[news.misc] rn '=' command

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (01/06/90)

In article <574@sagpd1.UUCP> Monty Saine writes:
>	To the writers of news software in general: is there a reader out there
>    that allows a function like the "=" function but starting at the current
>    article? When there are 200 plus articles it is a pain to have to go back
>    to the beginning each time you want to view the subject line summary.

A weak solution, but: in 'rn', you can specify a range for the '='
command.  If you've scanned articles 500-550, you can use '551-$='.  3
weaknesses: it doesn't pay attention to your 'SUBJLINE' environment
setting; it doesn't do page pauses; and you get to type in the number of
the current message.  It's better than nothing, though.

A friend has some patches to 'rn' which help a bit: they add a new
command which is like '=' but lists only new messages (those that are
not 'Re: something').

You might want to look into 'vnews', whose basic interface is a
full-screen approximation of the rn '=' command.  You pick the messages
you want to read.

Followups directed to news.misc.

Bela Lubkin    * *    //  filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us  CI$: 73047,1112 (slow)
     @       * *     //  belal@sco.com  ..ucbvax!ucscc!{gorn!filbo,sco!belal}
R Pentomino    *   \X/  Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl +408-476-4633 and XBBS +408-476-4945

stant@sundry.UUCP (Stan Tazuma) (01/11/90)

In article <132.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
>In article <574@sagpd1.UUCP> Monty Saine writes:
>>	To the writers of news software in general: is there a reader out there
>>    that allows a function like the "=" function but starting at the current
>>    article? When there are 200 plus articles it is a pain to have to go back
>>    to the beginning each time you want to view the subject line summary.
>
>A weak solution, but: in 'rn', you can specify a range for the '='
>command.  If you've scanned articles 500-550, you can use '551-$='.  3
>weaknesses: it doesn't pay attention to your 'SUBJLINE' environment
>setting; it doesn't do page pauses; and you get to type in the number of
>the current message.  It's better than nothing, though.
>
>A friend has some patches to 'rn' which help a bit: they add a new
>command which is like '=' but lists only new messages (those that are
>not 'Re: something').

I've wanted the same thing for about 2-3 years.  Recently, I decided to fix
rn to do this.  I added a new command (the ' key) which is exactly like the '='
command except that it lists from the "current" article.   "current" means
the last article seen.  The concept of current article already existed within
the rn source.  Because it was there, the fixes were pretty small in number.

Unfortunately, in practice an annoying thing happens with the new command,
if you are also in the habit of using the CTRL/N command, as I am.
CTRL/N searches for follow-ups, and if none are found, then rn goes to
the first article and shows it to you.  While this is reasonable,
it changes the current article to the first article, when you really
want to be left on the last article you were on before you did the CTRL/N.
If rn did this, then my new (') command would make sense even
after CTRL/N searches.  Maybe I'll see about fixing this feature too (don't
have the time right now).

I sent my fixes to Larry Wall a couple months ago, but got no response.
Maybe mail screwed up and he didn't actually see them.  In any case,
my fixes were not part of the series of rn patches (sent not by
Larry Wall, but by Stan Barber) that were recently posted to the net.

If anyone is interested in my fixes (small patches to 3 source files),
send me some mail.  If there's enough interest, I'll forward the responses
to try to convince Larry Wall and Stan Barber to make them official rn patches.

Stan Tazuma
Boeing Computer Services
	stant%sundry@atc.boeing.com
	...uw-beaver!bcsaic!sundry!stant

mackeown@CompSci.Bristol.AC.UK (W. Mackeown) (01/23/90)

In article <38@amenra.sundry.UUCP> stant%sundry@atc.boeing.com (Stan Tazuma) writes:
>I've wanted the same thing for about 2-3 years.  Recently, I decided to fix
>rn to do this.  I added a new command (the ' key) which is exactly like the '='
>command except that it lists from the "current" article.   "current" means

How about '.-$=' in rn ?  It ignores the SUBJLINE environment but at least
it lists the subjects starting from the current article. Interrupts don't
work.

William Mackeown