[news.misc] Some observations on this whole mess.

gcf@panix.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (11/16/89)

In article <6938@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
)In article <373@panix.UUCP> gcf@panix.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
)> price@mpx0.lanl.gov (The Quantum Mechanic) writes:
)> )   *Why* is sci.* distributed more widely than rec.*?
)
)> Because sci means science, and science is serious and real and
)> people make money off it...
)
)i.e., these groups are oriented towards activities that make money
)for their readers. I'm not sure I agree entirely, but since that's
)your definition I'll accept it.
)
)> What we should be trying to do is sneak as much good stuff into
)> these places under sci.* as possible -- not going along with their
)> absurd concepts of value.
)
)So you're saying your own definition of the hierarchy is absurd. I think
)you're a little confused.

You know, one of the things we need on the net is a symbol for
irony.  I have a problem with ":-)" because I don't smile when
I'm being ironic.  Besides, it looks stupid, which is striking
a little bit close to home.

I'm open to suggestions.  How about "[*IRONY*]" or maybe for the
scientifically sophisticated, "[Fe]"?

--
*   Gordon Fitch || gcf@panix | uunet!hombre!mydog!gcf   *

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (11/16/89)

In article <527@panix.UUCP>, gcf@panix.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:
> In article <6938@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> )> What we should be trying to do is sneak as much good stuff into
> )> these places under sci.* as possible -- not going along with their
> )> absurd concepts of value.
> )
> )So you're saying your own definition of the hierarchy is absurd. I think
> )you're a little confused.
>
> You know, one of the things we need on the net is a symbol for
> irony.  I have a problem with ":-)" because I don't smile when
> I'm being ironic.  Besides, it looks stupid, which is striking
> a little bit close to home.
>
> I'm open to suggestions.  How about "[*IRONY*]" or maybe for the
> scientifically sophisticated, "[Fe]"?

I think we do need such a symbol, Gordon, because it surely wasn't
clear from your posting that you were being ironic ... thus,
Peter's reply made sense.

You can be in charge of the new [Fe] symbol.  Perhaps you'll
call yourself "The Ferrous Wheel".

Jeff Daiell

Q. What's the difference between a liberal and a conservative?
A. A liberal thinks the poor are incapable of success.  A
   conservative thinks they're unworthy of it.  (And both
   are happy to have them *stay* poor!)

--
         "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good ...
        Oh, Lord,  please don't let me be misunderstood!"

                              -- The Animals