[news.misc] Copyrights on Usenet Articles

hamrick@convex.COM (Ed Hamrick) (12/22/89)

In article <45061@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) writes:

>This article, excluding quoted text, is Copyright 1989 Chris Davis.
>Redistribution for profit is prohibited.  This copyright statement shall
>not be construed to limit non-profit distribution, including but not
>limited to UUNET's news forwarding services.  This article may not be
>gatewayed to GEnie without a license fee paid to the author.

I've been noticing similar "Copyright" notices in numerous usenet articles
over the past few months, most of which seem to be in response to the use
of usenet articles "for profit" by various companies, especially GEnie.

There's also been quite a debate about the "rightness/wrongness" of GEnie
having a one-way link from usenet.  I'd like to address the issue of who
"owns" or "controls" the articles that are sent out over usenet, and not
address the issue of the one-way GEnie link.

There appears to be a consensus that the only legal mechanism that can be
used to control the use of usenet articles is the Copyright laws.  I've
never seen any assertions that any other law or regulation applies to
these articles.

There appears to be a commonly held belief that an author of a usenet
article can control the "right to copy an article" by asserting that
an article is "Copyright 1989 John Doe", and that the article may be
copied/redistributed under certain limited circumstances.  On the
surface, this seems to be a perfectly acceptable practice, and is used
in many computer journals (see ACM journals as an example).

There are several problems I see in trying to extend this practice to
articles deliberately transmitted to usenet:

1) Anything printed with copyrighted materials is generally sold,
   not given away.  It seems doubtful that a judge would award damages
   under the Copyright laws to someone who gives away tens of thousands
   of copies of their works to the public (and then claims economic
   damage from someone making a few hundred more copies and selling them).

2) Someone who transmits an article to usenet knows that everything
   they send is automatically sent to any site connected to usenet.
   It seems doubtful that damages would be awarded to someone who
   claims economic damage from something they themselves caused (the
   transmission of their copyrighted materials to all connected
   usenet sites).

The following is an example of why I believe that copyright notices
embedded within usenet articles aren't worth the paper they're printed on:

This article, excluding quoted text, is Copyright 1989 Ed Hamrick.
Permission to copy and redistribute this article is granted provided
it is printed on yellow paper, stored on 160 KByte floppy diskettes,
or displayed on DEC VT102 terminals.

I believe that this somewhat absurd paragraph (apologies to Christopher Davis)
illustrates that there is not an unlimited right to assert rights under
the Copyright laws for automatically distributed usenet messages.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (01/06/90)

The news.misc article quoted below illustrates several common beliefs
about copyright law; I address the legal issues. Disclaimer: I'm not a
lawyer, and I'm not familiar with any state laws outside New York.

In article <4198@convex.UUCP> hamrick@convex.COM (Ed Hamrick) writes:
> In article <45061@bu-cs.BU.EDU> ckd@bu-pub.bu.edu (Christopher Davis) writes:
> >This article, excluding quoted text, is Copyright 1989 Chris Davis.
> >Redistribution for profit is prohibited.  This copyright statement shall
> >not be construed to limit non-profit distribution, including but not
> >limited to UUNET's news forwarding services.  This article may not be
> >gatewayed to GEnie without a license fee paid to the author.
>
> I've been noticing similar "Copyright" notices in numerous usenet articles
  [ ... ]

> There appears to be a consensus that the only legal mechanism that can be
> used to control the use of usenet articles is the Copyright laws.  I've
> never seen any assertions that any other law or regulation applies to
> these articles.

Copyright law is the most obvious protection for a published work. Trade
secret law cannot apply. Patent law doesn't apply to the *expression* of
inventions, only their production. Trademark law is never a major issue.

Copyrights are designed to preserve distribution rights, and that's what
they do.

> There appears to be a commonly held belief that an author of a usenet
> article can control the "right to copy an article" by asserting that
> an article is "Copyright 1989 John Doe",

Yes. ``All rights reserved'' is necessary for some countries. A circled
c is customary, though I don't know any countries that require it if
the word Copyright is present. Anyway, the owner of a copyright most
certainly does control the legal right to copy an article.

> and that the article may be
> copied/redistributed under certain limited circumstances.

Yes. This addition is a copyright limitation; in general, someone can
limit or completely give up his right to X by declaring the limitation.
Sometimes limitations are restricted by further laws: for example, a
minor might not be able to refuse medical treatment just on religious
grounds. Copyrights are not life-and-death issues where the government
sees a need to butt in, so you can limit copyrights any way you want.

Unpublished works are automatically copyrighted. Published works enter
the public domain (i.e., lose their copyright) if they do not carry a
copyright notice. In countries subscribing to the Berne Convention,
even published works are automatically subject to copyright, so that
the author must explicitly declare a work as public domain (and then
distribute it!) if he wants to give up his rights. For the moment,
those countries respect United States copyrights, so there's little
immediate pressure for us to switch.

Note that even in the United States, any indication of authorship
(a signature, for example, or even my typed ``---Dan'') is usually
construed as a declaration of copyright. However, damages for
infringement will be higher if an explicit copyright notice appears.

> On the
> surface, this seems to be a perfectly acceptable practice, and is used
> in many computer journals (see ACM journals as an example).

Yes. It works quite well and is easy to deal with in court.

> There are several problems I see in trying to extend this practice to
> articles deliberately transmitted to usenet:
>
> 1) Anything printed with copyrighted materials is generally sold,
>    not given away.  It seems doubtful that a judge would award damages
>    under the Copyright laws to someone who gives away tens of thousands
>    of copies of their works to the public (and then claims economic
>    damage from someone making a few hundred more copies and selling them).

You are correct in bringing up enforcement as a separate issue. 17 USC
105 (I think), the Copyright Act of 1976, classifies certain copying as
``fair use,'' so that it does not constitute infringement. It doesn't
give explicit rules to decide what constitutes fair use. However, it
does say that such a decision must consider several issues: the nature
of the work (you can't make any money by copyrighting a document
consisting of the word ``the''), the amount copied, the effect of
copying upon the original work and its distribution, the use of the
copies (profit versus nonprofit), etc. By now there's enough case law
that it's easy to tell when you're safe; the government publishes a
booklet with certain magic numbers below which you couldn't possibly
be taken to court.

I doubt that any judge would consider Genie's distribution of a
copyrighted Usenet article to be fair use, because Genie is making
a large number of copies for profit. On the other hand, the damages
would probably be limited to a small multiple of the money Genie
makes from those articles directly. (If they take in X dollars from
each of M subscribers each year, and there are N articles each year,
then I wouldn't be surprised at damages of XM/N.)

In copyright infringement, as in the rest of civil law, the most
important issue is almost always money.

> 2) Someone who transmits an article to usenet knows that everything
>    they send is automatically sent to any site connected to usenet.
>    It seems doubtful that damages would be awarded to someone who
>    claims economic damage from something they themselves caused (the
>    transmission of their copyrighted materials to all connected
>    usenet sites).

Nobody's claiming damages for USENET distribution, which is intentional.
It's the GENIE distribution that's infringing.

Here's a parody of that argument:

  2) Someone who publishes a book with A-W knows that everything
     he writes is automatically sent to any bookstore serving A-W.
     It seems doubtful that damages would be awarded to someone who
     claims economic damage from something he himself had caused.

True, but what about the bookstore that makes money behind the author's
back by making more copies and selling them in its town?

> The following is an example of why I believe that copyright notices
> embedded within usenet articles aren't worth the paper they're printed on:
>
> This article, excluding quoted text, is Copyright 1989 Ed Hamrick.
> Permission to copy and redistribute this article is granted provided
> it is printed on yellow paper, stored on 160 KByte floppy diskettes,
> or displayed on DEC VT102 terminals.

Fine. (You don't need the ``excluding quoted text'' part.) You're
asserting your copyright, and giving a rather ridiculous limitation that
amounts to no limitation at all.

> I believe that this somewhat absurd paragraph (apologies to Christopher Davis)
> illustrates that there is not an unlimited right to assert rights under
> the Copyright laws for automatically distributed usenet messages.

Of course there is. Your absurd copyright notice is perfectly legal and
possibly enforceable. If GENIE makes money by selling copies of your
article, and you can prove that GENIE did so (which is easy), then you
could be awarded damages. (In practice, as a mere distribution medium,
they'd only be liable for contributory infringment; they'd still have to
pay.) Unauthorized profit from a copyrighted article is very dangerous.

---Dan

magik@sorinc.UUCP (Darrin A. Hyrup) (01/07/90)

In article <600@stealth.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu writes:
>The news.misc article quoted below illustrates several common beliefs
>about copyright law; I address the legal issues. Disclaimer: I'm not a
>lawyer, and I'm not familiar with any state laws outside New York.
>
>> There appears to be a commonly held belief that an author of a usenet
>> article can control the "right to copy an article" by asserting that
>> an article is "Copyright 1989 John Doe",
>
>Yes. ``All rights reserved'' is necessary for some countries. A circled
>c is customary, though I don't know any countries that require it if
>the word Copyright is present. Anyway, the owner of a copyright most
>certainly does control the legal right to copy an article.

To begin with, as of last year, much of this is moot, since the U.S.A. is
now a member of the Berne convention, so all works now carry a copyright
regardless of this is stated or not.

But, for formal declarations of copyright, the C in a circle is a synonym
for the word Copyright. The use of (C) or (c) does not qualify as () is not
a circle. In any case there must be either one or the other, and in many
cases, both. It is also proper to use the phrase "All rights reserved" in
order to afford full protection in many countries, (including some in Latin
America/South America).

>> and that the article may be
>> copied/redistributed under certain limited circumstances.
>
>Unpublished works are automatically copyrighted. Published works enter
>the public domain (i.e., lose their copyright) if they do not carry a
>copyright notice. In countries subscribing to the Berne Convention,
>even published works are automatically subject to copyright, so that
>the author must explicitly declare a work as public domain (and then
>distribute it!) if he wants to give up his rights. For the moment,
>those countries respect United States copyrights, so there's little
>immediate pressure for us to switch.

We are now members of the Berne Convention, and so the formal declaration
of copyright is no longer neccessary. However, that only applies to those
countries that are also members of the Berne Convention, so you are always
better off using "Copyright 1990 by Joe Smith. All Rights Reserved." in
anything that may have international access. (Like, say, Usenet).

>> On the
>> surface, this seems to be a perfectly acceptable practice, and is used
>> in many computer journals (see ACM journals as an example).
>
>Yes. It works quite well and is easy to deal with in court.

Correct under most conditions.

>> There are several problems I see in trying to extend this practice to
>> articles deliberately transmitted to usenet:
>>
>> 1) Anything printed with copyrighted materials is generally sold,
>>    not given away.  It seems doubtful that a judge would award damages
>>    under the Copyright laws to someone who gives away tens of thousands
>>    of copies of their works to the public (and then claims economic
>>    damage from someone making a few hundred more copies and selling them).

He is right here. Or at least in part. It is commonly known that the entity
known as "Usenet" is a public-domain, albiet loosly connected organization
of "subscribers" much like a bulletin board. It is also known (or should
be) by everyone on the net that any article you submit may be read by
[hundreds of] thousands of people all over the world, and that you are not
expecting compensation for anything submitted to this network. Knowing
that, and also knowing that it is not feasible, as a manpower or economics
issue for every site to screen every message for possible distribution
restrictions in this public-access system, it would follow (and likely be
held in court) that your act of submitting the article places it in the
public domain at least as far as distribution goes, as you are purposefully
making the article available for unrestricted public access all over the
world. Any distribution restrictions could not be justified in that case,
and so you would not be able to enforce any claims of misuse by usenet
sites recieving your article(s). Of course, if an individual were to take
your message and sell it verbatim to a magazine or such for a profit to
him/herself, then you may have a case, although it still would be hard to
win, especially if they changed the text in any form, and you still have to
prove it. Remember, you cannot copyright an idea, only a particular
implementation of an idea.

>I doubt that any judge would consider Genie's distribution of a
>copyrighted Usenet article to be fair use, because Genie is making
>a large number of copies for profit. On the other hand, the damages
>would probably be limited to a small multiple of the money Genie
>makes from those articles directly. (If they take in X dollars from
>each of M subscribers each year, and there are N articles each year,
>then I wouldn't be surprised at damages of XM/N.)

I believe you are in error here. Assuming that GEnie eventually becomes a
real usenet site (allowing both sending and recieving of messages, although
there is no law or rule that requires or even assumes that all usenet sites
must allow 2-way traffic), it would then become nothing more than one of
many usenet sites that charge their users access to their network, and use
of facilities. They are not specifically charging their clients a surcharge
to read your article over and above that what they would pay to access the
network itself, nor are they attempting to sell the rights to your
articles. They would be doing what many other usenet sites do, providing a
service to the public, from which they are recieving compensation. There is
nothing unfair about that. And, they are in no way making unfair use of the
articles submitted to the network, more than are any other usenet site. It
would also follow that even an explicit distribution statement (such as
referred to at the beginning of this article) would not be legally binding,
considering the fact that it would be impossible for every message in every
newsgroup to be scanned by every usenet site in the world for possible
distribution restrictions. That goes for GEnie and every other usenet site
out there. A judge would likely suggest that if you do not want users of
for-profit sites to have access to your message, that you should not submit
it to the network at all.

>In copyright infringement, as in the rest of civil law, the most
>important issue is almost always money.
>
>> 2) Someone who transmits an article to usenet knows that everything
>>    they send is automatically sent to any site connected to usenet.
>>    It seems doubtful that damages would be awarded to someone who
>>    claims economic damage from something they themselves caused (the
>>    transmission of their copyrighted materials to all connected
>>    usenet sites).

He's right in theory. But thats not a good explanation.

>Nobody's claiming damages for USENET distribution, which is intentional.
>It's the GENIE distribution that's infringing.

That is not at all the case. Usenet is a loose term. It refers to any site
that recieves or submits usenet messages. GEnie wouldn't be excluded from
that label if they carried news in some way. Even via gateway.

>> The following is an example of why I believe that copyright notices
>> embedded within usenet articles aren't worth the paper they're printed on:
>>
>> This article, excluding quoted text, is Copyright 1989 Ed Hamrick.
>> Permission to copy and redistribute this article is granted provided
>> it is printed on yellow paper, stored on 160 KByte floppy diskettes,
>> or displayed on DEC VT102 terminals.
>
>Fine. (You don't need the ``excluding quoted text'' part.) You're
>asserting your copyright, and giving a rather ridiculous limitation that
>amounts to no limitation at all.

As does any restrictions on articles submitted to the network. They would
not be binding.

>> I believe that this somewhat absurd paragraph (apologies to Christopher Davis)
>> illustrates that there is not an unlimited right to assert rights under
>> the Copyright laws for automatically distributed usenet messages.
>
>Of course there is. Your absurd copyright notice is perfectly legal and
>possibly enforceable. If GENIE makes money by selling copies of your
>article, and you can prove that GENIE did so (which is easy), then you
>could be awarded damages. (In practice, as a mere distribution medium,
>they'd only be liable for contributory infringment; they'd still have to
>pay.) Unauthorized profit from a copyrighted article is very dangerous.

This is not a normal medium. It is not reasonable to suggest that any
distribution restrictions could ever apply in usenet. Even with specific
copyright and distribution notices, due to the nature of the net and how it
operates. There is no way that sites could "censor" the news on a global
basis, and so it could not be enforced. If you can prove that GEnie (or any
other usenet site or individual for that matter -- lets not pick on GEnie
constantly) is making money specifically from your article(s), and not for
providing their clients with desired services, (only one of which may be
access to usenet messages), then you may have a case. You do have a
copyright and do indeed own your works, but by submitting them to the net,
you have basically made them public-domain; at least in a distribution
sense. If an entity or company sells your works in verbatim, and in a form
in which they were not originally intended to be distributed (global access
through the many usenet sites, BBSs and other news-gatewaying services out
there), and makes money specifically off of the sale, and without your
consent or knowledge, then you may have a case. But still, it would be
tough to prove misuse.

>---Dan

I am not an attorney (yet), but I am a law major and am fairly familiar
with the subject of computer law and how it applies to copyright law. I
also have a few friends who are practicing attorneys with whom I have had
discussions with regarding this subject over the last few months, and the
ideas I submit are our general consensus (in my own words of course).

The truth is, that usenet (or any large scale information sharing networks
or large scale BBSs) are as yet mostly untouched in as far as copyright law
decisions go, and any statements regarding how the courts would look upon
all this is yet to be seen, but I base much of my discussion on current law
and on decisions that I am aware of that apply in some way. Until such time
as a precident is made, the subject will undoubtedly continue to rage.

Note: My site doesn't recieve misc.legal, so I will be unable to see any
followups made there (which is why I followed up here and suggest others to
do so as well since this group probably has a larger subscription base
anyway).
--
Darrin A. Hyrup              // AMIGA Enthusiast         rencon!esfenn!dah
magik@sorinc.PacBell.COM   \X/ & Software Developer   pacbell!sorinc!magik

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (01/09/90)

I find it interesting that in the interminable USENET->GEnie discussions:

1) The principle of innocent-until-proven-guilty has apparently been
suspended,
with GEnie being accused of everything from copyright breach to "RAPE of
USENET".

2) No one *EVER* bothered to ask GEnie what their policy was. Wouldn't it
be a big surprise if GEnie offered to waive compilation copyright totally
on the USENET area, told everyone they WANT 2-way notes a lot, and want a
good email link? I know for a fact that well before I ever started any of
this work GEnie was talking about it.

3) People have seen fit to jump into a war without finding out if there
was even an enemy. Interestingly, the same "depersonalization" that takes
place in propaganda against an enemy in war is going on here. Gee, GEnie
will do this, do that, how will we defend our poor selves? The original
"RAPE of USENET" note that kicked all t this off was based literally off
someone who knew a friend that I'd mentioned a little bit of possible GEnie
links to -- and who flew off the handle without bothering to check any facts.

	I personally believe the base note was among the worst I have ever
read in my network experience since 1976. To me the power and responsibility
must balance; to have the power to post notes across the world should
carry responsibility to at least bother to check facts, to not accuse wildly,
and when the facts *do* become known, to apologize with at LEAST as much
fervor as the original damaging note.

	I dial into WELL and PORTAL, pay them what they ask, and am pleased
to be able to. I have no problem with them charging for access to the net.
I would also have no problem with GEnie charging for 2-way access to the net,
no copyright hassles, and email, same as WELL/PORTAL -- and folks, that is
what's wanted. Look, if anything, blame me for presenting it wrong.
But for people on PORTAL signons to flame GEnie is ludicrous, in my opinion.
However, in their defense, they didn't get a fair rendition of the facts.

	In summary, I have strong reason to believe (e.g., I've talked to
them) that GEnie wants and has always wanted a 2-way link, done in
a responsible way as not to stress the net, email, and no copyright
hassles. I hope to post an "official" note from GEnie saying so soon,
but it's a fact of life, like breathing, that corporate lawyers have to okay
such stuff.

	I understand, now, that USENET has had problems with other systems.
Okay. But don't arbitrarily dump GEnie in with them. Give them at least
some sort of fair hearing; at least listen to their side before discussing
how to sue them. You have *not* been given even slightly fair facts about
what GEnie thinks, what the plans were, or what happened -- just a literally
alt.flame note about an experiment that really touched some raw nerves.

	Enough, please! Even Noriega gets a trial!

	-- Dave Small / Gadgets by Small

rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) (01/09/90)

In article <9001070301.AA10109@sorinc.UUCP> pacbell.PacBell.COM!sorinc!magik writes:
>To begin with, as of last year, much of this is moot, since the U.S.A. is
>now a member of the Berne convention, so all works now carry a copyright
>regardless of this is stated or not.

Not necessarily, remember the US only adopted part of the Berne
Convention rules, not the entire package.  To be safe, writers et
al need to continue copyrighting everything they produce.

>held in court) that your act of submitting the article places it in the
>public domain at least as far as distribution goes, as you are purposefully
>making the article available for unrestricted public access all over the
>world.

The act of posting an article to a public network or BBS is what
puts it the public domain, not the distribution of the article.

>out there. A judge would likely suggest that if you do not want users of
>for-profit sites to have access to your message, that you should not submit
>it to the network at all.

Indeed.  And if you're at all concerned about keeping the rights to
something in particular that you have written, then don't post it.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/11/90)

Followups to misc.legal and news.MISC, not ADMIN.

In article <7686@stealth.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@stealth.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>Most of what Barry says is at least technically correct, but some of it
>is a bit misleading. Everyone should know the informal legal principles
>of Covering Your Ass and Making It Clear To The Other Guy.
>
>If you use Copr. or a circled c instead of Copyright, then your notice
>will still be valid here; but there are countries where neither Copr nor
>a circled c is sufficient. So always use Copyright.

If you remembered this, your memory is faulty. If a lawyer told you
this, get a new lawyer. You got it backwards. The ``circle with
a c in it'' is internationally recognized. The english word ``Copyright''
is not recognized in all countries, as is ``Copr.''

And stop crashing phoenix.

In article <10907@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
>In article <9001070301.AA10109@sorinc.UUCP> pacbell.PacBell.COM!sorinc!magik writes:
>
>>held in court) that your act of submitting the article places it in the
>>public domain at least as far as distribution goes, as you are purposefully
>>making the article available for unrestricted public access all over the
>>world.
>
>The act of posting an article to a public network or BBS is what
>puts it the public domain, not the distribution of the article.

I was rather shocked when I read this, so I called Trish. Yes, she
did talk to a lawyer specializing in computer law, and yes, anything
you post to a BBS or to USENET, IRREGARDLESS OF ANY COPYRIGHT
NOTICES YOU HAVE, is now in the public domain. If you want to
maintain a copyright, don't post it.

You have to make a reasonable effort as controlling the
distribution of your copyrighted material. Letting 30,000
machines all over the world copy and forward your copyrighted
material can hardly be construed as a good faith effort at
controlling distribution.

Ther ramifications of this on things like OtherRealms are left
as an exercise for the reader. Somebody might want to point
this out to Chuq.

It was the opinion of this (computer) lawyer that the following
things were invalid:

1) The compilatin copyright on Brads Jokebook.
2) Compuserves compilation copyright.
3) GEnie's compilaiton copyright.

Merely collecting material does not give you a compilation copyright.
You need to add to it or change it in a not insignificant manner
(usually taken to be 30%)

In article <24551@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
[...]
>It was the opinion of this (computer) lawyer that the following
>things were invalid:
>
>1) The compilatin copyright on Brads Jokebook.
>2) Compuserves compilation copyright.
>3) GEnie's compilaiton copyright.
>
>Merely collecting material does not give you a compilation copyright.
>You need to add to it or change it in a not insignificant manner
>(usually taken to be 30%)

The last sentence is FALSE. Compilations don't involver "additions" or
"changes" of any proportion, but "methods and logic of organization":

"DEPOSIT REQUIREMENTS FOR DATABASES and OTHER COMPILATIONS

A database is a collection of preexisting information arranged in a
particular way. [...] Computer databases qualify as an original work
of authorship for copyright purposes when the METHOD and LOGIC used
to organize them is original. The particular compilation need not be
sophisticated to be copyrightable. An alphabetical list of all
professional skiers under the age of 35 would qualify."

Attorney M.J. Salone -- How to Copyright Software, Nolo Press

If the lawyer himself told you that "You need to add to it or change it
in a not insignificant manner (usually taken to be 30%)" to a compilation
to make it to qualify for copyright, he doesn't know his business at all.
Better look for another lawyer :-)

-- Marco
P.S.:
It is widely known that Compuserve successfully won a case against a
BBS that reproduced its entire file database (in structure and logic).
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Saligrama Subbarao) (01/11/90)

  Wait a minute -- WHERE does phoenix come in to this???

			-Kartik

--
subbarao@{phoenix,bogey or gauguin}.princeton.edu
"A penny saved is a penny earned -- so a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/12/90)

[there really ought to be a something.copyrights, huh ?]

In article <22225@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <24551@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>
>>Merely collecting material does not give you a compilation copyright.
>>You need to add to it or change it in a not insignificant manner
>>(usually taken to be 30%)
>
>The last sentence is FALSE. Compilations don't involver "additions" or
>"changes" of any proportion, but "methods and logic of organization":

It's hard to make any true appraisel of what I recalled from talking
to trish; what she recalled talking to the lawyer etc.

One could correlate my statement: ``Merely collecting material does not
give you a compilation copyright'' with Marco's statement about
``methods of logic or organization''.

At any rate, it's just one lawyers opinion, and of course no precendent exists.

No of course there is no right answer.

This is why I liked math. When you got an answer you could actually
*check it*, wheras with any other classes it were all shades of grey.

>It is widely known that Compuserve successfully won a case against a
>BBS that reproduced its entire file database (in structure and logic).

I though that never actually went to trial and was settled out
of court.

??

gbc@cahaba.med.unc.edu (Geoff Crooks) (01/12/90)

In article <24551@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>...anything you post to a BBS or to USENET, IRREGARDLESS OF ANY COPYRIGHT
>NOTICES YOU HAVE, is now in the public domain. If you want to
>maintain a copyright, don't post it.

Hmmm... does this mean that the software posted to comp.binaries is placed
automatically in the public domaine?  I don't think so.  If you post an
article to the net, you *are* controlling distribution... to all those
computers which are on the net.  If you copyright an article, you are in
effect saying "this is mine" - read it, but DON'T go publishing it
elsewhere NOT on the net (ie  a newspaper or print magazine).

Disclaimer: no, I'm not a lawyer.  In fact, since what I said is logical,
 it probably has nothing to do with the law at all.

Geoff.
gbc@med.unc.edu

dougm@unix386.Convergent.COM (The Manic Tinker) (01/12/90)

In article <24551@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> In article <10907@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
> >The act of posting an article to a public network or BBS is what
> >puts it the public domain, not the distribution of the article.
>
> I was rather shocked when I read this, so I called Trish. Yes, she
> did talk to a lawyer specializing in computer law, and yes, anything
> you post to a BBS or to USENET, IRREGARDLESS OF ANY COPYRIGHT
> NOTICES YOU HAVE, is now in the public domain. If you want to
> maintain a copyright, don't post it.

This is definitely something that is good to know.  When something goes
into the "public domain," does that mean that *all* of the author's
rights with regard to the publication lapse?  S/He know longer controls
the item in *any* way?  This seems extreme.  An example:

Joe Blow writes a story that he sells to OutThere Magazine for first NA
serial rights.  It gets published in Analog, and after that Joe gets a
request to have the article posted to the net.  Joe says, "Go ahead."
The article is posted.  Later, Monumental wants to buy the movie rights.
Some sharp researcher at Monumental finds out that the story has been posted
to Usenet, is therefore in "the public domain," and doesn't buy the rights,
just runs with it.  From your information above, Monumental would be within
their rights, and ol' Joe would be out of luck.  Right?
--
         Doug Moran          |  I have often felt like a resident of Pompeii
pyramid!ctnews!unix386!dougm |  who has been asked for some humorous comments

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (01/13/90)

>This is definitely something that is good to know.  When something goes
>into the "public domain," does that mean that *all* of the author's
>rights with regard to the publication lapse?  S/He know longer controls
>the item in *any* way?  This seems extreme.  An example:

Yes, that is the definition of public domain. I think what everyone is
really struggling with is whether or not it is really PD.

But if it is PD there's basically no restrictions on its use (the only
hedge there might be some possibility of it being used in a way which
you can argue was libelous or damaging to your reputation etc., that's
independent of all this and is probably always open if you can still
be identified with the work etc.)

>Joe Blow writes a story that he sells to OutThere Magazine for first NA
>serial rights.  It gets published in Analog, and after that Joe gets a
>request to have the article posted to the net.  Joe says, "Go ahead."
>The article is posted.  Later, Monumental wants to buy the movie rights.
>Some sharp researcher at Monumental finds out that the story has been posted
>to Usenet, is therefore in "the public domain," and doesn't buy the rights,
>just runs with it.  From your information above, Monumental would be within
>their rights, and ol' Joe would be out of luck.  Right?

That's a rather complicated example. But then again I'm not as certain
that putting something on USENET automatically protects everyone as
you describe it did the movie maker.

Look, this is law, not mathematics. It can be reinvented by a court
almost every morning by just deciding some new case. At best you have
"strong grounds" and "good arguments" and "worthwhile cases", not
proofs that you're right or wrong.

My gut feeling on your question is that if it was pretty clearly your
work and someone else made a bunch of money on it under some fairly
fuzzy pretense that since it had appeared on a network it was no
longer yours that most any Judge and Jury would side with you. The
matter is quite clear, you did the work, they made money off it,
common practice says you deserve something. In fact, any lawyer worth
2c would be able to settle a case like that for something, probably
less than you hoped, but more than nothing, out of court.

But that's not the answer you were looking for.

There's a fine and confusing line between business and law. Any movie
maker who tried to defend based on your example would probably be
deemed irresponsible to their shareholders to even invest the $15-$20K
it takes to begin a defense when you'd probably settle for about that.

You do understand that litigation is an investment for a corporation,
just like anything else, and a return on investment argument has to be
constructed based on various scenarios?

I do understand the inner longing for a law which is abstract and
rational, but it doesn't exist in this world. It's not even obvious
that it should.

	"Justice has nothing to do with what goes on in a courtroom,
		Justice is what comes out of a courtroom."

			-Clarence Darrow

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade         | bzs@world.std.com
1330 Beacon St, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202 | {xylogics,uunet}world!bzs