[news.misc] IN MODERATION NETWORK

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/12/89)

According to romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey):
>Give it a rest, folks. It's not your articles that Anterior is
>selling, it's the services of an editor who will weed out the cruft
>and summarize high-flammage, low-content discussions.

I understand the concept of selling an editing service.  I simply don't
believe that the In Moderation people can charge for forwarding articles
that the recipient doesn't already have and call that an "editing service".
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey) (06/13/89)

In article <1989Jun12.100804.24166@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>I understand the concept of selling an editing service.  I simply don't
>believe that the In Moderation people can charge for forwarding articles
>that the recipient doesn't already have and call that an "editing service".

I think the value in the service is in the messages *not* forwarded -
the volume reduced, the summarizations, whatever - the weeds that are
pruned out rather than the messages that remain.

Technically, it's an awful lot easier to forward the articles than it
is to get rid of them once they're there. I suppose that IN MODERATION
could forge cancel messages for the articles which get edited down;
this seems a lot easier way.

If the business venture succeeds, then obviously there's a demand for
it, whatever we all consider the company to be charging for. If it
fails, then there wasn't. I'm interested in seeing the results.

I agree with Joe Buck's observation about why there are more things
like Geoff's and Brad's ventures happening: people view netnews as a
resource, but there's so much raw stuff that it's becoming impossible
to use. I mean, look, rec.arts.comics is an extremely civilized news
group with (generally) very little flaming, and I can barely weed out
the stuff I'm really interested in out of the daily volume. There's
been a lot of talk about software solutions to the signal-to-noise
ration problems of the USENET for years; they haven't materialized. So
IN MODERATION provides one solution and ClariNet provides a whole new
information flow.
--
			- john romkey
USENET/UUCP: romkey@asylum.sf.ca.us	Internet: romkey@ftp.com

msb@ho5cad.att.com (Mike Balenger) (06/13/89)

In article <1989Jun12.100804.24166@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey):
> >Give it a rest, folks. It's not your articles that Anterior is
> >selling, it's the services of an editor who will weed out the cruft
> >and summarize high-flammage, low-content discussions.
>  I understand the concept of selling an editing service.  I simply don't
>  believe that the In Moderation people can charge for forwarding articles
>  that the recipient doesn't already have and call that an "editing service".
> --
> You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
> Chip Salzenberg         |       <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
> A T Engineering         |       Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

It's not what they PASS that's the issue.  It's what they remove or
summarize that's important.

<cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (201) 949-8789
<cute disclaimer>       AT&T Bell Labs
                        Room 1L-405
msb@ho5cad.att.com      Crawfords Corner Road
att!ho5cad!msb          Holmdel, NJ   07733

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (06/15/89)

According to msb@ho5cad.att.com (Mike Balenger):
>According to chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg):
>>I understand the concept of selling an editing service.  I simply don't
>>believe that the In Moderation people can charge for forwarding articles
>>that the recipient doesn't already have and call that an "editing service".
>
>It's not what they PASS that's the issue.  It's what they remove or
>summarize that's important.

For the point of view of Anterior and their hypothetical customers, it is
true that the removal and/or summary of articles is the thing of prime
importance.  It is, from their viewpoint, a commercial service that is
worth money (they hope!).

However, I see things somewhat differently:

    Usenet articles which originate in the U.S.A and, I believe, Canada,
	are >automatically< copyrighted by their authors.
	(Berne Convention and all that.)
    IMN passes Usenet articles to their customers who have not already
        received those articles.
    IMN does not make any agreement with the authors of the articles for
	redistribution rights or royalties.
    IMN expects and receives payment from their customers.

What I, as a Usenet author, see here is IMN selling my copyrighted postings
for profit without my consent.  I cannot put up with such behavior.

Further, in my opinion, the only way IMN will make money is to limit its
customers from redistributing articles received via IMN.  I do not believe
that IMN can legally restrict redistribution of articles which are
copyrighted by others!

IMN is Evil and Rude and possibly illegal.  I say:  Boycott IMN.
--

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (06/15/89)

msb@ho5cad.att.com (Mike Balenger) writes:

>> According to romkey@asylum.SF.CA.US (John Romkey):

>> >Give it a rest, folks. It's not your articles that Anterior is
>> >selling, it's the services of an editor who will weed out the cruft
>> >and summarize high-flammage, low-content discussions.

>It's not what they PASS that's the issue.  It's what they remove or
>summarize that's important.

I think that's an important part of the issue. Not only inappropriate and
unapproved capitalization upon the efforts of others, but inappropriate
and unapproved filtering of relevant news. I don't trust editors. That's
why I read the USENET and listen to international radio broadcasts, and I
doubt I'm alone in my habits.

><cute quote>            Michael S. Balenger             (201) 949-8789

-- richard

--
 *    "We must hang together, gentlemen ... else, we shall most assuredly     *
 *     hang separately."         Benjamin Franklin, 1776                      *

cliff@ficc.uu.net (cliff click) (06/16/89)

In article <1989Jun14.172942.23300@ateng.com>, chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> Further, in my opinion, the only way IMN will make money is to limit its
> customers from redistributing articles received via IMN.  I do not believe
> that IMN can legally restrict redistribution of articles which are
> copyrighted by others!

I agree; however if others pay IMN for this service that's their business.
In other words, I can pay IMN for a better feed, but IMN can't stop me
from sending this feed out to my friends - because IMN can't copyright
this feed.  However, IMN can refuse to sell me this feed unless I agree
to NOT give this feed to my friends.  I can always refuse to do business
with IMN, but if I want the feed I have to get it from IMN, or somebody
that's breaking their contract with IMN.

I would futher hazard that IMN cannot hack the "contents" of an article
(removing the gratuitous flame, leaving the meat) because of the risks
of presenting the author out of context, and thus libeling (slandering?)
him.  If this argument is carried out ad absurdo (sic) then IMN cannot
present an authors article without presenting all the articles he was
responding too - IMN can't present me saying "That's silly" without also
presenting the rest of the "conversation".

> IMN is Evil and Rude and possibly illegal.  I say:  Boycott IMN.

I say the legalities of IMN are *very* questionable, and laysuits could
run around for years - worse these lawsuits could point out the basic
fallicy of trying to copyright *anything* anybody says - buts another
can of worms.

--
Cliff Click, Software Contractor at Large
Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!cliff, cliff@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5368 (w).

wyle@inf.ethz.ch (Mitchell Wyle) (06/16/89)

"deliver Author" <chip@ateng.com> (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>IMN is Evil and Rude and possibly illegal.  I say:  Boycott IMN.

Yo Chip,  Lighten up, guy.  Lay back,  hack code, stay cool, go with the
flow.  EVIL?  Come on.  It might be rude or illegal, but evil?

I kinda liked the idea, but don't know if I would pay for such a
service.

I look at IMN as an electronic newspaper; either it's worth the cost to
subscribe to a newspaper or it isn't.  Each person must decide for
himself.  Those people who steal neighbors' newspapers are committing
the same (minor) crime as those who let neighbor sites see their pay
feed(s).

Take it easy Chip.  Life is wonderful!  If you're still angry, just run
this program on your machine and hit the beach.

main() { while (1) fork (); }
--
-Mitchell F. Wyle
Institut fuer Informationssysteme         wyle@inf.ethz.ch

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/17/89)

In article <4576@ficc.uu.net> cliff@ficc.uu.net (cliff click) writes:
: In other words, I can pay IMN for a better feed, but IMN can't stop me
: from sending this feed out to my friends - because IMN can't copyright
: this feed.

That is incorrect. They may claim a compilation copyright. That does
not prohibit anyone from distributing the individual articles (e.g.
Usenet); it most certainly would prohibit someone from simply
redistributing the feed.

---
bill@twwells.com

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/19/89)

In article <12250@well.UUCP> Jef Poskanzer <pokey@well.sf.ca.us> writes:
: In the referenced message, bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) wrote:
: }That is incorrect. They may claim a compilation copyright. That does
: }not prohibit anyone from distributing the individual articles (e.g.
: }Usenet); it most certainly would prohibit someone from simply
: }redistributing the feed.
:
: So what's the difference?

Like this: if I take a standard newsfeed, their compilation copyright
is irrelevant.

If I provide a service like theirs, but with my own people doing the
selection and editing, and without reference to theirs, their
compilation copyright is irrelevant.

If I provide some service that uses their material as input, but use
the material *only* to guide my own actions, and not as direct input,
their compliation copyright is irrelevant.

If I provide some service that uses their material as input and is
essentially a mechanical transformation (whether done by people or
machines is irrelevant) of their material, their compilation copyright
should permit them to sue my pants off.

There are grey areas, but this is how I've heard it from the legal
gurus around where I work.

Basically, what the compilation copyright protects is the
intellectual effort invested in forming the compilation. One can use
the results indirectly, as one could use the information in a book,
but copying, cutting, or rearranging it and then distributing the
result would be a violation of the compilation copyright.

---
bill@twwells.com

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (07/23/89)

In the referenced message, bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) wrote:
}That is incorrect. They may claim a compilation copyright. That does
}not prohibit anyone from distributing the individual articles (e.g.
}Usenet); it most certainly would prohibit someone from simply
}redistributing the feed.

So what's the difference?
---
Jef

    Jef Poskanzer  pokey@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!pokey
"...an experienced, industrious, ambitious, and often quite often picturesque
                             liar." -- Mark Twain