[news.misc] GEnie->Usenet may already be here

dveditz@dbase.UUCP (Dan Veditz) (01/10/90)

There may already be a GEnie->Usenet gateway.  I found the following in
the most recent batch of "Top 25..." articles in news.lists:

> # of Articles KBytes  User
>      116      164.9   forthnet@willett.UUCP  (ForthNet articles from GEnie)
> 		           100% comp.lang.forth

I looks like the forth group is already enjoying GEnie articles.  Can anyone
confirm that this *is* what it looks like?  Is it with official GEnie
permission, or is it some guy with a PC feeding it to USENET on the sly?

-Dan
uunet!ashtate!dveditz
dveditz@ashtate.A-T.com

As I mentioned before, these are articles from GEnie transferred to
comp.lang.forth. And the quality of these articles tends to make me
reluctant to encourage a general 2-way GEnie/Usenet link. I think
this sort of link should be either moderated, or restricted to a new
genie.* hierarchy. The same is true of other traditional large-scale
BBS systems.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (01/11/90)

Once an email gateway is in place, GEnie users can join mailing
lists (as CIS users can do now) which in turn can be gatewayed to
newsgroups.  This may be all that's needed.  The usual argument
for news over mailing lists is that the flood algorithm's more
efficient over a distributed net, but with single point gateways
and a black-box distribution within the commercial service, a
mailing list is just as efficient.
--
"We must never forget that if the war in Vietnam    \ $   Tom Neff
is lost... the right of free speech will be          X    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) (01/11/90)

From article <15086@bfmny0.UU.NET>, by tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff):
> Once an email gateway is in place, GEnie users can join mailing
> lists (as CIS users can do now) which in turn can be gatewayed to
> newsgroups.  This may be all that's needed.

Hmmm. I can't imagine why I'd pay to stay online reading Info-Mac
in email when I could get to the rest of the BBS proper with a few
keystrokes. In fact, after a while, I'd unsubscribe, because the mail
volume would be too large. And who wants to post to two places to
contribute and/or request assistance?

> The usual argument for news over mailing lists is that the flood
> algorithm's more efficient over a distributed net, but with single
> point gateways and a black-box distribution within the commercial
> service, a mailing list is just as efficient.

OK, I'll asmit this is over my head, but I know I can point out that
what I said isn't the usual argument! What a relief. :-)
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (01/11/90)

In article <357@dbase.UUCP> dveditz@dbase.A-T.com (Dan Veditz) writes:
>There may already be a GEnie->Usenet gateway.  I found the following in
>the most recent batch of "Top 25..." articles in news.lists:

>I looks like the forth group is already enjoying GEnie articles.  Can anyone
>confirm that this *is* what it looks like?  Is it with official GEnie
>permission, or is it some guy with a PC feeding it to USENET on the sly?

It's "some guy with a PC".  He logs on to GEnie and captures everything,
then weeds out some of the chit-chat and posts it.

There are also several "Forth Net" BBSes which exchange messages between
themselves and GEnie.  I don't know how that works.  Try sending mail
to forthnet@willet or (gasp!) reading comp.lang.forth to see the contact
address of the guy doing the posting.  He's explained it on c.l.f a time or
two...

BTW, the postings have not been universally welcomed on c.l.f; it has
increased the volume significantly and a good portion is fluf (but whats
new?).  GEnie has had c.l.f imported for quite some time now.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)