Is any system other than ucbvax providing email to usenet interfaces to
the public?  I know ucbvax indicates that their service may be terminated
unannounced at any time in the future - I am just wondering about alternatives
if this occurs.
Some users , from Compuserve for instance, have no other means of posting
to the net.

pvo3366@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (10/23/89)

In article <"891020081648.75046.606.CHD38-1"@CompuServe.COM> 75046.606@CompuServe.COM (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>Is any system other than ucbvax providing email to usenet interfaces to
>the public?  I know ucbvax indicates that their service may be terminated
>unannounced at any time in the future - I am just wondering about alternatives
>if this occurs.
>Some users , from Compuserve for instance, have no other means of posting
>to the net.

Anyone wanting to provide this service could do so trivially with the
mail2news perl script currently taking up disk space on your system.

See:
Newsgroups: alt.sources
Subject: generic mail-to-news interface
Date: 16 Oct 89 13:24:34 GMT
Sender: news@convex.UUCP

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

bluefire@well.UUCP (Bob Jacobson) (10/23/89)

The WELL in Sausolito (near SF) maintains such a gateway.  It is an
inexpensive, excellent conferencing system that many maintain is
what Usenet could evolve into with a lot of work.  You can reach it
via 1200 baud modem at 415-332-6106, although there are additional
ports with up to 9.6K capacity.

tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (10/27/89)

In article <"891020081648.75046.606.CHD38-1"@CompuServe.COM> 75046.606@CompuServe.COM (Larry W. Virden) writes:
|Is any system other than ucbvax providing email to usenet interfaces to
|the public?  I know ucbvax indicates that their service may be terminated
|unannounced at any time in the future - I am just wondering about alternatives
|if this occurs.
|Some users , from Compuserve for instance, have no other means of posting
|to the net.

Several other systems have the ucbvax email-to-and-from-USENET
software up, and would step into the breach, if ucbvax stopped
providing the service.

I wouldn't worry much about the interface (more commonly known as a
gateway) disappearing suddenly.  The folks who run ucbvax are
responsible and competent.

WARNING: Be very careful when setting up an interface between USENET
and an emailing list to insure there is only one such gateway.  Make
sure there aren't any cyclic loops either!  (E.g. USENET <-> Internet
E-mail <-> BITNET <-> USENET).  The software running at ucbvax was
specifically designed to handle such gateways and is superior for this
purpose then: B news recnews, a quick sh script hack, or the perl
script I saw on USENET recently.

enjoy -len