of
netnews software by distributing HisOwnService with that
protocol.  No, it's not different in kind from many things that
have been done before on Usenet -- just in scope.  I hope that
if Brad makes profits with his Compuserve/ClariNet schemes, and
if Usenet ever is hit with one of these threatened lawsuits,
that Brad will recognize where the origins of his Usenet profits
lie, and support the community of the net that has contributed
to his success.

--Jamie.
  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
"Let the flesh instruct the mind"