	Subject: Articles most often cited in comp.all
	From: news@elsie.UUCP (news)
	Newsgroups: news.misc

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (02/20/90)

Due to a bug in my automatic tallying software, an incomplete list was
posted earlier today. The complete version follows in another article.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (02/20/90)

Here are ranks and Message-IDs (and subjects, authors, and
newsgroups if available) of the most useless articles that
were received here in news.all over the last seven days.

Rank ID
   1 <90132@elsie.UUCP>
	From: news@elsie.UUCP (news)
	Newsgroups: news.misc

   2 <CYS14C6xds8@ficc.uu.net>
	Subject: Group creation time; favorable postings
	From: jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell)
	Newsgroups: news.groups

   3 <S8T1XJGxds13@ficc.uu.net>
	Subject: Re: Splitting hairs in (was RE: Splitting Comp.Sys.Mac again)
	From: peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
	Newsgroups: news.groups

   4 <1_S1302xds13@ficc.uu.net>
	Subject: Re: aquaria: version 1
	From: peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
	Newsgroups: news.groups

   5 <UAS1Y:Fxds8@ficc.uu.net>
	Subject: Voting
	From: jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell)
	Newsgroups: news.groups

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (02/20/90)

In article <1990Feb19.191033.19902@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
> Here are ranks, counts, and Message-IDs (and subjects, authors,
> and newsgroups if available) of the most useless articles that
> appeared here in news.all over the last seven days.
>
> Rank ID
>   1 <90132@elsie.UUCP>
>	Subject: Articles most often cited in comp.all
>	From: news@elsie.UUCP (news)
>	Newsgroups: news.misc

I like this information.  I cannot read every message in every group,
but I do like to pick up on some of the ongoing discussions and even
an occasional flame war.  The most cited list helps me locate discussions
that I might otherwise miss when it is an "obscure" group (i.e., one that
I do not normally read).

I do wish that this list was smarter, and that it was more keyed to
discussion rather than the references line.  It would also be nice
to have the information aged (last 3 days, last 7 days, last 14 days,
last 21 days, ...--well, maybe not last 3, but you get the point).
Finally, I would mind if the breath was extended to all groups.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                ...uunet!rosevax!bungia!wd0gol!newave!john

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (02/23/90)

Catering to aficionados of long-winded post-athon threads and flame wars
means catering to that which is WORST about Usenet.

Even where the 'most frequently cited' list is meaningful, it's pernicious.

If someone wanted to start a mail based voting daemon that took votes on
the most VALUABLE postings, as decided by individual readers (a filter
script that passed the ID to mail wouldn't be hard to write and
distribute), then the daemon could post a 20 MOST VALUABLE list
periodically.

This would reward the folks who post ONE article full of vital, useful
info (the kind that NEEDS no followup), which is the primary cost
justification for carrying this mess in the first place.