[news.misc] JvNC and NSF

saroff@jvncf.csc.org (Steve Saroff lac00001) (10/23/89)

To :	JvNC Users
>From :	Doyle Knight
Date:   19 October 1989
Re :	JvNC Renewal

	As many of you are already aware, the NSF announced on Monday that NSF
funding for the JvNC would cease in September 1990, the end of the current five
year grant period.  The reasons cited by Tom Weber, Director, Division of
Advanced Scientific Computing, were the following (my "editorial" comments are
shown in parentheses) :

	1.  Uniqueness

	The uniqueness of the JvNC was the ETA10, according to Weber.  He did
	not believe that NSF needed another Cray Center.

	(The ETA10 is a machine.  The JvNC is a national center.  The
	identification of any NSF Center solely with a vendor ignores
	value of the Center.)

	2.  Capacity

	The NSF does not need the capacity of five supercomputer centers,
	according to Weber.  Four centers is adequate.

	(This is the first time I have heard NSF argue that the supercomputer
	centers program should be downsized.  All data indicates that an
	expansion of the NSF program is needed.)

	3.  Cost Sharing by the Consortium

	The decision by a majority of the non-New Jersey institutions not to
	commit to upgrade the Cray Y-MP was the third reason for the
	termination, according to Weber.

	(Interestingly, it was not the amount of cost sharing, but the source.
	No other NSF center was held to this standard).

	I strongly encourage you to contact Dr. Tom Weber expressing your
strong objection to this decision.  His address is :

	Dr. Tom Weber
	Director, Division of Advanced Scientific Computing
	National Science Foundation
	1800 G Street NW
	Washington, DC  20550
	202-357-9776
	email : tweber@note.nsf.gov (Internet)

Copies of your letter or electronic mail message should also be sent to the
following persons :

	Mr. Erich Bloch
	Director, National Science Foundation
	email : ebloch@note.nsf.gov

	Dr. William Wulf
	Assistant Director, CISE
	email : wwulf@note.nsf.gov

	Dr. Melvyn Ciment
	Division of Advanced Scientific Computing
	email : mciment@note.nsf.gov

	Mr. Larry Brandt
	Division of Advanced Scientific Computing
	email : lbrandt@note.nsf.gov

	You should feel free to communicate concerns you have to your Senators
and Representatives in Congress.  I would appreciate receiving copies of any
messages you might send.

	We are currently focusing on two efforts.  First, we are seeking
reconsideration of the NSF decision.  Second, we are actively seeking other
sources of funding for FY91 and thereafter.  Naturally, it is too early for
me to assess these opportunities precisely.  I will keep you informed of
our progress.

	My principal concerns are the JvNC staff and users.  I shall keep you
fully informed of any changes in our program plan regarding the supercomputer
systems, operating systems, software, etc. at the JvNC.  I have reopened
negotiations with Control Data Corporation regarding the dates for removal of
the CYBER 205 and ETA10 supercomputers.  It is my objective to retain both of
the CYBER 205s and one (or both) of the ETA10s for a sufficient period of time
to permit a smooth transition to a next generation supercomputer.

	The JvNCNET Network is funded by a separate multi-year grant from the
NSF Division of Networking, Communications, Research and Infrastructure, and
network charges paid by JvNCNET members.  The NSF grant to the JvNCNET is not
affected by the announcement regarding the JvNC Supercomputer Center.  Our
program plan for the JvNCNET continues as before.

	Thank you again for your support of the JvNC.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (10/25/89)

In article <473@jvncf.csc.org> saroff@jvncf.csc.org (Steve Saroff lac00001) writes:

>	As many of you are already aware, the NSF announced on Monday that NSF
>funding for the JvNC would cease in September 1990, the end of the current five
>year grant period.  The reasons cited by Tom Weber, Director, Division of
>
>	I strongly encourage you to contact Dr. Tom Weber expressing your
>strong objection to this decision.  His address is :
>
>	Dr. Tom Weber
>	Director, Division of Advanced Scientific Computing
>	National Science Foundation
>	1800 G Street NW
>	Washington, DC  20550

Geez, they're always flaming on Weber or another...

--
                  Surgical tools for mutant women
richard@gryphon.COM  decwrl!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.NASA.GOV