[news.misc] What different non-Unix USENET links are out there?

Is anybody keeping a repository of the different types of non-unix
USENET links that have been created?

How are people on VMS machines, IBM Mainframes and other systems
getting, reading and forwarding their USENET info?

I know on BITNET that many people just use mailing lists involving
list servers -- is this the only way, or have some people put up
full usenet type feeders and readers?

I know that many VMS users are actually also serviced by things like
arpanet mailing lists.  What else are they doing?  I know of one project
that has put UUCP onto VMS -- are people using this, or other transport
mechanisms.

And there has been recent discussion of the various packages that link
of MS-DOS, Macs and other PCs to the net.

So what I'm looking for is a file that answers the question, "How do I
hook up an X to the net?"

If there isn't such a file, I will collect responses and summarize to
the net.  The result could be a good regular posting or FTPable file for
people who get asked this question.

I suppose a detailed answer to the Unix question is also in order.
We now have 3 main transport/database systems (B news, C news, NN and
TMN coming soon.)  I am told notes is on the decline.   Plus we have NNTP
and NNTPxmit.  On the reader side with have readnews, vnews, rn (rrn), nn,
gnus, notes, TMN coming, plus others I have heard marginally of.  Then
there's filter software like NewsClip and the "secretary" program.

I would prefer response from those directly involved with packages to
make this list, otherwise I might get swamped!

An example:
	Program: B news
	Type: News database with readers
	Operating System: Unix
	Transport Mechanisms Used: uucp, nntp, others
	Where to get it: ftp from uunet.uu.net and countless other sites
	Maintained by: rick@uunet.uu.net
	Licencing: freeware
	Comments: Most commonly used basic news system
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd.  --  Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

GA.JRG@forsythe.stanford.edu (June Genis) (07/27/89)

In article <3705@looking.on.ca>,
brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>list servers -- is this the only way, or have some people put up
>full usenet type feeders and readers?

There are two USENET type programs available for IBM VM systems.
One from Irwin Tillman (IRWIN@PUCC.BITNET) at Princeton and the
other from Bill Verity at Penn State (WHV@PSUVM.BITNET).  I believe
that both have the ability to feed things back into USENET as well
as to pick up and display information from it, but as we're not a VM
shop I don't have any direct experience.

What we've done here in our homebrew WYLBUR environment is to build
a WYLBUR front-end to replace RN.  The actual files though are
sitting out on an attached UNIX system.  Although we have a good set
of basic navigation tools, including the ability to mail yourself a
copy and manage the heck out of your own copy, we don't have all the
bells and whistles of RN but we haven't had requests to add most of
them either.  The think the two most common requests for additional
features are to be able to track a subject thread and for KILL
capability.

/June

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (07/27/89)

In <4062@lindy.Stanford.EDU>,
  June Genis <GA.JRG@forsythe.stanford.edu> writes:
> There are two USENET type programs available for IBM VM systems.
> One from Irwin Tillman (IRWIN@PUCC.BITNET) at Princeton and the
> other from Bill Verity at Penn State (WHV@PSUVM.BITNET).

I'm on the Unix end (psuvax1.cs.psu.edu) of a feed to PSUVM.BITNET.
We send news batches back and forth over a RSCS link with only minor
fuss.  (For those interested, the PSUVM NetNews software has just
recently undergone a major revision.)

The minor fuss is,
 1) PSUVM doesn't get byte counts in news batches correct (yet), so I
 use a terribly inefficient filter that splits on "#! rnews" lines;
 2) RSCS truncates long (>132 char) lines, unless you pack things in
 NetData format, PSUVM sends NetData to me fine, I'm not quite set up
 to do that yet;
 3) who knows what happens to your tabs and trailing blank characters.
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

flee@shire.cs.psu.edu (Felix Lee) (07/27/89)

In <3705@looking.on.ca>,
  Brad Templeton <brad@looking.on.ca> writes:
> list servers -- is this the only way, or have some people put up
> full usenet type feeders and readers?

The news software developed on PSUVM.BITNET gateways Bitnet LISTSERVs.
E.g., the VIRUS-L list gets transmitted to us as bit.listserv.virus-l.
"us" is psuvax1.cs.psu.edu, which is a Sun 4/280 running C News.

The bit.listserv groups have very limited distribution; as far as I
know, only here at Penn State University, and elsewhere at University
of Kentucky.  (But the LISTSERVs themselves are accessible anywhere on
Bitnet.)
--
Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

ckd@bucsb.UUCP (Christopher Davis) (07/29/89)

-
-The news software developed on PSUVM.BITNET gateways Bitnet LISTSERVs.
-E.g., the VIRUS-L list gets transmitted to us as bit.listserv.virus-l.
-"us" is psuvax1.cs.psu.edu, which is a Sun 4/280 running C News.
-
-The bit.listserv groups have very limited distribution; as far as I
-know, only here at Penn State University, and elsewhere at University
-of Kentucky.  (But the LISTSERVs themselves are accessible anywhere on
-Bitnet.)

We get 'em at Boston U, and I think Harvard carries them, too.  (I have an
account on the BITNET machine, BUACCA, but rn beats the mail-reading
"software" (ha!) we have on the mainframe...

-Felix Lee	flee@shire.cs.psu.edu	*!psuvax1!flee

--
  /\  | /  |\  @bu-pub.bu.edu <preferred>  | Christopher K. Davis, BU SMG '90
 /    |/   | \ %bu-pub.bu.edu@bu-it.bu.edu |      uses standardDisclaimer;