[news.misc] how do I establish an internet site?

jay@laic.UUCP (Jay Weber) (11/22/89)

The place I work is not an internet site (just usenet) but is considering
becoming one.  Could someone fill me in on what is necessary, i.e.
hardware/software/administration?  Thanks -- reply to above address or
jay@icsi.berkeley.edu

Jay Weber
Lockheed AI Center

freds@legs.legs (Fred Sieg) (11/23/89)

in article <752@laic.UUCP>, jay@laic.UUCP (Jay Weber) says:

> The place I work is not an internet site (just usenet) but is considering
> becoming one.  Could someone fill me in on what is necessary, i.e.
> hardware/software/administration?  Thanks --

I, too, would like this information.

Thanks ---

Fred

--
Fred Sieg - M/S 2-84			uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!legs!freds
AST Research Inc.			fax: (714) 476-3879

jay@laic.UUCP (Jay Weber) (11/28/89)

In article <239@legs.legs> freds@legs.legs (Fred Sieg) writes:
>in article <752@laic.UUCP>, jay@laic.UUCP (Jay Weber) says:
>>

>> The place I work is not an internet site (just usenet) but is considering
>> becoming one.  Could someone fill me in on what is necessary, i.e.
>> hardware/software/administration?  Thanks --
>
>I, too, would like this information.

Several people have asked for a summary, so I'll post what I have found
to the net.  Thanks to all those that responded with information.  The
best source of information seems to be the following symbolic link:

***********
>From news.announce.newusers:

Newsgroups: news.admin,news.announce.newusers
Expires: +90days

[Most recent change: 16 Oct 1989 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]

This is a periodic posting on how to get information about the
National Science Foundation (NSF) Internet.

The NSFNET Network Service Center (NNSC) makes current documentation
on the NSFNET available via a mail server and by anonymous ftp.

Because the contents of the documents are constantly being updated,
this posting only describes how to obtain a current copy rather than
providing the data directly.

1) Using anonymous FTP:
   host:             SH.CS.NET
   username:         anonymous
   password:         guest
   directory:        nsfnet		(i.e. type:  cd nsfnet )

The files "help-ftp", "help.1" and "nsfnet-help" will provide you with
information to get started.

2) Using the mail server: Send mail to the address shown below (either
   nnsc.nsf.net or sh.cs.net) and leave the "Subject;" line blank.
   The first line of the message body should contain a "Request:"
   line, followed by a "Topic:" line, as described below.  You do not
   need a "Subject:" line, but be sure your mailer puts out a valid
   "From:" line that the server can respond to!

To obtain general information on the CSNET INFO SERVER send the
following message to the mail-server "info-server@nnsc.nsf.net" or
"info-server@sh.cs.net":

	Request: Info
	Topic: Help

To obtain current contact information on the NSFNET and its affiliated
regional networks, send the following mail message to the mail-server:
"info-server@nnsc.nsf.net":

	Request: NSFNET
	Topic:   NNSC

To obtain information on how to connect to the Internet through the
NSFNET or an NSF-affiliated network, send the following mail message
to the mail-server "info-server@nnsc.nsf.net":

	Request: NSFNET
	Topic:   CONNECTING

To obtain information on the documents currently available on the
NSFNET from the info-server, send the following mail message to the
mail server "info-server@nnsc.nsf.net":

	Request: NSFNET
	Topic:   NSFNET-HELP

If you need to contact the people at the NNSC directly, you can either
send mail or call them.  It would be a good idea to read the NSFNET
documents first though.

I retrieved the documents above, and they contain names and addresses
of regional network and nsfnet contacts.  The next step seems to be to
reach your regional contact.

Jay Weber
Lockheed AI Center
jay@icsi.berkeley.edu