[news.misc] Mail security

karl_kleinpaste@charcoal.com (08/02/90)

ables@lot.aca.mcc.com writes:
   This topic started in news.misc, but seems more appropriate here.

True enough.

   [quoting me:]
   > A paper on the subject, "Averting One's Eyes -- Ethical
   > approaches to Postmastering," is the result.  You can find a copy via
   > ftp in tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/sendmail/postethics, or via uucp as
   > osu-cis!~/sendmail/postethics.

Ahem.

Pat saw my posting and observed that...

	The paper was done as an ACM project for a conference, and I'm
	worrried about distribution without that copyright being there.

It seems that the copy I put in my archive area was the copy of the
paper mailed direct to me and the other 68 who responded to the
survey.  It lacked the copyright, but I didn't know it at the time.

The copy of postethics has been renamed postethics.bad and chmod'd to
0400 and I will get a new copy when I find out from Pat from where I
can ftp one.  Those holding a copy, please get a new one when it
appears "shortly."

Apologies to all, and especially Pat.

--karl

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (08/03/90)

I once caught a postmaster snooping into my mail as it passed through
his site.  I guess he was bored.  Or something.  For the next few days
I sent through a bunch of messages to a mutual acquaintance about this
guy's personal hygiene or lack thereof, and then I stopped using that
routing.

Not a general solution, but a lot of fun.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
   "Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad
                      judgement." -- Jim Horning

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (08/04/90)

When there are problems with the mailing system, the postmaster gets
copies of private email mailed to him.  It's analogous to falling in
his lap.  It happened to me today.  A friend had sent me mail, his
system provided a bogus address, I didn't get it, my postmaster did.
He handed me a printed copy.  I was lucky that he could tell it was
intended for me.  And I was lucky it wasn't very private in nature.
--
                                        Tom Reingold
                                        tr@samadams.princeton.edu