[news.misc] UUCP BBS gateways / non-Unix access info needed

ugwayne@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Wayne Nelligan) (08/14/89)

   (I couldn't think of another place to put this request, so here it is...)

   Basically, I am looking for any information regarding non-Unix access to
UUCP, mainly for people that don't have accounts on Unix machines and are more
apt to call mainly bulletin boards.  I have heard of several such services,
one being something called Portal, and I think the other was called
Crossroads, or something like that.

   Basically, they allow anyone that has a modem and a terminal or computer
to subscribe to them, and then access UUCP.

   If anyone has any information on these or similar services, I would really
appreciate some e-mail from you with some information on how to contact
and/or subscribe to these services.  (Please send responses via e-mail... I
don't get the time to read the newsgroups that often...)

   Thanks in advance...

Wayne Nelligan             --            SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science
.{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugwayne
CSNET:  ugwayne@Buffalo.CSNET        ARPANET: ugwayne%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET: ugwayne@sunybcs.BITNET

markw@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Mark H. Weber) (08/15/89)

ugwayne@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Wayne Nelligan) writes:

>    Basically, I am looking for any information regarding non-Unix access to
> UUCP, mainly for people that don't have accounts on Unix machines and are
> more apt to call mainly bulletin boards.

    Take a look at the NIXPUB listing, a list of public-access sites which is
posted periodically in pubnet.nixpub, comp.misc, and alt.bbs.

--
  Mark H. Weber ( markw@GVL.Unisys.COM [128.126.220.102] or
		  ...!psuvax1!burdvax!gvlv2!markw or