[news.misc] Statistics regarding commercial sites on Usenet

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/13/89)

I did a bit of counting this evening. I took all the #O lines from
my mail maps, did a sort -u, and then classified them as
commercial and noncommercial. The classification had to be kind of
rough, since it was in many cases difficult or impossible to tell
the difference; however, the results are unambiguous:

	3940    70% commercial names
	1727    30% noncommercial names

---
bill@twwells.com

andys@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Andy Sherman) (06/14/89)

In article <1989Jun13.064138.14675@twwells.com>, bill@twwells (T. William Wells) writes:
>I did a bit of counting this evening. I took all the #O lines from
>my mail maps, did a sort -u, and then classified them as
>commercial and noncommercial. The classification had to be kind of
>rough, since it was in many cases difficult or impossible to tell
>the difference; however, the results are unambiguous:
>
>	3940    70% commercial names
>	1727    30% noncommercial names

This may understate it.  Some commercial domains don't put all their
hosts in the mail maps.  They tell you the gateways to their domain or
a few critical subdomains, and hide the topology.  Therefore, there
may be quite a few more hosts that you don't see.
--
Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ           *NEW ADDRESS*
AUDIBLE:  (201) 582-5928                                      *NEW PHONE*

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (06/14/89)

In article <11661@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> andys@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Andy Sherman) writes:

> In article <1989Jun13.064138.14675@twwells.com>, bill@twwells (T. William Wells) writes:

> >	3940    70% commercial names
> >	1727    30% noncommercial names

> This may understate it.  Some commercial domains don't put all their
> hosts in the mail maps.  They tell you the gateways to their domain or
> a few critical subdomains, and hide the topology.  Therefore, there
> may be quite a few more hosts that you don't see.

> Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ           *NEW ADDRESS*

Ditto the other way.  Rutgers has only one machine in it's domain in
the maps (rutgers.edu), but there are easily 100 machines (including
all of the suns using NFS for news) that have access to news.

Mark
--
Mark Smith     |  "Be careful when looking into the distance,       |All Rights
61 Tenafly Road|that you do not miss what is right under your nose."| Reserved

korenek@ficc.uu.net (Gary Korenek) (06/15/89)

In article <Jun.13.18.50.40.1989.9227@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>In article <11661@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> andys@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Andy Sherman) writes:
>
>> In article <1989Jun13.064138.14675@twwells.com>, bill@twwells (T. William Wells) writes:
>
>> >	3940    70% commercial names
>> >	1727    30% noncommercial names
>

>> This may understate it...
>
>> Andy Sherman/AT&T Bell Laboratories/Murray Hill, NJ           *NEW ADDRESS*
>
>Ditto the other way.  Rutgers has only one machine in it's domain in
>the maps (rutgers.edu), but there are easily 100 machines (including
>all of the suns using NFS for news) that have access to news.
>
>Mark

1)  I don't read news through my company's glasses, I read it for
    pleasure (and to learn... to me that's pleasure!)

2)  Our site (ficc) shows up as commercial, with 30 individuals that
    are 'casual' readers (<---my guess here).  Of course, we have
    maybe 3 'net gurus' here, but it's mostly a recreational readership.

3)  The point:  I'll bet there are lots of people out there in net
    land like me that simply take the net for what we get from it:
    it's fun, interesting, educational, unpredictable.  A marvel.
    However, our access to the net is through our employer.
    Although the number of site names that show up as buisness-
    oriented may outnumber names that show up as individual-
    oriented, my bet is there are far more recreational net-reading
    individuals than buisness-types.

--
Gary Korenek                 (713)274-5357             korenek@ficc.uu.net
Ferranti Int'l Controls Corp.    PO Box 5012  Sugar Land, Texas 77487-5012