[news.misc] KILL files

leech@zeta.cs.unc.edu (Jonathan Leech) (01/07/89)

    It would be nice if rn could apply kill files in 'batch mode' (run
rn so it would remove all the articles matching your kill files from
.newsrc, *without* human intervention). Has anyone thought about
doing this (is there some convenient way to do it now?) I looked at
the rn manual and saw no obvious way.
--
    Jon Leech (leech@cs.unc.edu)    __@/
    "Enhanced 386... Runs Unit, Zenix, 0s/s & DOS..."

msb@sq.sq.com (Mark Brader) (08/26/89)

Wayne Mesard, in an excellent introduction to KILL files in the rn news-
reader, writes in news.newusers.questions:

> The general format of each line in a KILL file is:
>        /pattern/modifiers:command
> ... In KILL files the command is usually just "j" which junks the article.

There is actually one important addition to note here, which is that
the syntax also allows the ":command" part to be repeated.  In particular,
you can say something like

	/spoiler/:=:j

which will display all subject lines containing the word "spoiler" and then
junk each of the articles.  For instance, you might see:

	20955	The Abyss (spoilers)  Junked
	20956	Re: The Abyss (spoilers)  Junked
	20958	The Abyss (non-spoiler review)  Junked
	20960	Re: The Abyss (spoilers)  Junked
	20963	How to write a review (was: Re: The Abyss (spoilers))  Junked

This will tell you that your KILL file had a "false hit" on 20958, and
perhaps also 20963, and you actually do want to read those articles (which,
since we're talking about rn, you can do by typing the numbers explicitly
one by one, or by doing "20958,20963m" and then beginning reading as usual.

There are some newsgroups where I read so few articles that I actually have

	/./:=:j

in my KILL file, so I still see what's there but never have to explicitly
kill it.  (Of course the "." matches any non-null subject.)

Oh yes.  rn is actually not strict about that ":" before each command,
and there are many cases where you can leave it out.  As this is NOT
a documented feature (as far as I know), it's safer to leave it in.

This article is cross-posted, with followups directed to news.newusers.-
questions.  This article is in the public domain.
--
Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto	      "Suspicion breeds confidence."
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com					  -- BRAZIL