[news.misc] Patrick Townson vs. In Moderation Network

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (07/07/89)

In <8888@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>Completely false! TELECOM Digest subscribers get every letter I get unless
>the person writing says it is not for publication. Exceptions are ...

This has to be a record:  a direct contradiction within such a few
number of words.

Supose I were to tell my secretary "please read this digest and clip
out the interesting things for me to read."  Would that be okay?

Suppose I were to make Geoff's company my secretary?

What's the big deal?
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (07/09/89)

In article <1892@prune.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>In article <487@logicon.arpa> Makey@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) writes:
>>So?  TELECOM Digest subscribers only get what *you* want them to see.

>In <8888@chinet.chi.il.us> patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) writes:
>>Completely false! TELECOM Digest subscribers get every letter I get unless
>>the person writing says it is not for publication. Exceptions are ...

>This has to be a record:  a direct contradiction within such a few
>number of words.

What is it you find so fascinating about the statement 'Everything is
printed, with these two exceptions'? It is not a contradiction when one
states 'everything except a and b'. It would be a contradiction if all I
received were three items and I rejected two of them. How about if I
actually get 10-15 items per day, seven days per week and over a week's
time I reject one or two items? If that causes me to be contradictory
then please excuse me for breathing and all that.

>Supose I were to tell my secretary "please read this digest and clip
>out the interesting things for me to read."  Would that be okay?
>Suppose I were to make Geoff's company my secretary?
>What's the big deal?

Do you read my actual responses (given three times on this now) or do you
ask your secretary to glance through and when she can't find a reply
then you presuppose what it was I said and make up a rebuttal accordingly?

For the (hopefully) last time: Get your secretary, or Geoff Goodfellow or
someone to read this to you --

  I do not care -- I don't give an iota, or a fractional part of an iota --
*what* you do with *your personal copy* of the Digest except (there I go
contradicting myself again - [smirk]) I do not think you have the right to
re-sell it in whole or in part to someone else. You certainly have the
right to edit your copy or have someone edit your copy for you. You do not
have the right to a copy of the Digest for editing for the purpose of
re-sale or commercial distribution.

Do you want to receive the Digest? Good! I will add YOU to the list. Then
YOU may send your copy to Goodfellow, or your secretary or whoever for
whatever you want them to do with it and they can return it to you in the
format your little heart desires.

But I will NOT send it to Goodfellow (using him just as an example) for
the purpose of editing and resale to *his* subscription list. I do not
send the Digest to places where it is intended for commercial use. I
*do in fact* write telecommunications articles and send them to commercial
publishers. But Usenet and Internet are not commercial publishers.

I will even send *your personal copy* (are you reading this carefully? I
said *your personal copy*) direct to Goodfellow if you wish. But YOU
must write me and ask for a subscription and indicate "Send my copy of
the Digest to Mr. Goodfellow, because I am paying him to edit it for
me" or words to that effect. If 100 people write and ask for copies via
Goodfellow, then he will get 100 copies of each issue, but with a
prohibition attached that he is to only supply them to people who have
asked me to route through him, and that I do not want to have him
duplicate the copy and supply it to any other list of people where they
have not asked me to deliver a *free, personal copy*.

Actually, I would send him ONE copy, with *my distribution list via his
site* for editing and distribution to *those names only*, once those people
had asked me to deliver in that fashion. And lest the man like to play games,
certain things in his copy would enable me to see later where all it had
been.

Shall I set up this whole message in a file and play it out each time
someone asks the same questions over again?

--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / ptownson@bu-cs.bu.edu / US Mail: 60690-1570