[news.misc] USENET on CD-ROM?

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (11/27/89)

I heard an interesting rumor recently.

It seems that someone has an archive of all the USENET postings
since the beginning on CD-ROM.

Does anyone know anything about this?  I've always wanted to know
when I made my first posting (late in 1979?) and how stupid it was.

--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

In article <1989Nov27.014652.12009@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>It seems that someone has an archive of all the USENET postings
>since the beginning on CD-ROM.

There are folks who are *talking* about doing this -- they've been in
touch with several people (including me) who have archives on less
convenient media -- but as far as I know it hasn't yet been done.

(Before anyone asks, we have archives going back to spring 1981, but we
do *not* provide a retrieval service -- the archives are on magtape,
lots of magtapes in fact, and retrieval is not at all convenient.)
--
That's not a joke, that's      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
NASA.  -Nick Szabo             | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tim@Data-IO.COM (The Daemon's Slave) (11/28/89)

You can get it from ...

	Young Minds Inc.
	308 W. State St.
	Suite 2B
	Redlands, CA     92373
	(714) 335-1350
--
<tim@Data-IO.COM>            ..uunet            Tim Rosmus (Sys Admin)
..sun!fluke-----------\           |               Data I/O Corporation

pozar@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Pozar) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov27.014652.12009@smsc.sony.com> dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) writes:
>I heard an interesting rumor recently.
>
>It seems that someone has an archive of all the USENET postings
>since the beginning on CD-ROM.
>
>Does anyone know anything about this?  I've always wanted to know
>when I made my first posting (late in 1979?) and how stupid it was.

    Well, Apple put out a test CD-ROM with USENET postings from
the *.mac newsgroups....

	  Tim

--
Tim Pozar    Try also...