[news.misc] Gatewaying between mailing list and usenet?

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (09/12/89)

We have a local (campus-wide) mailing list that we'd like to gateway
to the usenet (for local distribution only).  The list is unmoderated,
and we simply need to take all the new articles on the usenet side &
mail them to the rest of the list and take incoming mail and post it
on the usenet.  We don't need anything fancy.

It should be pretty easy, I think, but I'm not sure how exactly to
proceed.  I would appreciate any pointers in how to set this up on our
system.  We're running B-news and NNTP.  Thanks in advance.
--
David Bernholdt			bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold@ufpine.bitnet

bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) (09/13/89)

In article <663@orange19.qtp.ufl.edu> I wrote:

>We have a local (campus-wide) mailing list that we'd like to gateway
>to the usenet (for local distribution only).

To post incoming mail to usenet, add an alias for sendmail which says
something like:

post-mailing-list:	"|/usr/lib/news/recnews news.group.name"

and add "post-mailing-list" to the subscription list for the mailing
list.  Recnews is part of the standard B-news release and there are
both man page and helpful comments in the code.

To mail incoming usenet articles, add a line like this to your news
sys file:

This has a few more problems associated with it: The news header
appears as part of the body of the message, and the mail program can't
make any use of the information therein.  Thus, no "Subject:" for the
mail message unless you set one in the sys file.  Also, the "From:" is
probably not quite what you want.

Some improvements could probably be made to the usenet->mail
transformation:  Perhaps feeding it to sendmail with a -f flag to set
the "From:" name.  It may also be necessary to move around or modify
(?) the headers so that sendmail will pick up on them.  (I tried
simply feeding the article to sendmail unmodified and still treated
the whole thing as text -- I haven't done anything fancy yet).

My thanks to kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen), Rich Salz
<rsalz@bbn.com>, and liz@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Elizabeth Zaenger) for
their help with this.
--

kim@kannel.lut.fi (Kimmo Suominen) (09/14/89)

   From: bernhold@qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt)
   Date: 13 Sep 89 16:28:37 GMT

   Some improvements could probably be made to the usenet->mail
   transformation:  Perhaps feeding it to sendmail with a -f flag to set
   the "From:" name.  It may also be necessary to move around or modify
   (?) the headers so that sendmail will pick up on them.  (I tried
   simply feeding the article to sendmail unmodified and still treated
   the whole thing as text -- I haven't done anything fancy yet).

You need to be a trusted user for sendmail and feed the article (with a To:
line) to 'sendmail -t'.

I had this problem at first, but then I tried it as a trusted user (defined
with T in sendmail.cf) and it worked fine.

Kim

--
 ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
( Kimmo Suominen             Electronic Mail on Internet:  kim@kannel.lut.fi )

per@erix.ericsson.se (Per Hedeland) (09/17/89)

In article <671@orange19.qtp.ufl.edu> bernhold@orange19 (David E. Bernholdt)
writes:

>Recnews is part of the standard B-news release and there are
>both man page and helpful comments in the code.

We use recnews here too, but I think it has a couple of problems:
- it throws away the original Message-ID, causing inews to generate a local
  one - not very nice if you want to reply to an "article"
- it sometimes gets confused about the sender address, which ends up like
  From: \@local.host.address. I haven't had opportunity to identify the exact
  circumstances under which that happens. It may be fixed by patch #17, though
  - we're currently at #14...

Improvements to recnews or alternative suggestions are welcome...

>Some improvements could probably be made to the usenet->mail
>transformation:  Perhaps feeding it to sendmail with a -f flag to set
>the "From:" name.  It may also be necessary to move around or modify
>(?) the headers so that sendmail will pick up on them.  (I tried
>simply feeding the article to sendmail unmodified and still treated
>the whole thing as text -- I haven't done anything fancy yet).

I've had zero problems with using

- headers are in the right place, the From: is untouched, but normally the
  Sender: and From_/Return-Path: will be set to news or somesuch, as expected.

--Per Hedeland
per@erix.ericsson.se  or
per%erix.ericsson.se@uunet.uu.net  or