[news.misc] Changes to Hints on writing style for Usenet

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (09/12/88)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to this
group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.  New users may ignore
this posting -- it is intended to enable experienced users
to track changes to the regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/style.n	Sun Apr  3 18:44:21 1988
--- src/style.n	Sun Sep 11 21:13:56 1988
***************
*** 1,4
  Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers
! Expires: 40days

--- 1,4 -----
  Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers
! Expires: 90days

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (10/11/88)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to this
group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.  New users may ignore
this posting -- it is intended to enable experienced users
to track changes to the regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/style.n	Sun Sep 11 21:17:52 1988
--- src/style.n	Mon Oct 10 21:53:38 1988
***************
*** 5,7
! [Most recent change: 11 March 1988 by vax135!booth (David Booth)]

--- 5,7 -----
! [Most recent change: 10 October 1988 by lmg@hoqaz.att.com (Larry Geary)]

***************
*** 16,18
  The above references are both excellent books.  Cunningham is a
! standard in Tech writing classes and won an award for the best tech
  writing book from the Association for Teaching of Technical Writing.  I

--- 16,18 -----
  The above references are both excellent books.  Cunningham is a
! standard in tech writing classes and won an award for the best tech
  writing book from the Association for Teaching of Technical Writing.  I
***************
*** 22,24

! This is a "long article". The rest of it is simply a list of pointers.

--- 22,24 -----

! This is a "long article." The rest of it is simply a list of pointers.

***************
*** 34,35
   * White space is not wasted space -- it greatly improves clarity.

--- 34,37 -----
   * White space is not wasted space -- it greatly improves clarity.
+    A blank line only adds a byte to the article length, so don't be
+    stingy if it will help make your meaning clearer.

***************
*** 55,58

!  * When being especially "flame-boyant", I find it helpful to go the bathroom
!    before actually sending.  Then, I often change the tone considerably.

--- 57,62 -----

!  * When being especially "flame-boyant", I find it helpful to go to the bathroom
!    before actually sending.  Then, I often change the tone considerably. :-)
!    Take a break before posting something in anger or that might hurt or
!    anger others.

***************
*** 59,61
   * Subject lines should be used very carefully.  How much time have you
!    wasted reading articles with a misleading subject line?

--- 63,68 -----
   * Subject lines should be used very carefully.  How much time have you
!    wasted reading articles with a misleading subject line?  The "Subject:"
!    header line can be edited in all the various posting programs
!    (as can the "Distribution:", "Newsgroups:" and "Followup-To:" header
!    lines).

***************
*** 73,74
     intended.

--- 80,86 -----
     intended.
+
+  * Make an effort to spell words correctly.  Obvious misspellings are
+    jarring and distract the reader.  Every news posting program allows
+    you to edit your article before posting, and most systems have some
+    kind of spelling checker program that you can use on your article.

--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,
Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
Internet:  spaf@cs.purdue.edu	uucp:	...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!spaf

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (01/30/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/style.n	Mon Oct 10 21:55:20 1988
--- src/style.n	Mon Jan 30 01:32:43 1989
***************
*** 5,7
! [Most recent change: 10 October 1988 by lmg@hoqaz.att.com (Larry Geary)]

--- 5,7 -----
! [Most recent change: 29 January 1989 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

***************
*** 57,59

!  * When being especially "flame-boyant", I find it helpful to go to the bathroom
     before actually sending.  Then, I often change the tone considerably. :-)

--- 57,59 -----

!  * When being especially "flame-buoyant", I find it helpful to go to the bathroom

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (03/07/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/style.n	Mon Jan 30 02:01:42 1989
--- src/style.n	Mon Mar  6 22:56:58 1989
***************

! [Most recent change: 6 March 1989 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

***************

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (04/09/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** old/style.n	Mon Mar  6 23:45:35 1989
--- src/style.n	Sat Apr  8 16:43:38 1989
***************
*** 1,3
  Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers
! Expires: 90days

--- 1,3 -----
  Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers
! Expires: +90days
--

spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) (07/22/89)

This posting contains a listing of differences between the version of
the article (referenced in the "Subject:" line) just posted to the
news.announce.newusers group, and the version posted a few weeks ago.
It is intended to enable experienced users to track changes to the
regularly posted Usenet documents.

*** /tmp/fo16181	Fri Jul 21 23:12:46 1989
--- /tmp/fo26181	Fri Jul 21 23:12:46 1989
*** 94
  There's a lot more to say, but....

  There's a lot more to say, but....
+