[news.misc] How can my private e-mail be read?

ronald@ibmpcug.UUCP (Ronald Khoo) (06/16/89)

[This issue has been extensively debated before in the news.* groups.
  I have redirected followups to news.misc as it has NOTHING to do
  with indian culture..
  How about soc.culture.news or soc.culture.usenet ? :-)
]

I believe the general consensus of the net was that private e-mail
was PRIVATE email remains the property of the SENDER, taking into
account precendents from letter mail.  Should this point not be
made in one of the news.announce.newusers articles? I just looked
again and didn't see it there...

In article <2750@wpi.wpi.edu> bmaruti@wpi.wpi.edu (B Maruti) writes:
%In article <1989Jun13.175158.15024@cs.rochester.edu>, raman@cs.rochester.edu (Rajeev Raman) writes:
%>
%> "THOU SHALT NOT POST PRIVATE COMMUNICATIONS WITHOUT PERMISSION*"
%>
%> rr
%>
%> * - Unless unsolicited.. in this case, Mr. Bhatia, I think you (indirectly)
%> solicited it by taking a public stand on the matter.
%> --
%> Rajeev Raman
%
%   I disagree.  I think the recepient has every right to publish the
%   e-mail communication he receives. S/he becomes the owner of it once
%   it takes up space on his/her disk.  This rule is especially useful
%   when the sender of the communication is a stranger,  or when
%   the mail is unpleasant (Reference: the mail from A. J. to Asjeet
%   Lamba some time back).  Further, taking a public stand on a matter
%   does not mean that e-mail is solicited (sending e-mail is actually
%   an invasion of one's privacy, in my opinion).
%
%   - Maruti   bmaruti@wpi.wpi.edu

--
Ronald Khoo @ The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ
Phone:	+44 -1- 863 1191			Domain:	ronald@ibmpcug.CO.UK

mes@gmdzi.UUCP (Bernd Messenbrink) (06/19/89)

In article <10925@ibmpcug.UUCP>, ronald@ibmpcug.UUCP (Ronald Khoo) writes:
> In article <2750@wpi.wpi.edu> bmaruti@wpi.wpi.edu (B Maruti) writes:
> %In article <1989Jun13.175158.15024@cs.rochester.edu>, raman@cs.rochester.edu (Rajeev Raman) writes:
> %> "THOU SHALT NOT POST PRIVATE COMMUNICATIONS WITHOUT PERMISSION*"
> %> * - Unless unsolicited.. in this case, Mr. Bhatia, I think you (indirectly)
> %> solicited it by taking a public stand on the matter.
> %> --
> %> Rajeev Raman
> %   I disagree.  I think the recepient has every right to publish the
> %   e-mail communication he receives. S/he becomes the owner of it once
> %   it takes up space on his/her disk.  This rule is especially useful
> %   when the sender of the communication is a stranger,  or when
> %   the mail is unpleasant (Reference: the mail from A. J. to Asjeet
> %   Lamba some time back).
> %   - Maruti   bmaruti@wpi.wpi.edu
> Ronald Khoo @ The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ
> Phone:	+44 -1- 863 1191		Domain:	ronald@ibmpcug.CO.UK
> Path:	...!ukc!slxsys!ibmpcug!ronald    	Fax:    +44 -1- 863 6095
>               My Opinions? Sell 'em if you can. See if I care!
IMHM thou should be able to mail private. If you don't want to be read of any
person, make your own crypt, but I do not know, how long it takes and your mail
isn' t private because of enough people who will crack your crypt because of
paranoia or just for fun. I hope that there is an internal honor to do it not,
and for the writer to write only real private things by private mail, in the
other cases you will be decrypted and flamed by others. I have not enouhg time
to do this.
               Bernd
===mes@gmdzi!unido!mcvax!..==mes@gmdzi!unido!mcvax!..==mes@gmdzi!unido!mcvax!..
          GMD - Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik u. Datenverarbeitung
          German National Research Center For Information Science
Postfach 1240       Institut fuer Systemtechnik       mes@gmdzi.UUCP (prefered)
Schloss Birlinhoven     privat: Bernd Messenbrink     mes@zi.gmd.dbp.de
Institut F2G2                   Grossenbuschstr. 16   GSTMES@DBNGMD21.BITNET
5205 Sankt Augustin 1           5205 St. Augustin 2        +-----------------+
voice:+49 2241 14-2427          voice:+49 2241 342171      | place for rent  |
fax:  +49 2241 14-2889          300 BD 8/1/no within 10 min|                 |
F.R. Germany                    also F.R.G.                |                 |

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (06/20/89)

The Golden Rule applies to posting private email without permission.
Post unto others as you would have them post unto you.  If you post
private email, you are not only behaving Evilly and Rudely by net
standards, you are also hurting yourself.  No one will post their
private thoughts or information to you any more if you prove you are
willing to violate such confidences on a whim.
--
You may not redistribute this article for profit without written permission.