[news.misc] Good bye from gryphon.com

richardb@cognos.UUCP (Richard Brosseau) (02/02/90)

In article <25460@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
+
+Good bye from gryphon.COM.
+

Who gives a damn, anyway?
--
Help stamp out net news in your lifetime; keep posting flames.
Richard Brosseau Cognos Inc. decvax!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!cognos!richardb

tlimonce@drunivac.drew.edu (02/02/90)

In article <25460@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> Good bye from gryphon.COM.
>
> An unfortunate series of events has caused the need for gryphon.COM to
> go off the air. First and foremost is the death of the founder of Trailing
> Edge Technologies, who often used the accounts of the other users here
> at gryphon. This explains the apparent schitzoid behavour of several
> of our posters, not to mention the inconsistent accuracy of spelling.

A truly funny forgery and a good forgery too!

Strange thing is... I haven't seen any posts from gryphon.com since
this forgery.  Could it be?  Nah.  I guess I just read all the wrong
newsgroups.  :-)

-Tom
---
Tom Limoncelli       The computer industry should spend more time in front of
tlimonce@drew.edu (new)         their computers.  Remember when 'Look & Feel'
tlimonce@drew.Bitnet                      was what you tried to do on a date?
limonce@pilot.njin.net                                                    -Me

stevo@george.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) (02/04/90)

In article <34633.25c98ba2@drunivac.drew.edu> tlimonce@drunivac.drew.edu writes:
>In article <25460@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>> Good bye from gryphon.COM.
>
>A truly funny forgery and a good forgery too!
>
>Strange thing is... I haven't seen any posts from gryphon.com since
>this forgery.  Could it be?  Nah.  I guess I just read all the wrong
>newsgroups.  :-)

That was not a forgery.  It was Sexton humor, but the goodbye part was
for real.  Gryphon is indeed leaving the net.  Gryphon has told all of
it's neighbors to find other news feeds (that has been taken care of).
The users at Gryphon were just unloaded.  If and when they resurface, I
don't know where it will be, but I'm sure we'll all know when they do.
Gryphon was about the only public access usenet site in the LA area.
There are lots of sites able to provide feeds, but not many willing to
provide public user access.

-steve
--
Steve Groom, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA
stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov  {ames,usc}!elroy!stevo

In article <1990Feb3.214920.6564@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> stevo@george.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) writes:
>In article <34633.25c98ba2@drunivac.drew.edu> tlimonce@drunivac.drew.edu writes:
>>In article <25460@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>> Good bye from gryphon.COM.
>>
>>A truly funny forgery and a good forgery too!
>>
>>Strange thing is... I haven't seen any posts from gryphon.com since
>>this forgery.  Could it be?  Nah.  I guess I just read all the wrong
>>newsgroups.  :-)
>
>That was not a forgery.  It was Sexton humor, but the goodbye part was
>for real.  Gryphon is indeed leaving the net.  Gryphon has told all of
>it's neighbors to find other news feeds (that has been taken care of).
>The users at Gryphon were just unloaded.  If and when they resurface, I
>don't know where it will be, but I'm sure we'll all know when they do.
>Gryphon was about the only public access usenet site in the LA area.
>There are lots of sites able to provide feeds, but not many willing to
>provide public user access.

If you can PC Persuit, you can reach us (and lots of others).

We don't mind public-access users.... but it's not a "free for all".  We do
require a donation of sorts (it's not much) for shell/email/normal Netnews
access.

Or you could call one of the other Chicago-area systems; there are several.
Once you have the Pc Persuit, that is.... (if you can stand GTE Telenet!)

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb3.214920.6564@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov> stevo@george.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) writes:
>The users at Gryphon were just unloaded.  If and when they resurface, I
>don't know where it will be, but I'm sure we'll all know when they do.

Most of us who had Usenet access at gryphon also have accounts on
other machines.

readers@cs.vu.nl (The USENET Community) (02/08/90)

In article <11355@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> rissa@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Patricia O Tuama) writes:
>Most of us who had Usenet access at gryphon also have accounts on
>other machines.

Yeah, too bad.
--

allen@sulaco.Sigma.COM (Allen Gwinn) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb5.160949.4523@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>We don't mind public-access users.... but it's not a "free for all".  We do
>require a donation of sorts (it's not much) for shell/email/normal Netnews
>access.

...or you could PC Pursuit to Dallas and call our public access Unix
site FOR FREE!  (sorry Karl)
--
Allen Gwinn  sulaco!allen      DISCLAIMER: The opinions, if any, are my own.

In article <523@sulaco.Sigma.COM> allen@sulaco.sigma.com (Allen Gwinn) writes:
>In article <1990Feb5.160949.4523@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>
>>We don't mind public-access users.... but it's not a "free for all".  We do
>>require a donation of sorts (it's not much) for shell/email/normal Netnews
>>access.
>
>...or you could PC Pursuit to Dallas and call our public access Unix
>site FOR FREE!  (sorry Karl)

Sure.  You can do that here in Chicago too.

The only real differences are in the systems themselves (sorry, couldn't
resist).