[news.misc] He's dead, Jim.

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (02/09/90)

"...bleakness...desolation...plastic forks..."  --Zippy T. Pinhead

I was told about one in misc.jobs.misc early last evening.  I forged a
cancellation against it.  I got in touch with the user and told him to
come to my office this morning.  It wasn't until this morning that I
found the 2nd one, from the same person, the same posting, posted
_separately_ to news.misc.  (He mailed them to the newsgroup names.)

The 2nd one is also in mid-cancellation now.

It will NOT happen again.

(And to think that just yesterday morning, I posted a note in which I
complained about having seen a copy of this very file left in one of
my FTP areas...sigh...)

What a way to start a morning,
--Karl Kleinpaste
Personification of the NNTP Daemon
Ohio State Computer Science

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (02/10/90)

In the referenced article, karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:

>The 2nd one is also in mid-cancellation now.

Thank you.

>It will NOT happen again.

Thank you!

>(And to think that just yesterday morning, I posted a note in which I
>complained about having seen a copy of this very file left in one of
>my FTP areas...sigh...)

Small world.  Someone told me that they had noticed MAKEMONEY.ARC in our
FTP archive.  Sure enough, there it was.  Sort of a pseudo-worm, using
stoopid humans as the transmission medium.  I wonder just how many FTP sites
that allow uploads have this thing now?

Tim
--
Tim Ramsey                         Dept. of Computing and Information Sciences
Internet: tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu  Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506

mvp@v7fs1.UUCP (Mike Van Pelt) (02/10/90)

In article <1990Feb9.191314.2139@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
>Small world.  Someone told me that they had noticed MAKEMONEY.ARC in our
>FTP archive.  Sure enough, there it was.  Sort of a pseudo-worm, using
>stoopid humans as the transmission medium.  I wonder just how many FTP sites
>that allow uploads have this thing now?

Don't look now, but it's infected someone at Rochester, too.
I just found this in comp.mail.misc:

+From: dtb7684@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.T. Bracke)
+Newsgroups: comp.mail.misc
+Subject: ~"Mlmake MONEY fast!!!!
+Date: 8 Feb 90 07:49:49 GMT
+
 [Same stupid, obnoxious chain letter deleted]
--
Mike Van Pelt                          Here lies a Technophobe,
Headland Technology/Video 7               No whimper, no blast.